In memoriam - Of A Fellow Forum Member @Major Khan Whom I Both Greatly Admired & Loathed

Rest in peace Major.

Rest in peace Major. I enjoyed your stories.

It is with a heavy heart that I must inform our fellow forum members that Major Poton Khan (Forum Name @Major Khan) has breathed his last at 8 AM on 8th January, 2024 in his home. He was 81 years old & very healthy for his age, but suffered from a lifelong fondness towards Keru (a locally brewed liquor which is often not distilled properly in order to to cleansed of all impurities). It is believed that poisoning from a large quantity of Keru is what caused his unfortunate demise.

The Major and I had a very turbulent relationship; one which was plagued by many petty immaturities on both our parts over the last 52 years . I first had occasion to meet him at a War Veterans commemorative dinner in 1972. Both of us had just returned from our service in the 1971 Indo-Pak war (him being a Major & I being a Staff Sergeant). He had suffered a bullet wound to the lower right side of his face and was facially disfigured (although reconstructive surgery in the United States in 1974 would eventually repair his face significantly). He was bitter, but also a great story teller and we fellow war veterans were immediately drawn towards his tales of heroism and adventure during & before the war. He was a commanding officer of a force reconnaissance unit during the war and had (by all accounts) gotten shot only because he was trying to save the lives of the freedom fighters under his command. And he was well decorated with the highest possible military award being granted to him. He and I became fast friends and being only a wing shooter up until that point in my life, I was greatly inspired by his tales of big game hunting (immediately aspiring to commence this exciting new hobby myself). He would frequently make casually condescending remarks about my mother’s Pakistani heritage, but I took it all in good humor.

After the war, the Major chose to remain in the army for another 2 decades while I decided (for a combination of reasons) to pursue a career in forestry (working for various forest departments across the nation up until 1993, depending upon where the Ministry of Forests would have me stationed). Aside from immensely being in love with forest life (including but not limited to hunting), I had another reason to pursue a career as a forest ranger instead of choosing to remain behind in the army. I was well aware of the fact that we were living in a newly born nation and that political instability was rampant. I anticipated that violent military coupes would soon become a regular occurrence in the near future (I was not wrong in this regard), and that during military coupes… army officers often suffer the worst.

The Major and I remained very friendly towards each other through out the entirety of the 1970s, although he always had a hair trigger temper and could get extremely aggressive if someone disagreed with him regarding matters that were as trivial as the best bullet that could be used on big game. On one particular incident in 1974, I had just returned from a big game hunting safari to Kenya and was sharing my experiences with other hunters at the Dacca Rifle Club. When I remarked how poorly I thought of Winchester Silver Tip bullets (much preferring Remington Core Lokt to them), the Major completely went feral with rage and gave me a sound rant in front of everybody else present. Even though I personally found his behavior to be quite vulgar (especially considering that I had hunted in Africa & he never did), I immediately apologized to him since he was both my senior in age and rank.

In 1981, I was posted for my first term as DFO (Divisional Forest Officer) of the Sundarban mangrove forests while the Major became a supervisor at the Bengal Ordinance Factories branch in Khulna. Friction between us increased because I would not grant hunting permits for more than 2 Axis stags per season in each of the region’s four forest ranges. I was merely carrying out orders from the CCF (Chief Conservator Of Forests) and was doing my job, but the Major took it very personally that I did not grant him an unlimited number of hunting permits. He also didn’t think too kindly of me enacting a zero tolerance policy towards anybody killing Royal Bengal tigers (again, I was merely carrying out my orders).

When the Man Eater of Mohesshoripur began his depredations upon local residents in 1981, the Major developed an openly antagonistic relationship with me because I was completely unwilling to let anybody hunt down the Man Eater until the Ministry of Forests issued a ”Kill-Order” for the problem animal in question (even though I personally wanted the Man Eater to be killed as well, I was still determined to carry out my orders from my superiors). This they eventually did, and I successfully shot the creature shortly afterwards (though more through sheer luck than out of any skill on my part). The Major had filed a complaint to the CCF about my “Ineptness“. And he would file similar complaints against me when the Man Eater of Talpatti and the the Man Eater of Chand Pai were at large (which would eventually be killed by forest guard Pachabdi Gazi and myself in 1987 & 1988 respectively). By 1988, we could both hardly be called friends anymore although we were still cordial with each other.

