Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
I hope someone here finds this useful. You're welcome.
IMG-20210602-WA0005.jpeg

Well crap, I was just melting the butter.....

Never met a shrimp or lobster I didn't like. Gumbo (Cajun style) is my favorite winter gut warmer.

You should try your hand at chicken and sausage gumbo. I love seafood gumbo, but it costs me about 50-60 USD for the ingredients. Steaks are less expensive than that, at least here.

If they were anywhere near tasty, I'd walk out in the back yard and have enough for a fifty five gallon drum of cicada gumbo. Some just now pics from my back yard. The noise is deafening.
IMG_20210603_115828068_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210603_115846861_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210603_115856575_HDR.jpg

After being outside and then sitting down checking out AH forums, I felt something a little scratchy on the back of my neck. Yep, one of them hitchhiked. Another time I heard the mating call and sure enough there was one on the hat I was wearing. Fortunately, they're just an annoyance.

After being outside and then sitting down checking out AH forums, I felt something a little scratchy on the back of my neck. Yep, one of them hitchhiked. Another time I heard the mating call and sure enough there was one on the hat I was wearing. Fortunately, they're just an annoyance.
Do you guys have locusts every year, or only every few years?

Down here, we have them every single year. They're never as thick as what you're showing in those pics, but we do have them every year.

These are what's called Brood X. Last appearance of them was in 2004. Next time will be in 2038. They mate, lay eggs, go underground, feed on tree root sap and will emerge seventeen years from now.. They're the longest living insect. Pic is of the holes from which they emerged and some morphing from the larvae to adult.
IMG_20210603_134149932_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210603_134227572_HDR.jpg

These are what's called Brood X. Last appearance of them was in 2004. Next time will be in 2038. They mate, lay eggs, go underground, feed on tree root sap and will emerge seventeen years from now.. They're the longest living insect. Pic is of the holes from which they emerged and some morphing from the larvae to adult.
View attachment 405376

View attachment 405377
Well, as I said, we get them every year. We have 16 or 17 years worth of eggs/larvae/pupae in the ground at all times. 17 different annual broods, if you take my meaning.

So what's best stage to eat them at...larvae or adult?
you'd have to dig any of the pre-adult stages out of the ground. adult is probably all we can really eat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeulahLomb

Latest profile posts

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?