Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
SSAA, ADA, ACTA, SCI
Hunted
Australia, NZ, RSA
Ripping yarn.

Almost as good as being there ... almost.

Missing Pop already.

Garrick less so.

I first read it in my teens and I take it with me every time I travel to Africa and read from it. It will get you in the mood for your safari.

EH is my favourite ever.
A friend, more than a writer.
When I was a boy, I've been so involved in reading him, that I collected every first edition translated in Italian.
Luckily, wonderfully translated.
IMG_20230918_231834.jpg

He has a very unique way to write, that eventually, influenced mine.
A true Giant.
Green Hills is a Classic that should be taught in schools, but my first was Island In The Stream, and "Bimini" is to me, some of the best wine in his cellar.
Goosebumps...

EH is my favourite ever.
A friend, more than a writer.
When I was a boy, I've been so involved in reading him, that I collected every first edition translated in Italian.
Luckily, wonderfully translated.
View attachment 558298
He has a very unique way to write, that eventually, influenced mine.
A true Giant.
Green Hills is a Classic that should be taught in schools, but my first was Island In The Stream, and "Bimini" is to me, some of the best wine in his cellar.
Goosebumps...
Not to hijack the thread, but I thought I’d reply with my own Hemingway bookshelf. Note the two copies of “Green Hills of Africa.”

IMG_0478.jpeg

I’ve read it before and just got it as an audio book to listen to again as I’m doing some traveling for work. I also thought about getting “True at First Light”, but couldn’t remember which one I liked more.

Green Hills of Africa is a great read. As a teenager I read the short story "Big Two Hearted River" and it really resonated with me. Hemmingway was such a great writer. Its no wonder so many of his stories were adapted to movies in the good old days.

I like to think I'm a present day embodiment of Karl in the novel. As Hemingway would characterize him, "a terrible hunter with infinite luck."

@Hemingway's Karl - It has been said it is better to be lucky, than good when it comes to hunting.

There are some great characters ... @Phil Giordano - the Roman is well liked (y)

I think about Kamau - and how his humble, effective, proactive approach, usually behind the scenes seems to have contributed much to the trip. We could probably do with more of that today.

I loved GHOA, and will re-read it. That said, after reading Ruarks Horn of the Hunter, by far I enjoyed Ruark more. I think I would have enjoyed Ruarks company, not Hemingways so much.

Hemingway was the undisputed master of using dialogue to tell a story. Spend enough time in rural Africa and you will learn to “return” there and even smell it by reading and rereading his stories. Only a true literary genius can create that richness of illusion. It took me awhile to get used to his unique style. Some never do and have to force themselves through it. It does seem tedious and cumbersome to read until the style is learned. Capstick must have read and studied Hemingway, because some of his style can be seen in Capstick’s work.

I've listened to audiobook for Green Hills and loved it. I recently just purchased the Hemingway cookbook which features a recipe for lion fillet, excited for whats in store!

Green Hills is a favorite, read it several times. Ruarks Horn of the Hunter is as good and read it also many times, it was the book that got me hooked when I was a kid in the 60's.
From then on Africa was the goal.
Capstick is the one who made it seem possible though, that and timing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michaellucas

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with