Our relationship took a very dark turn in 1989 during the hunt for the Man Eater of Atharobeki. When the Ministry of Forests had issued the “Kill Order” for the tiger, the Major and Brigadier General Mahmudul Hassan (along with their sepoys) had gone off into the Sundarbans for six weeks in order to hunt down the problem animal. I had loaned them a forest department launch, as well as some of my most dedicated forest guards for their assistance. What occurred next was downright disastrous. When they went to the Sundarbans to hunt down the Man Eater of Atharobeki, they massacred 5 Royal Bengal tigers… none of whom were the man eater in question- 1 male tiger, 3 tigresses (1 of whom was pregnant) & 1 sub-grown cub. The news eventually got leaked to the media (because of the Major's "Boasts") and the ignorant anti hunting masses publicly rioted outside the Ministry of Forests until CCF Noor Uz Zaman publicly declared never to issue another ”Kill-Order” ever again after the Man Eater of Atharobeki would be dispatched. My second administrative term overseeing the Sundarban mangrove forests had already come to an end by then, but even I was appalled at what had occurred. I was even more consumed with rage because I had learnt that the Major was physically abusing all of my staff and treating them like dogs during his six weeks stay in Atharobeki (including hurling a boot at one of their faces). A very public and aggressive argument broke out between the two of us. Long story short, the Major was prohibited from setting foot inside the Sundarbans for many years to come (until a new government came to power) and was forced to resign from his position in the Ordinance Factories. I ended up shooting the Man Eater of Atharobeki, using the already existing “Kill-Order”. And as of this time of writing in 2024, that was the final Royal Bengal tiger to be legally killed in the Sundarban mangrove forests.

In the following years, I became CCF myself in 1993 and held onto the post until 2000. After that I pursued a career in politics for a decade and held two terms as an MP (Member of Parliament). The Major began a very public smear campaign against me but considering my reasonable amount of success over the years… I don’t think it worked very well. I was able to peacefully retire from politics and adjust well to civilian life.

As we both grew old, the Major and I both buried the hatchet although we were still far from friends. Up until his dying day, one of his favorite stories to tell about me was that I made one of my forest guards kill those 3 man eating Royal Bengal tigers and I simply posed with their carcasses for the photographs. Nevertheless, I am genuinely sad to hear of his tragic passing.

Now, I will address a controversy that many of our fellow forum members have had about the Major. He always claimed (both on these forums and to all those who knew him in real life) that he was a professional hunter/ professional Shikari in India during the 1960s (prior to the Indo-Pak war in 1971 and India banning hunting by passing the so-called “Wildlife Protection Act” in 1972). I can’t say for certain what the truth really was, since I first met him in 1972 after the hunting ban was enacted in India. I know that he uploaded a few photographs on these forums which were later discredited as being taken from books authored by other hunters. While he was alive, I never said anything out of respect/decency. But even I recognized that practically all of his his “Tiger Hunting Photographs” were really taken from a 1954 book called “The Tigers Of Trengganu“ by Colonel Arthur Locke.

But I also did hunt with him several times throughout the 1970s, so I can personally attest that he was a very good wing shooter as well as being extremely competent at driven hunts for Sambar deer and Bengal bush boar. He also did once make a very impressive shot on a clouded leopard which charged him upon accidentally getting flushed out during a beat for Muntjac deer. His knowledge on firearms and ammunition that were carried into 1960s India by visiting client hunters was also immensely accurate. So what was the truth ? I suppose we’ll never know. What we do know for a fact is that the Major authored around 50 articles on these forums and most made for highly entertaining reads (regardless of whether or not they were true).

Three things are clear about the Major. The first is that something tragic definitely did occur in his life in India between 1970 and 1972. The second is that the Major retained an inherent hatred towards Indians and followers of the Hindu faith all throughout his life. The third is his hatred towards all Pakistani people. And this is quite evident in his writings.

