Koringkoopie safaris *Warning* stay away

This whole story stinks! I truly feel for you and your girl friend. I believe this reinforces my thought of not wanting to hunt with the owner. A PH working for an outfitter will bend over backwards to make sure that you are taken care of.
One thing you didn’t mention was how was the staff? Normally they are courteous to a fault and very helpful. I definitely haven’t been in a camp where there was no dedicated chef. The PH’s would get together to grill some meat and sausage but that was normally a time to sip a sundowner and tell stories while flipping steaks.
Normally I just go with the flow on safari but after all of the empty promises and changes in plans I may have come unglued. The truth goes a long way and why tell you something one minute and not carry it out . I have also never heard of a PH backing a client on plainsgame. That is usually reserved for DG and is discussed at the beginning of a safari.
Even though this was a donation hunt it seems like you went above and beyond trying to help the owner out by adding some premium animals, renting a rifle and adding a day. And his giraffe trophy fee he donated was covered by the extras you did. I have one auction hunt and it was superb. I added about $ 5000 in extra stuff and animals and the outfitter was pleased with it . He told a few stories about other auction winners that would refuse to shoot anything extra to the point that he only donates 1 hunt a year now. Seems to me you did your part and they let you down in a big way. Both the outfitter and PHASA

Last edited:
Before I bid on it I actually read great reviews on this site. So sometimes reviews don't help. Or as I mentioned before maybe something changed or I caught them at a bad time. I don't know. Like I mentioned I tried to be nice and yes I wasn't spending a fortune there but easily a 8k hunt for 5 days.
The whole thing sucks and it sounds like you handled it better than many of would've.

How the outfitter handles this all will tell us a lot about him and his business.

This is not the first negative report that has come along. It happens and its hard for hunters sometimes to bring these issues forward, especially in a public forum as this. I commend you for telling your story and hopefully helping someone else avoid a similar experience.

We have had fake negative reports in the past ( i.e. disgruntled employee or competitor outfitter) and sometimes it takes a bit to sort through some of the BS. In this case I am convinced that you not one of those. Thank You. I am personally looking forward to the outfitters response.......

I really try to roll with the punches and not be negative. I will say for not having a cook the dinners were always good. Alot of meat they cooked on the grill. The other food was made by Jacs wife and or mother. All was good. My girlfriend loved all of it as it was so different from what she had in the Philippines. As for the staff I never saw the cleaning ladies they came and went while we were out. Did see them drive by us while hunting the goat poop pile in their golf cart. This hunt was the least interaction I ever had with a tracker. Like I reported some times he was there and sometimes not. I think my girlfriend talked to them more then me when she was left on the truck with them. I did give one a camo hat after he was tracking the giraffe in a hunter orange hat. After the giraffe hunt I told them all I had no problem with them and that my frustration was with there boss. I didn't get a chance to see them after the waterbuck or I would have said the same once again.

The thing that is mind boggling for me is the other hunter in camp Jonathan won his hunt at a show in the USA that Jac had a booth at. He was a bow hunter so now rifle rental at first. This was his first time hunting in Africa. I knew this when after day one he said to me " they said all the animals are wild but it seems like we go from one big fenced area to the next, and there's alots of gates. So they never told him it would be high fence. Could you imagine flying all the way to RSA thinking it was free range to see fences. Anyways he added one day, he won a Impala and a warthog. He then added a kudu and a gemsbuck. They let him shoot a old sable cow. He told me his wounded Impala and wounded gemsbuck was shot by his ph jacs brother. Said the gemsbuck took 3 more shots. So they treated him well but his bill wasn't much different then mine other then he was having all his animals mounted by Jacs wife including the female sable. I was under impressed by his "trophy warthog and Impala" too but never said anything. I'll post pictures and you guys can be the judge. This other hunter watched them yell at me during the waterbuck incident. Later he said to me you know they worked hard to get you that animal. I knew then they had made me out as the bad guy. To me his statement was about as good as saying a Nigerian con man deserves the money they steal because they put effort into the con.

FB_IMG_1723000571931~2.jpg

That impala and warthog at best are culls not even near trophy size.

Obviously this guy is more concerned about his firewood business than his hunting outfit and clients.

Simply Pathetic!!

Sorry you had a bad hunt. No excuse, but I feel taxidermy choices played a big part in this. I am guessing they thought they would recover some of their costs thru his wifes taxidermy.

I imagine this thread will go on for a long time. I hope both sides have their say. Things like this should never happen. If this hunt is there norm they will not stay in business long. Does anyone know how long they have been doing ranch hunts.

Lon

Sorry you had a bad hunt. No excuse, but I feel taxidermy choices played a big part in this. I am guessing they thought they would recover some of their costs thru his wifes taxidermy.

I imagine this thread will go on for a long time. I hope both sides have their say. Things like this should never happen. If this hunt is there norm they will not stay in business long. Does anyone know how long they have been doing ranch hunts.

Lon

From the reviews that I read on the website that was posted in an earlier thread at least since 2014.

