Is it worth keeping?

Adrian

AH fanatic
Joined
Jun 18, 2013
Messages
789
Reaction score
1,389
Media
266
Articles
3
Hunting reports
Africa
6
Europe
1
Hunted
England year round and Namibia x5.
I just got a crate of bits from my first safari. I had the parts dipped and shipped.
I took a look at my Kudu backskin and the majority of the hair is loose and has fallen to the bottom of the wrapping.
There are also a lot of bug cases in there.
I realise the photos aren't exactly clear but the skin is stiff and not easy to open out to take better.
DSC_0670.JPG

DSC_0666.JPG

DSC_0668.JPG
 
hmmmm.
 
I think you have to get your taxidermist to take a look before sending out to tan.
 
Yes I will do I hope it's just the back skin. It smells different than the cape and on quick inspection the other skins seem intact from what I can see.
 
I would get them separated and to your taxidermist ASAP.
 
Hi Adrian

Which taxidermist are you going to use
 
Probably Colin upon your recommendation.
I do have one closer to home that I've used previously for birds but I don't know who does the African work for him.
I'll err on the side of caution and go with someone who comes with good reviews.
 
You got bugs in the crate then they are on every skin , inside the folds and eating everything.....Bad DIP PACK and PREP in africa....Sad story
We see with companies that really don't care....Better bug bomb the crate MASSIVELY .... get it all out keep horns away from skins, that where the bug are breeding, using the skin as food.....Not a good thing at all....Better find a taxidermist that SPECIALIZES in AFRICAN to hand the repair issues you will need....and capes if you need them
 
Thank you Dennis, I appreciate your input. I have removed everything from the crate and it is not being used to store the items. I will unwrap the horns and skulls tomorrow and inspect them and check the skins as best I can.
The other skins and capes do look ok at first glance but I will be sure to look for the issues you highlight.
 
Who did dip/pack in Africa? I don't want to use them.
 
I'm not sure. I can find out. I know this skin was in the salt very quickly so there was no problem with the initial handling and treatment of it.
 
not good at all, who did your dip and ship?
 
Wow, very unfortunate.
 
As aforementioned.... please state dip & pack service. Bad service has to be pointed out.... they can do something about.... make right. Otherwise, it will continue & victimize.
 
Any updates on the dip and ship company? I'd like to know so I can avoid them.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,424
Messages
1,575,847
Members
170,403
Latest member
Dana379389
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top