While I can sympathize with his tragedies and it is true that the majority of the Indian Hindu population (post 1972) think inherently negatively about hunting/firearms ownership/meat eating, I never really did see eye to eye with him about his indiscriminate hatred towards an entire race of people. There are so many talented Indians and Hindus in the world (both today and in the past), who make for exceptionally skilled hunters and shooters. An individual must always be assessed on his/her own merit rather than be judged simply for their faith or country of birth. And it is true that we fought against the Pakistani army during the war in 1971, but those days are long gone and the people of a nation shouldn’t be scrutinized for a governmental decision of their leaders 53 years ago.

The war left a very deep impact on Major Poton Khan and he was never quite able to come out of that dark place in his life. He never did move on, even decades after the war ended. And the entire ordeal left him very bitter in later life (which can sometimes be sensed from his writings). Perhaps, that was why he loved to tell his stories on these forums. He wanted to feel important again.

Perhaps, this is all too easy for me to say. I came back from the war to my very loving parents and was later blessed with two very beautiful children (and later grandchildren). All of whom have greatly continued to be my rocks throughout the the years. As well as my friends and staff. By contrast, the Major lived a very lonely life. I understand that he had a family in India who got estranged from him during/ after the war. The story goes that he frequently boasted about some of his more darker deeds during the war to his family members and his wife & in-laws were genuinely disturbed by these boasts.

I had invited him more than a few times to accompany me on Safari to Africa more than a few times during the 1970s and early 1980s. But he never accepted my offer, always insisting that Africa would be far inferior to the hunting opportunities available in pre 1972 India. I genuinely wish that he would have taken me up on my offer. He might have felt better.

Even though the Major and I had our differences, I still believe that (at heart) he was a good man. He and I both essentially wanted the same thing- To see that hunting remains perfectly legal and sustainable for the long term. His article "How I Personally Believe That The Future Of Hunting Can Be Saved" is still one of my personal favorites and allowed me to see how much he genuinely cares about the future of hunting.

I will miss him greatly and I genuinely wish that we could have remained friends.

View attachment 579271
The Major (Left) & I (Right) On A Hunt For Bar Headed Geese in Kukri Island In 1979. Just A Decade Later, Our Friendship Would Take A Disastrous Turn

Rest in peace Major.
Rest in peace Major and thank you Habib, for the insightful stories that we could all learn something from.

My sincere condolences for the loss of the Major and thank you @Hunter-Habib for this eulogy. @Major Khan will be remembered through the many stories that he shared here with our community.

RIP Major.
@Hunter-Habib with your experience with Indian forestry service do you ever see the hunting of Tigers becoming legal again?
Daktari, please read this article of mine. It answers your question very thoroughly.

It is with a heavy heart that I must inform our fellow forum members that Major Poton Khan (Forum Name @Major Khan) has breathed his last at 8 AM on 8th January, 2024 in his home. He was 81 years old & very healthy for his age, but suffered from a lifelong fondness towards Keru (a locally brewed liquor which is often not distilled properly in order to to cleansed of all impurities). It is believed that poisoning from a large quantity of Keru is what caused his unfortunate demise.

The Major and I had a very turbulent relationship; one which was plagued by many petty immaturities on both our parts over the last 52 years . I first had occasion to meet him at a War Veterans commemorative dinner in 1972. Both of us had just returned from our service in the 1971 Indo-Pak war (him being a Major & I being a Staff Sergeant). He had suffered a bullet wound to the lower right side of his face and was facially disfigured (although reconstructive surgery in the United States in 1974 would eventually repair his face significantly). He was bitter, but also a great story teller and we fellow war veterans were immediately drawn towards his tales of heroism and adventure during & before the war. He was a commanding officer of a force reconnaissance unit during the war and had (by all accounts) gotten shot only because he was trying to save the lives of the freedom fighters under his command. And he was well decorated with the highest possible military award being granted to him. He and I became fast friends and being only a wing shooter up until that point in my life, I was greatly inspired by his tales of big game hunting (immediately aspiring to commence this exciting new hobby myself). He would frequently make casually condescending remarks about my mother’s Pakistani heritage, but I took it all in good humor.