It sounds like you have a very bad hunt and were trying to make the best of it from your point of view. I’ve been on a hunt where the outfitter was preoccupied with other things and it impacted the hunt.

I personally wouldn’t mind hearing the PH/Outfitters side of the story. As with everything there are two sides. I’m not saying your side isn’t correct or that you were the nightmare client with unrealistic expectations they could never make happy, just that everyone has their own version and then there’s the truth that generally lies somewhere in between. From your photos I’m not super impressed with the trophy quality or hunting from the truck in the breeding pen. I’m not someone who’s going to just “go along” because I think it’ll ruin the rest of the hunt. I’ve had to speak up to an outfitter or two and had no issues. Communication is key, and if I’m not happy about something they can’t fix it unless they know.

The yelling ….. unprofessional/wrong. Sounds like everyone was pretty emotionally charged. I think the outfitter was upset because he was of the mindset you pulled the trigger and you should’ve known on the waterbuck. I think he had a different view on the giraffe and his views/ethics were different than your views. Not saying either of your views/ethics are wrong. Seems like you felt a little pressured on the reedbuck and some other species and weren’t happy with some other facets of the hunt which might’ve tarnished some parts of your hunt/experience. I’ll reiterate, his handling of it was wrong even if he thought you were wrong, two wrongs don’t make a right.

I agree with you on the observer portion. Did you ever express this to him?

I wouldn’t have liked other stuff taking priority over my hunt, sometimes things can’t be avoided, other times they can.

There were a few comments you made Pre-Hunt that raised a few flags with me. I’ve done several auction hunts including some in Africa. I try to go into auction hunts with a lower expectation or standard and generally the standard I have for full priced hunts met or exceeded. Ive had one bad auction hunt but the hunting itself was actually pretty good.

I differ from a few people on a couple things and this is where I’d like the outfitters side ….

1) I understand not liking the idea of the PH finishing your giraffe, BUT I also understand not wanting an animal to suffer longer than it needs. Your PH had seen you shoot previously, Giraffe can be extremely tough animals to kill specially when wounded and maybe he was forced to make a decision, maybe he was being spiteful, maybe it was his rule. I’ve heard some horror stories about wounded giraffes and the goat ropes that ensue chasing them. He might’ve been trying to avoid this, I wasn’t there so I’m not going to armchair quarterback his decision. Head shooting it and ruining the skull when he was already down I 100% think crossed the line. A PH knows the anatomy and could’ve put another insurance shot in him elsewhere.

2) Waterbuck …. You saw it multiple times, if you didn’t look at the horns that’s on YOU. You pulled the trigger. You were trusting your PH on whether or not he was mature, but your PH can’t know if you’ll be happy with him. Seeing the other photos and looking a little closer he does look a little more mature than I first thought from your hanging picture. Your PH can’t read your mind on what shape you like. He could’ve overheard you make the comment about not liking ugly or odd horns if he wasn’t doing his firewood, or he might not have overheard it if he wasn’t on the phone because the comment wasn’t made to him. YOU’RE the hunter, YOU’RE responsible for communicating what YOU want and for not pulling the trigger unless YOU’RE happy with the animal. You said you’re a duck hunter mainly, do you just shoot any bird out of a flock or do you ID them first? What if you’re hunting and you’ve already got your 1 duck down for a species like a Black Duck or Pintail that has a smaller bag limit than the overall bag limit. Do you just shoot at a mixed flock or pick a specific bird out? Ground shrinkage is real, if we all could not pay a trophy fee or crab walk backwards after pulling the trigger outfitters would go bankrupt. It’d happen left and right. Guys would call trophies a cull to them. It sounds like your PH did work hard to get you that animal. It sounds like they made you out to be the bad guy to the other hunter as shown by his comment. As I said there are two sides to every story but IMO you’re ending something’s life it’s on you to make sure that reason is justified, which in this case is being happy with the trophy shape, not size.

3) Reedbuck … no one held a gun to your head forcing you to pull the trigger. If you didn’t want something from a breeding pen or a truck speak up. Tell the PH thanks, but if we can’t hunt on foot let’s spend more time looking for Black Springbok, or the Waterbuck. I don’t know a single PH or Outfitter who’d be mad about not wanting to shoot from the truck and you caving probably helped impact what he thought of you as a hunter even though he had a hand in it.

These are all my opinions with some speculation until we get the outfitter/PH’s story. I think many of your frustrations are valid. I know we all leave outfitter reviews but has anyone ever wondered what outfitters would review us as to other outfitters as a hunter? I’ve seen an outfitter tell another outfitter not to book a client because of their experience with them. Just a thought of mine that I think about when I’m hunting.

I’m truly sorry your hunt went the way it did and you weren’t happy with the experience or end result. I sincerely hope it doesn’t prevent your girlfriend from wanting to join you in Africa again.

I have reported this thread to phasa im curious to see what they have to say about it,

Is it even legal to kill Hornbills?

Sorry for you terrible experience, hope the next one is better,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SammyCerut

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available