Insurance

barbells.and.arrows

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa, US
I've searched, and I know it has been talked about many times, but for the sake of beating a dead horse I'll ask it again.
Best travel insurance for medevac, medical repatriation, etc. I know Global Rescue is a supporter of the boards, but I've read mixed reviews regarding them.
Then comes the other problem of other companies don't cover you if you are hunting "big game." What constitutes big game? I know in the US I would consider whitetail big game, so is only dangerous game big game in RSA?
My last problem is $250ish for Global Rescue if I don't need it seems pricey, but then if I need it I know it will be cheap.

Because someone will ask two people under 35 going to RSA later this year not hunting dangerous game with no health issues, but I'm generally under the mindset I would rather have it and not use it than not have it and need it.

I thought about it also but at 54 and some health issues it was a no brainer. Global Rescue for medical evac was only $159 for a 14 day trip policy. Jennifer @Travel Express got me trip insurance thru one of there companies for under $200. Because you never know what might happen. Better to be safe than sorry. My thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then comes the other problem of other companies don't cover you if you are hunting "big game." What constitutes big game? I know in the US I would consider whitetail big game, so is only dangerous game big game in RSA?

In Africa "Big Game" is equated with DANGEROUS GAME.
Elephant, Hippo, Buffalo, Lion, Leopard, Crocodile, Rhino or either shade.

............ I'm generally under the mindset I would rather have it and not use it than not have it and need it.

That is why you will be buying the insurance. Your risk tolerance is what will make the decision in the end.

Three that are totally exclusive:
1. Trip Cancellation
2. Rescue Repatriation
3. Medical

Thus far, I have only ever purchased 2 and 3.

Please clarify what medical evac companies will insure hunters but not for big game hunting?

Only “Insurance”, is Insurance..... many of the outfits/agreements offer services, but not “Insurance coverage”. As in no payment or coverage for treatment. Some will offer advice or pay for transportation/logistics for care. Basically, to get you out. You have to ask yourself.... where will you be, what could happen & can your PH get you to a facility. In most cases in RSA..... I think the PH is qualified enough to get you to hospital for care, much faster & efficiently than probably any service. A heart attack in the Himalayas.... now that’s different.

@BWH, I concur with your post. With the exception of an emergency and getting to a Doc or hospital, I am most concerned about getting medically evacuated back to the states if necessary. I will be covered for these possible problems during the month of July. This will be my second year to use Global Rescue in Africa.

First, these products are not “insurance” and not regulated as insurance. Second, your credit card may come with an evac plan, for example AMEX platinum and above do. Shop around, if you want trip interruption just remember Global Rescue are just the sales agent for what they sell.

@BWH, I concur with your post. With the exception of an emergency and getting to a Doc or hospital, I am most concerned about getting medically evacuated back to the states if necessary. I will be covered for these possible problems during the month of July. This will be my second year to use Global Rescue in Africa.

@sierraone agree. If med evac is greatest concern, then no doubt an op like global rescue or ripcord are great choices. I purchased GR for my first 2 Trips

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alejandra6

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia