Is swift A-Frame going way of the dinosaur?

Get on the back order list and then call them. I recently received five boxes of 300 grain AF in .375 from Swift.

If you reload then unfortunately your screwed on availability from most of these manufacturers as profit margins on loaded ammo far exceeds the components sale. I would stick with Cutting Edge, North Fork, or Barnes for reloading.
On finished Ammunition I have found the only consistent supply of 375 H&H Swift A-Frames at Pendleton Ammunition. I have even had them do a custom load offering for me in 458 Lott. They were able to match my Federal TBBC load with both a Cutting Edge FTS(500 grain) & Safari Raptor(470 grain) to shoot clover leafs at 100 yards. Load development charge was moderate and I now consistently get either caliber within a week of ordering.

HH

As we all know there has been an undersupply of reloading components for a long time now (Covid, military demand etc). Some companies responded with new production, capital investment (Hornady) and some appeared to do little and not keep people that informed.

A lot of work and expense goes into preparing a load so manufacturers should consider keeping their customers informed and appreciate their position. I’ve got a swift components for a few of my calibers but given how unreliable the supply has been (and uncommunicative the company has been) when those run out I’m moving on to other suppliers.

Absolutely magnificent product but less than stellar customer communications. A pity but a real business opportunity for someone because if you made more you could sell more because Swift components sell themselves.

Like you, I tried to buy .375 Swift A Frames about a year ago to load for a buffalo hunt in May 2024, I ended up buying Barnes .375 300gn TSX bullets and some loaded ammunition, they shot super accurate in Blaser R8 and my son and I had all one shot kills on buffalo cow culling hunt. I will stick with Barnes going forward.

You are right! I did that with the 450-400 ., it is the only reasonable thing to do at this time. I don't expect things to change back to normal anytime soon.
I have to agree with you.

Norma quit making 358 Norma brass. I have a case of 358 Norma FMJ ammo. I'm considering pulling the bullets, dumping the powder and loading up some premium Northfork 358 250gr SS behind a hefty dose of Norma URP. I really don't want to shoot all the FMJ's. Then again I become concerned about whether or not there could be some retained powder in the case if I pull the bullet and dump the powder. Cant tumble them with a live primer. Maybe it's best to shoot them. Another dilemma in the world of reloading.

Several years ago we moved to Blaser R8 rifles and found the Barnes TTSX & TSX were the most accurate. Even better than the SAF’s we had been using. We shoot 300 grain 375H&H and 165 grain 300WM.

I bought a (near) lifetime supply pre-COVID and sold the SAF’s not long after. The only other ammo I’ve picked up is some inexpensive PPU target stuff for range work.

Since mid-2020 I’ve seen the availability of Swift go in the dump, while the Barnes offerings remained relatively stable.

Is the SAF dead, certainly not. But they need to do a better job of meeting market demands to remain relevant with the upcoming Federal Terminal Ascent and revamped TBBC.

Technology continues to change the shape of the world and ammo is no different.
Yes, new technology is great ..... but how about hard cast and paperwrap? Works and has been used in many big/medium bores. Just thinking out loud???

If you reload then unfortunately your screwed on availability from most of these manufacturers as profit margins on loaded ammo far exceeds the components sale. I would stick with Cutting Edge, North Fork, or Barnes for reloading.
On finished Ammunition I have found the only consistent supply of 375 H&H Swift A-Frames at Pendleton Ammunition. I have even had them do a custom load offering for me in 458 Lott. They were able to match my Federal TBBC load with both a Cutting Edge FTS(500 grain) & Safari Raptor(470 grain) to shoot clover leafs at 100 yards. Load development charge was moderate and I now consistently get either caliber within a week of ordering.

HH
I've got a 505 Gibbs and 416 Rigby. I've yet to purchase reloading brass, dies, component bullets for either one. I've got ample supply of powder & enough primers. With such severe shortages for the 505 I've considered sending it to Pendletons or Hendershots for workup with Swift A-Frame 570gr and Northfork 600gr CPS. Then again, I want to do a load with RL-15 and a filler to keep velocity to about 2150 fps while allowing my shoulder and retina's to remain with my body. I think there's enough 416 Rigby fodder out there to cook up my own. I'm planning on getting some Northfork 430gr SS and CPS, again loaded to 2150 or 2200 fps.

It's a shame we're continuing to have such supply chain shortages/availability issues from some of the top named guys, like Swift. Hopefully, as others have said, if Bill Hober sells out or retires there's a good solution for continued production of the A-Frames. I've had nothing but spectacular results in every caliber I've tried them in. I've never encountered a failure nor heard of one for that matter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeighL7756

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?