Krieghoff Hubertus

SWS1

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
I’m lucky to have survived a pretty bad mountain hunting accident - 250m fall, two helicopter rescue, severe traumatic brain injury, smashed leg and a year of my life that I can’t remember. I’m pretty good three years on, and apart from a shockingly bad memory for names and an inability to run or climb mountains life carries on. Until my accident I was a dedicated mountain hunter- mad keen on persuing hairy goats all over the world. Keen enough that the family moved from England to New Zealand!
post accident hunting took a back seat for a year or so whilst I learnt the basics of life again… one year on and I was hunting fallow, two years on I’d started hunting reds as well and this year managed sambar and whitetail.
during the recovery I mentioned to my wife that I’d love a lifetime rifle for my 40th. After a complete nightmare with Blaser and their agent I ordered a krieghoff Hubertus.
I decided on a traditional kipplauf caliber of 7x65r for hunting most things on earth that didn’t require a heavy caliber.
engraving was chosen to try to give me a design that could be replicated across the krieghoff range of guns… I’m a fan of their K80 for clays and will get a big game in 470nitro at some stage.
wood was selected from the Grade 4 blanks and I really like the straight grain..
She is currently being load developed for; but the factory test pattern was pleasing. I’m planning on using 150gn accubond lr in her.

She will be coming to Takeri in September next year..

A51D1C4D-005E-48D3-90CF-18EA9A9F28AA.jpeg
5F3E2663-3D6D-401C-8DB1-CB87D03A6BB8.jpeg
79355B17-2EAC-4924-AF5D-467487C849AF.jpeg
E164F245-0624-419D-9FD4-87D25595C27E.jpeg
729DD804-C2F4-4381-9F94-6865226D5FA5.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for your misfortune. Your perseverance is inspiring. That is an absolutely stunning rifle!

Sure glad you are able to get out and hunt again, and WOW, that is an awesome looking rifle!!

If men were meant to hunt the steepest mountains, we would have been given cloven hooves. ;) Truly glad you are recovering so well and still have priorities in order. Somehow a single shot in 7x65R is one of the most perfectly balanced things ever created by man. You could not have a more beautiful example.

Equally as important, welcome aboard! And that is one heck of an ibex - Mid Asian?

That’s a fantastic rifle! Glad to hear you’re recovering well and still able to do the things you love.

Congratulations on your perseverance regardless of adversity, and best wishes for hunting success with your new rifle! I have just started hunting with my own K. Hubertus and have been very satisfied after its first season. I expect you will also be happy with yours. May your days afield be many, and successful!

If men were meant to hunt the steepest mountains, we would have been given cloven hooves. ;) Truly glad you are recovering so well and still have priorities in order. Somehow a single shot in 7x65R is one of the most perfectly balanced things ever created by man. You could not have a more beautiful example.

Equally as important, welcome aboard! And that is one heck of an ibex - Mid Asian?
Thank you! Yes, in hindsight I wish I’d discovered an African passion before I embarked on mad mountain adventures!
Yes I thought a kipplauf in 7x65r would be an elegant weapon to hunt the world with. They have kindly also built me a 375 flanged barrel for it… which should arrive late this year.
Indeed a mid Asian from Tajikistan.. one of two I took on the same trip.. the guides called miss on my first shot (at this one) and I called hit, then hit it again (again called a miss by guides); so I shot at the last one of the group which was making a speedy get away across a glacier.. again I said hit (they said no). Result was two perfectly shot big ibex!
loved your report on your Zambia adventure.

Congratulations on your recovery . God bless you. Happy hunting to you.
Krish

Not much to add, just that I love my Krieghoff Hubertus a lot. With that baby I do all my hunting in Germany and elsewhere in Europe, the caliber is 6,5x57R - the most traditional one for such rifle.
1F1C021E-7658-45FF-9FBB-E8395E28DCB3.jpeg
83282AB4-3AFF-4D5C-B620-103046BBBFEE.jpeg
677F359E-8291-4879-BD32-C7F13A8691B1.jpeg

Looks like we need a dedicated single-shot rifle thread.

@SWS1 can you tell us a bit more about the circumstances of your accident? Perhaps it might save someone in the future from repeating the experience.

Very inspiring life events @SWS1 and congrats with a very fine rifle!

Great weapon,
Congratulations on being back among the living.
I think mountain hunting is always dangerous .
I know of some who fell to their deaths hunting chamois.

The calibre is perfect.

Attached are a few European loads.
IMG_0001.jpg

Great weapon,
Congratulations on being back among the living.
I think mountain hunting is always dangerous .
I know of some who fell to their deaths hunting chamois.

The calibre is perfect.

Attached are a few European loads.View attachment 479317
Thank you for those. Yes in New Zealand we loose a few each year to accidents in the mountains when hunting. Unfortunately it’s a perilous passion.

Thank you for those. Yes in New Zealand we loose a few each year to accidents in the mountains when hunting. Unfortunately it’s a perilous passion.
Oh yes.
A friend of mine slipped last year while hunting in a steep mountain forest and fell 8m over a granite ledge.
Apart from bruises, nothing happened......
I think I will open a thread "Your hunting accidents".
But for now, let's enjoy your beautiful gun.

Your recovery is an inspirational story! It's impressive that you not only recovered but ventured back into hunting. And congratulations on this beautiful rifle. May you create many happy memories with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NildaBarre

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?