Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
PHASA
Hunted
Europe, America, Canada, Africa
Hello;

Blaser madness continues !!! In addition to the .458 Lott, .375 H&H, .300 Wby, .257 Wby hunting barrels and .223 Rem training barrel I already had, I recently purchased a .22 LR barrel so that I can practice more often at home. We recently finished building our future retirement house on 20 acres, and I now have my own private 100-yard shooting lane. The .223 Rem is a little too noisy, but the .22 LR mild loads are very discreet. The barrel groups 1/2" at 100 yards with Eley Club ammo, so it is a perfect set-up for training. Since the 6" steel plate rings virtually 100% of the times from the quadpod sticks, I have a 3" steel "lollipop" plate coming. This ought to be interesting...

But this only comforts me in the thinking that at 66 year old, the Blaser R8 PH is my last set up (and ultimate one from a practical perspective I would add, if not from an aesthetic perspective...), and I see no point keeping the four safes full... I will instead go to Tanzania...

So, after selling on AH my double .470 Krieghoff, I am now selling my kipplauf (German designation for single-shot, break-open stalking rifle) rifle. It was commissioned in the late 1970's and features everything you want in a kipplauf.

Maker Zanardini. Located in Gardone, Val Trompia, Italy, Zanardini Arms was established in 1946 as a craftsman firm specialized in high-end custom rifles. Pietro Zanardini won in 1971 the Italian rifle makers guild Exhibition First Prize for Quality and Advanced Technology. Barrels are cold hammered from Böhler rasant steel; frames are made of special tri-alloyed nickel-chrome steel and are cementation heat-treated for a very high resistance; internal parts are made of chrome-vanadium steel; stocks are made of selected walnut and oil finished; etc. Regrettably, Pietro Zanardini is no more and his shop disappeared with him.

Model Prinz. Barrel length 24 3/8"; full length rib; silver soldered claw mounts bases integrated in the rib; schnabel forend with Deeley & Edge forend catch; double set triggers; bolstered frame; double Kersten locks; extractor; length of pull 14 5/8" to the front trigger; weight without scope 6 lbs 1 oz; weight scoped 7 lbs 13 oz. The stock initially had a ventilated pad, but I had Griffin & Howe instal one of their timeless natural rubber pad when I moved to the US in the 1980's. The stock is carved from selected French walnut, with 20 lines-per-inch fine checkering. Floral engraving on the bolsters and screws. Solid single standing leaf rear sight and silver front bead on integral barrel rib front sight. Regulated at 100 yards.

Caliber 7x65R. In many folks' opinion, this is the best caliber for a kipplauf. With 8 grams (123 gr) RWS KS bullets it shoots very flat and is a lightning bolt on mountain game, and with 10.5 grams (162 gr) RWS TIG Brenneke bullets, it is Thor's own hammer on massive Russian Wild Boars or Red Stag elks. MOA accuracy with both above mentioned RWS ammunition. I have no doubt that it will shoot well about anything - 7 mm is generally not finicky - but I can only represent what I know for a fact.

Scope Zeiss Diavari-Z T* 2.5 - 10 x 52 mm rail scope. The best Europe had to offer when the rifle was built. Low enough end of the zoom (2.5x) for quick shooting at short range driven game; high enough end of the zoom (10x) for precise shooting at long range mountain game; 52 mm objective for maximum light gathering in dusk and dawn low light, or for shooting at night in the snow as common in the German Black Forest. German A4 reticle. The glass is unscratched and the scope is in perfect condition.

Scope Mount Suhl claw mounts. Simply the best, bar none. Indestructible when combined with a rail scope. Precise return to zero.

