In Search Of 338 Win Mag

Backyardsniper

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I have a buddy looking for a 338 win mag. Nothing too fancy, probably the less fancy the better. If you have one you are interested in parting with then let me know what you got. I don't believe he is looking to spend a lot of money, I would say in the $1200 or less range and leaning towards less.

See if he has interest in a Sako A IV (A5)
Purchased new in late 1980. Came with a KDF " Recoil Reducer" (muzzle brake).

It's loud. Non standard to today's threads.

Some dings. Estimate about 1,000 rounds in its life. I did a moderately good job on glass bedding a few years ago.

Likes factory 225 Federal TTBC and more recently Barnes 185 gr TTSX reloads.

$750 plus shipping CONUS to your FFL. Dealer needs to supply copy of FFL and might have to provide a shipping label.
20220925_124510.jpg
(You pay him for the freight.)

20220925_124556.jpg

See if he has interest in a Sako A IV (A5)
Purchased new in late 1980. Came with a KDF " Recoil Reducer" (muzzle brake).

It's loud. Non standard to today's threads.

Some dings. Estimate about 1,000 rounds in its life. I did a moderately good job on glass bedding a few years ago.

Likes factory 225 Federal TTBC and more recently Barnes 185 gr TTSX reloads.

$750 plus shipping CONUS to your FFL. Dealer needs to supply copy of FFL and might have to provide a shipping label.View attachment 491720 (You pay him for the freight.)
I will check with him. That is a nice rig there

10-4.
Let me know.

20220925_123231.jpg

Worst of the dings, I think.
FYI, color is actually more mahogany. The bright sun makes it look more reddish than actual.

Edit to add: Rings and bases are Tally, steel, 1" on the rings.

View attachment 491734
Worst of the dings, I think.
FYI, color is actually more mahogany. The bright sun makes it look more reddish than actual.

Edit to add: Rings and bases are Tally, steel, 1" on the rings.
Thanks man. I will get him some pics of it. He works at the LGS so I will catch up with him tomorrow or Tuesday most likely.

Roger that @Backyardsniper
Please let him know there is someone else with interest, but you are first in line.

OK. The Sako is sold pending the usual red tape.

Cabelas in Sidney NE has a M70 338 Win in the gun room. Fluted barrel around $8 or 900

Throw money til I cry "stop" and I'll sell him my business rifle. I'm old and out of business.

That's a nice one, I bet it'll go off the rails though when the bidding gets down to the end.
I have the same rifle, its excellent in all ways. Best .338 I have owned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BonnyHicks

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?