After the war, the Major chose to remain in the army for another 2 decades while I decided (for a combination of reasons) to pursue a career in forestry (working for various forest departments across the nation up until 1993, depending upon where the Ministry of Forests would have me stationed). Aside from immensely being in love with forest life (including but not limited to hunting), I had another reason to pursue a career as a forest ranger instead of choosing to remain behind in the army. I was well aware of the fact that we were living in a newly born nation and that political instability was rampant. I anticipated that violent military coupes would soon become a regular occurrence in the near future (I was not wrong in this regard), and that during military coupes… army officers often suffer the worst.

The Major and I remained very friendly towards each other through out the entirety of the 1970s, although he always had a hair trigger temper and could get extremely aggressive if someone disagreed with him regarding matters that were as trivial as the best bullet that could be used on big game. On one particular incident in 1974, I had just returned from a big game hunting safari to Kenya and was sharing my experiences with other hunters at the Dacca Rifle Club. When I remarked how poorly I thought of Winchester Silver Tip bullets (much preferring Remington Core Lokt to them), the Major completely went feral with rage and gave me a sound rant in front of everybody else present. Even though I personally found his behavior to be quite vulgar (especially considering that I had hunted in Africa & he never did), I immediately apologized to him since he was both my senior in age and rank.

In 1981, I was posted for my first term as DFO (Divisional Forest Officer) of the Sundarban mangrove forests while the Major became a supervisor at the Bengal Ordinance Factories branch in Khulna. Friction between us increased because I would not grant hunting permits for more than 2 Axis stags per season in each of the region’s four forest ranges. I was merely carrying out orders from the CCF (Chief Conservator Of Forests) and was doing my job, but the Major took it very personally that I did not grant him an unlimited number of hunting permits. He also didn’t think too kindly of me enacting a zero tolerance policy towards anybody killing Royal Bengal tigers (again, I was merely carrying out my orders).

When the Man Eater of Mohesshoripur began his depredations upon local residents in 1981, the Major developed an openly antagonistic relationship with me because I was completely unwilling to let anybody hunt down the Man Eater until the Ministry of Forests issued a ”Kill-Order” for the problem animal in question (even though I personally wanted the Man Eater to be killed as well, I was still determined to carry out my orders from my superiors). This they eventually did, and I successfully shot the creature shortly afterwards (though more through sheer luck than out of any skill on my part). The Major had filed a complaint to the CCF about my “Ineptness“. And he would file similar complaints against me when the Man Eater of Talpatti and the the Man Eater of Chand Pai were at large (which would eventually be killed by forest guard Pachabdi Gazi and myself in 1987 & 1988 respectively). By 1988, we could both hardly be called friends anymore although we were still cordial with each other.

Our relationship took a very dark turn in 1989 during the hunt for the Man Eater of Atharobeki. When the Ministry of Forests had issued the “Kill Order” for the tiger, the Major and Brigadier General Mahmudul Hassan (along with their sepoys) had gone off into the Sundarbans for six weeks in order to hunt down the problem animal. I had loaned them a forest department launch, as well as some of my most dedicated forest guards for their assistance. What occurred next was downright disastrous. When they went to the Sundarbans to hunt down the Man Eater of Atharobeki, they massacred 5 Royal Bengal tigers… none of whom were the man eater in question- 1 male tiger, 3 tigresses (1 of whom was pregnant) & 1 sub-grown cub. The news eventually got leaked to the media (because of the Major's "Boasts") and the ignorant anti hunting masses publicly rioted outside the Ministry of Forests until CCF Noor Uz Zaman publicly declared never to issue another ”Kill-Order” ever again after the Man Eater of Atharobeki would be dispatched. My second administrative term overseeing the Sundarban mangrove forests had already come to an end by then, but even I was appalled at what had occurred. I was even more consumed with rage because I had learnt that the Major was physically abusing all of my staff and treating them like dogs during his six weeks stay in Atharobeki (including hurling a boot at one of their faces). A very public and aggressive argument broke out between the two of us. Long story short, the Major was prohibited from setting foot inside the Sundarbans for many years to come (until a new government came to power) and was forced to resign from his position in the Ordinance Factories. I ended up shooting the Man Eater of Atharobeki, using the already existing “Kill-Order”. And as of this time of writing in 2024, that was the final Royal Bengal tiger to be legally killed in the Sundarban mangrove forests.