Condition This is NOT a Safe Queen. This rifle was commissioned for hunting, and hunt it did, hard and long in the French Alps, the German Black Forest, and French Sologne. BUT it was well loved and well maintained, therefore it is in great used condition. There are numerous small handling/hunting blemishes on the stock, but no gouge; the fine checkering is not damaged, but it is soft from use, and the forend has darkened from many hours/days of hand carry; the blueing starts turning to plum colour in some places, but there is no, and never has been, any rust anywhere; the blueing shows edges wear, but not excessive; etc. The rifle accounted for a number of Chamois, Roe Bucks, Wild Boars, Red Stags, etc. but it was not a recreational high-volume shooting rifle. I would speculate that it has probably between 200 and 300 rounds through it, therefore the chamber, throat and barrels are in perfect condition and rifling is sharp. The rifle saw abundant snow and occasional rain, but it was meticulously maintained and did not suffer from it (see breech pic). In summary, while I am not an NRA expert and I would not venture to give a xx% rating, I will confidently say, and put my credibility on AH on the line, that it is in excellent and well-cared-for used condition, but it is not "as-new." It has acquired character. What IS critical, is that neither action lock nor claw mounts show any play whatsoever.

Accessories The rifle & scope come with transparent scope covers and the 4 boxes of factory RWS 10.5 grams (162 gr) TIG Brenneke ammo (80 rounds) that I have left.

Price Unscoped Krieghoff Hubertus are listed on Gun Broker for $13,000 and scoped Krieghoff Hubertus for $15,000. Let us assume that they are "as-new". This rifle is older and shows honest hunting use, and its scope was the absolute best in the 1980's but is now surpassed by a few % of light transmission by modern Zeiss or Swarovski. I am asking $9,500 for it, which I believe is very fair.

Terms I am not interested in trades, but I am not in a rush nor under financial stress, therefore I will accept a reasonable layaway agreement with well respected AH members. The rifle will ship from FFL to FLL, or I can meet you at the Phoenix airport.

Use I can hardly think of a better PG rifle to go along the double .470 or .500 of a discerning safari hunter: single shot, elegant, solid, classic. It will also reflect very well on its owner in a discriminating Texas lease hunt, or a high-society gathering at Camp Fire. And, quite simply, it will be at home on a hard mountain hunt or a ghostly stalk in the deep forests, as it was with me.

Next step Please PM me if interested. I will happily send whatever detail pic you may want. If you think that I am off on the price, make me an offer I cannot refuse.

Zanardini Prinz right.jpg

Zanardini Prinz left.jpg

Zanardini Prinz close up.jpg

Zanardini Prinz open.jpg

Zanardini Prinz scope.jpg

Zanardini Prinz claw mount.jpg

Zanardini Prinz breech.jpg

Zanardini Prinz ammo.jpg

Last edited:
UPDATE

I was unsure how to price the rifle. Purchase price converted to 2024 US $ is obviously irrelevant - I am well aware that the price has nothing to do with the cost, but is only what a buyer is willing to pay. So, as a first approach I went by comparable rifles market price minus 30% for used factor, and kept the door open by saying "If you think that I am off on the price, make me an offer I cannot refuse."

But I figured that I would ask our own resident expert rookhawk for his opinion.

Here is the key sentence of his answer

1724463342011.png

To make a long story short, the price I asked would likely be OK in Europe where kipplauf are always in high demand and Zanardini is well known by the cognoscenti, but it is unrealistic in the US where the market for kipplauf is small and Zanardini is mostly unknown.

You know... the good old supply & demand thing...

I am therefore reducing the price to a US market realistic $4,250, which essentially means CNC mass-produced price, free Zeiss scope 2.5-10x52, and free claw mounts !!!!!

Sure, the scope is 1980's vintage but I will take and still use Zeiss West German optics over ANY 2024 China/USA/Asia/former Eastern Europe/etc. made optics: the difference in light transmission is unnoticeable except for 15 minutes at dawn/dusk, but the construction and reliability are light years ahead.

Thanks rookhawk for your expertise and willingness to share it. I defer to it :)

I will entertain good faith offers, but there is an obvious point where I will rather keep it than give it away ;)

Last edited:
Kipplaufs are not often seen for sale because they are just super classy rifles and most owners keep them forever. If you've been around here for even a few days, you know Pascal is a great seller and AH contributor as well. I bought his double 470 and would have bought this gun if not for having numerous hunt plans in the works. If you haven't experienced the joy of a GOOD single shot, you don't know what you're missing. I hope this sells quickly so I don't have to keep looking at it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gypseyrose

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!