Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI; DSC
Hunted
Most of US, Canada, South America, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Uganda, Cameroon, Mozambique, Spain, Serbia, Slovenia, Macedonia
I am headed to Uganda next week, and I have uncharacteristically started packing early. It gave me the idea to share some advice I received about 10 years ago from a real safari veteran – ask what they need, not what you need. Particularly if you are coming from the U.S.

My normal gear now includes couple of new machete, a couple of Shrader-style skinning knives, some hand held sharpeners, some extra headlamp flashlights, AA and AAA batteries, a couple of extra tee shirts in small and medium sizes in green or gray, a couple of baseball hats, big bottles of Ibuprofen, and Acetaminophen, a new Z-pack, and other over-the-counter comfort health and safety products. And I never forget a 5-10lb bag of the individually packaged candies in case you see some school kids along the road (amazing how many kids are in Africa).

I also reach out to the PH (if the outfitter and the PH are different – I make sure I get the WhatsApp # for the actual PH) and see what he or she needs (if anything). Trail cameras, an SD card, a card reader, some binoculars, a sling swivel, we can easily get all these things in the United States. There are 4 Cabela’s/Bass Pro shops, and 2 Sportsmen Warehouses within 1.5 hours of my house in Denver. There are none in Zimbabwe. I don’t know how many gun shops/gunsmiths there are around here, but it’s a lot. A trigger spring, a cross bolt, a firing pin, you name the part, and if I can’t buy it within an hour, Amazon or Ebay will have it to me within a day or 2. A Bog Pod Deathgrip can be an emotional experience for someone who spends a lot of time setting up over bait.

Once you are outside of RSA or Namibia, I have always found that they have everything that you need, but simple items that just make things easier can be in short supply. And it only takes a minute to ask. That's my "for what its worth" free advice - now I headed out to pick up a couple of trail cameras.

Good hint. A little generosity goes a long way.

Agreed. I always try and take things that the PH says they could use. This year I took some Havalon blades and few other odds and ends that I think were well received by the PH and his staff.

Find out what they like to read. You might just have that old paper back there that they might enjoy. Fishing magazines most are keen.

I always ask the PH if he needs anything from the US as well, but I always ask first. There is a lot they don’t want and don’t need that we might think is generous, but it just becomes an inconvenience to them. If they want a new knife or trail cameras, I let them tell me the brand and style they want and bring them over. For the trackers and camp staff I always bring a lot of give away or nice second hand items. They are always happy with anything extra they get.

I do the same. One year the request was from the outfitter's wife, Hershey's chocolate powder. Five containers went with me. Probably the strangest one was crow decoys. I painted them to look like white breasted ones and took a Foxpro electronic caller. I used them one evening to kill eleven of those sheep killing varmints. Mini Leathermans went over big with the tracker/skinners.

I've never taken anything to give except American dollars.

I did give my PH my Leupold flashlight, just because he liked it, on my last trip.

I mailed several things back to my PH, "gunbearer" (who was actually a PH in training), and camp staff after finding out what they actually needed, after I got home.

Knowing what they needed prior to the safari would certainly save postage!

I always bring surplus shirts and jackets for the trackers.
The US fleece jackets seem to be the most liked item of anything I bring.

I leave stuff behind, but I don’t pack extra. I pack as light as possible. If the airlines let us put ammo in with the gun I could go to Africa for two weeks with a gun case and backpack

Strangest request I have received to bring over, was 8 pistons for a chevy racing car, PH sent me the information along with the price $630.00, put them in my carry-on. The TSA lady was like what the hell are those when my bag went through X-ray, I said pistons for a car motor, she remarked, ok have a nice day.

I leave behind clothes and boots, used but in good shape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loxseb

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?