In the following years, I became CCF myself in 1993 and held onto the post until 2000. After that I pursued a career in politics for a decade and held two terms as an MP (Member of Parliament). The Major began a very public smear campaign against me but considering my reasonable amount of success over the years… I don’t think it worked very well. I was able to peacefully retire from politics and adjust well to civilian life.

As we both grew old, the Major and I both buried the hatchet although we were still far from friends. Up until his dying day, one of his favorite stories to tell about me was that I made one of my forest guards kill those 3 man eating Royal Bengal tigers and I simply posed with their carcasses for the photographs. Nevertheless, I am genuinely sad to hear of his tragic passing.

Now, I will address a controversy that many of our fellow forum members have had about the Major. He always claimed (both on these forums and to all those who knew him in real life) that he was a professional hunter/ professional Shikari in India during the 1960s (prior to the Indo-Pak war in 1971 and India banning hunting by passing the so-called “Wildlife Protection Act” in 1972). I can’t say for certain what the truth really was, since I first met him in 1972 after the hunting ban was enacted in India. I know that he uploaded a few photographs on these forums which were later discredited as being taken from books authored by other hunters. While he was alive, I never said anything out of respect/decency. But even I recognized that practically all of his his “Tiger Hunting Photographs” were really taken from a 1954 book called “The Tigers Of Trengganu“ by Colonel Arthur Locke.

But I also did hunt with him several times throughout the 1970s, so I can personally attest that he was a very good wing shooter as well as being extremely competent at driven hunts for Sambar deer and Bengal bush boar. He also did once make a very impressive shot on a clouded leopard which charged him upon accidentally getting flushed out during a beat for Muntjac deer. His knowledge on firearms and ammunition that were carried into 1960s India by visiting client hunters was also immensely accurate. So what was the truth ? I suppose we’ll never know. What we do know for a fact is that the Major authored around 50 articles on these forums and most made for highly entertaining reads (regardless of whether or not they were true).

Three things are clear about the Major. The first is that something tragic definitely did occur in his life in India between 1970 and 1972. The second is that the Major retained an inherent hatred towards Indians and followers of the Hindu faith all throughout his life. The third is his hatred towards all Pakistani people. And this is quite evident in his writings.

While I can sympathize with his tragedies and it is true that the majority of the Indian Hindu population (post 1972) think inherently negatively about hunting/firearms ownership/meat eating, I never really did see eye to eye with him about his indiscriminate hatred towards an entire race of people. There are so many talented Indians and Hindus in the world (both today and in the past), who make for exceptionally skilled hunters and shooters. An individual must always be assessed on his/her own merit rather than be judged simply for their faith or country of birth. And it is true that we fought against the Pakistani army during the war in 1971, but those days are long gone and the people of a nation shouldn’t be scrutinized for a governmental decision of their leaders 53 years ago.

The war left a very deep impact on Major Poton Khan and he was never quite able to come out of that dark place in his life. He never did move on, even decades after the war ended. And the entire ordeal left him very bitter in later life (which can sometimes be sensed from his writings). Perhaps, that was why he loved to tell his stories on these forums. He wanted to feel important again.

Perhaps, this is all too easy for me to say. I came back from the war to my very loving parents and was later blessed with two very beautiful children (and later grandchildren). All of whom have greatly continued to be my rocks throughout the the years. As well as my friends and staff. By contrast, the Major lived a very lonely life. I understand that he had a family in India who got estranged from him during/ after the war. The story goes that he frequently boasted about some of his more darker deeds during the war to his family members and his wife & in-laws were genuinely disturbed by these boasts.

