In memoriam - RIP Namibian PH Gert van der Walt

Zinz

AH member
Reaction score
Media
My friends in Namibia passed this along to me just thing morning:

From Omujeve Hunting Safaris facebook page:

Our dear friend, PH Gert van der Walt, tragically passed away following a fatal encounter with a problem elephant. Gert leaves behind a loving wife and two children who now face the difficult task of bringing his body back to Windhoek to his final resting place and additional expenses associated with the loss of this exceptional man. Rest in peace, our dear friend Gert. Your legacy and spirit will forever remain in our hearts and the wild places you loved.

Ed Z
Cedar Park, Texas

Last edited by a moderator:
This is horrible news, my sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Deepest Condolences to his family and friends for thier tragic lose. May he Rest In Peace.

That’s awful news. Prayers for his family and friend while they endure this hardship.

Tragic news, especially for those that are left behind to cope. On the positive side He did lead a life he loved, but no one wants to end like this.

Tragic news. Condolences and prayers to his family.

Devastating to his family, friends and associates, RIP. but after reading the news article, what is wrong with some social media people, truing to create controversy, a man lost his life.If you can't say something good, say nothing at all.

Terrible news to hear. Prayers for his family.

Glad to see NAPHA issue a statement correcting the social media noise quickly - good on them.

I've also shared this with the DSC Frontline Foundation for consideration. For those that don't know, it is a great foundation that provides direct financial support when professionals working in hunting conservation are injured or killed while working in hunting conservation. PHs, trackers, anti-poaching, etc. are eligible.

TRULY A SAD TRAGEDY ,not any other way to look at it, Its a dangerous business, even so I wonder if to many people were present which threw him off a bit in his timing or instincts. sympathy to wife and children. prayers.

We just got back earlier this week from Namibia. The news has deeply affected our good friends there. Condolences to all those who knew him and especially to his family. Apparently our PH had spoken with Gert only a few days before these events. So tragic.

Very sad, prayers for the family!

I spoke with Gert last week about this problem ele. I will regret the rest of my life that I didn't go. He was a long time friend and is sorely missed.

Horrible news. Pardon my ignorance, but is he Pierre van der Walt's son?

It is unfortunate, particularly having his young son witness it; however, it is also compelling that he (and so many others) pursue their passions aware of the risks. We all die, but only some truly live. RIP

RIP

My prayers and condolences go out to the family, may he Rest in Peace.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
recsporttv

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Sue Tidwell's profile.
Just finished your book (audio) and ordered a hardback for my Library. You did a wonderful job explaining the way conservation works in Africa, and my wife is interested in reading your book now. Thank you for your work.
Bluecyclone wrote on LES7's profile.
Hello there,
Could you tell me if your model 70 has two recoil lugs? I have heard some of the super express rifles had one, while the safari express has two.
Thank you.
Brant.
Saddlemaker wrote on Drexel64742's profile.
Hi Drexel, Would like to purchase your brass , Would a business check be fine?
overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!