I had invited him more than a few times to accompany me on Safari to Africa more than a few times during the 1970s and early 1980s. But he never accepted my offer, always insisting that Africa would be far inferior to the hunting opportunities available in pre 1972 India. I genuinely wish that he would have taken me up on my offer. He might have felt better.

Even though the Major and I had our differences, I still believe that (at heart) he was a good man. He and I both essentially wanted the same thing- To see that hunting remains perfectly legal and sustainable for the long term. His article "How I Personally Believe That The Future Of Hunting Can Be Saved" is still one of my personal favorites and allowed me to see how much he genuinely cares about the future of hunting.

I will miss him greatly and I genuinely wish that we could have remained friends.

View attachment 579271
The Major (Left) & I (Right) On A Hunt For Bar Headed Geese in Kukri Island In 1979. Just A Decade Later, Our Friendship Would Take A Disastrous Turn
Fantastic post!!

YOU are an incredible person to think the way that you do

Ontario Hunter, you're incredibly perceptive. He was a liberal Muslim much like myself (the kind who exclusively follow the teachings of the Quran itself, but regard the teachings of later Islamic books to be completely invalid).

But he harbored an immense hatred towards all Hindus because he indiscriminately believed that all of them were anti-Muslim, anti-meat consumption, anti-firearms ownership & anti-hunting. He harbored an immense hatred towards all Pakistani people because we fought against them during the war (where his face got disfigured). I had a difference of opinion towards him because explained above... I do not inherently think of all Hindus as anti-Muslim, anti-meat consumption, anti-firearms ownership & anti-hunting.

And I bear absolutely zero grudge against Pakistani people ever since the war ended. Yes, their soldiers committed numerous atrocities against the Bengali civilian population. But then, so did we against the Pakistani civilians who were residing in Jenevah Camp at the time (albeit out of retaliation, but this is absolutely zero excuse for killing non-combatants during a war). I never personally did because I never compromise on my principles, but I'm not going to lie. I saw it happen plenty amongst my fellow soldiers and on more than a few occasions... I was forced to look the other way (an act of omission which I'm deeply ashamed of to this day). That's the inconvenient truth about war. It's bloody ugly and a disgrace to humanity (although sometimes necessary). There are no good guys. The winner just gets the privilege to get titled as the hero after it's all over.

You're 100% correct that I regret not trying hard enough mend the fences with the Major. But by God, I really did try a few times. In 1996, I telephoned him to invite him to my son's wedding but he cut the line as soon as he heard my voice. In 2008, during the Annual War Veteran's Commemorative Dinner... I invited him to share a table with me and my family. He refused. In 2022, my grandchildren were hosting a wild game barbecue party at the Dacca Rifle Club for all the members. My granddaughter sent him an invitation card which he promptly sent back through his chauffeur. What else could I have done ?

Yes, I suppose things could have been different if I had acted differently in the events prior to the incident in 1989. I could have allowed him to hunt an unlimited number of Axis deer in the Sundarbans (as opposed to only 2 adult stags every season as per government policy). But the other things which he wanted from me, were just not possible for me to grant him. I could not allow him to poach Royal Bengal tigers in the Sundarbans. The Ministry of Forests was scrutinizing the activities of every single DFO who was being stationed to oversee that territory. It would have resulted in career suicide for me.

And I definitely could not tolerate anybody physically assaulting my staff. He forcibly dunked the face of a Hindu forest guard into a pile of cow dung, as punishment for "Incompetence". And hurled a boot at the head of another elderly forest guard whom @PerH knows.

I'm completely opposed to mistreating one's subordinates. We lead by making our subordinates get the inspired by us. By making them respect us. Not by abusing them, wantonly.

But despite all this, the Major was not an evil man. At least, I don't believe so. He was immensely troubled and needed our help.
Thank you for providing readers with personal insight into the scars of Partition that linger on to this day. The Major certainly had serious issues. I agree, leaders should lead by example first and foremost. But that seldom seems to be the case in the military or government service. I was lucky to last three years in the US Army. Then made a career in the US Park Service, but it was day-to-day combat of a different sort. Synchophant incompetents run rampant in that agency. Such a high profile resource managed by idiots whose only skills are polishing apples. A good person can only be stabbed in the back and have to start over so many times before it leaves him bitter and reclusive. Gunshy.

I am curious, did the Major have a family? What was his social background?

As to your relationship deteriorating, clearly he never could accept that a subordinate could become his superior. I see this in many retired military NCOs and officers who enter the civilian workforce. They are invariably shitty parents as well. Military service has installed a superiority complex which, though it may serve a purpose in combat situations, seldom bears fruit for management in the civilian world. Quite the opposite.

HH,

I pastor once told me that when we deal with people in our lives and have good and bad experiences, we must eat the chicken and spit out the bones, remembering the good and not being bitter about the bad.

You did right by Major Habib.

Thank you for providing readers with personal insight into the scars of Partition that linger on to this day. The Major certainly had serious issues. I agree, leaders should lead by example first and foremost. But that seldom seems to be the case in the military or government service. I was lucky to last three years in the US Army. Then made a career in the US Park Service, but it was day-to-day combat of a different sort. Synchophant incompetents run rampant in that agency. Such a high profile resource managed by idiots whose only skills are polishing apples. A good person can only be stabbed in the back and have to start over so many times before it leaves him bitter and reclusive. Gunshy.

I am curious, did the Major have a family? What was his social background?

As to your relationship deteriorating, clearly he never could accept that a subordinate could become his superior. I see this in many retired military NCOs and officers who enter the civilian workforce. They are invariably shitty parents as well. Military service has installed a superiority complex which, though it may serve a purpose in combat situations, seldom bears fruit for management in the civilian world. Quite the opposite.
Ontario Hunter, I've absolutely zero idea about his life in India prior to 1972. All I know is that he had an ex-wife who he was extremely bitter against. As well as a son who he could never see again. That much, he himself told me. But he never went into the other details.

But many military officers have said the following about him: That he started to publicly boast about things like killing and torturing Pakistani people during the war to his family members upon returning from the war (which is certainly not implausible, because he regularly used to make such boasts to us as well). And it rubbed off on his wife, his father-in-law & his mother-in-law in a very wrong way.

You see, in a war .... We must do many ugly things. You're a fellow service man, so you will understand. But when the war is over, we must leave that ugly part of ourselves in the battlefield and return home (both in body & spirit). Civilians will never understand what the nature of war really is, but it is not for them to understand either. Because they weren't there. We don't boast about things like killing/executing/torturing people (even when all of it is not only perfectly justified but also completely necessary). We do those things during an ugly time and then we never talk about it. We keep quiet about it.

Do you know ? It's been 53 years since the war is over and to this date... I've never once gone into the darker details of my wartime service with another single person in my life. I've never once talked about taking human life. Not with my parents, not with my children and certainly not my grandchildren. Not even with fellow war veterans. I left it all in the battlefield. I'm very happy about that decision of mine.

But we must not judge the Major too harshly. I returned from the war with a few bruises, here & there. To a very supportive pair of parents and friends. I had it easy. But he did get disfigured and (regardless of the reason) estranged from his family. And I suppose that the entire ordeal deeply scarred him (and not just physically).

It's very strange. The Major and I both had another thing in common. We're both divorced (although unlike him, I was absolutely forced to divorce my ex wife because long story short she was regularly beating up our children whenever I was away & I simply couldn't trust her around them at all anymore). So if anything, I could have related even more to him. But instead, he once even tried to use my divorce as a way to try to defame me when I was campaigning as a political candidate.

He was so talented and charismatic, but he was also so vengeful and vindictive. Even on these forums, he frequently made passing remarks about his "Deeds during the war". He never did learn to let go. The war is long over and many more violent conflicts have occurred all over the globe ever since then. People like us are a couple of elderly has-beens who's wartime glory days are long past us (although I certainly don't consider there to be anything glorious about war).

But there's absolutely nothing wrong about that. Rather than stay glued to the past, the healthy thing to do is to focus on improving our future and living pleasantly. Of course, we will reminisce about our past (I frequently do look back upon my younger days with nostalgia). But only about the good things which left a positive impact on us.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FrogFan

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?