Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI, SSAA
Hunted
Australia, NZ, Fiji, Namibia
My wife's godfather lives in Ohio, and has been asking us to bring the kids and visit them. its been one of those things we are "going to do" but never got around to

Im thinking next year or 2020, however, if we are going, I want to have a chance to hunt while I'm over there.

As an Aussie, its often hard to work out the seasons, tags, species available per state etc

Is anyone on here from Ohio who can tell me what I can hunt, as a non local, and what time of year?

I lived in Ohio as a teenager. A lot of big deer in the Buckeye state. Weird hunting laws, so be sure to read and understand them.

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/hunting...trapping-regulations/deer-hunting-regulations

Straight-walled cartridge rifles in the following calibers: New this year! All straight-walled cartridge calibers from a minimum of .357 to a maximum of .50. Shotguns and straight-walled cartridge rifles can be loaded with no more than three shells in the chamber and magazine combined.

I live in ohio and the hunting regs are very complicated to be sure go to the ohio DNR web site and read them. Gun deer season for instance open the Monday after thanksgiving which is foolish as it is past the rut and on a Monday so people have to take off of work. the 3 shells in gun thing is another BS rule and be careful with that one the magazine has to be plugged etc so no way the total shells including one in the chamber cant exceed 3 or you get a fine!
My suggestion is that hopefully you are good to go with archery or cross bow as the season there is liberal like oct 1st to jan.
Yes there are some very big deer mostly on the eastern side of the state and there is some public hunting land in the east and south east.
If you want a chance at a big buck hunt archery oct 31st to nov15th that's prime rut and the big boys are moving and stupid then.
So there ya go if you need anything more let me know and we can trade info as I want to go to Australia and vacation/hunt.

@Buckdog Does Ohio still make hunters pin their license on their back? I always thought this made people look like a whitetail.

@Buckdog Does Ohio still make hunters pin their license on their back? I always thought this made people look like a whitetail.
No, back tags were required in several states many decades ago my friend. don't know if there are any states that still require backtags?
didn't have to wear hunter orange long ago and could shoot ducks with lead shot back in the day too!:A Big Hello: now I have aged myself that's not fair!

Our Aussie inquirer might also be interested in Turkey. I'm sure that there are some available there. Do you have hogs? Not sure if he is into wingshooting, but I'm sure there is some duck and goose hunting available too. Just thinking out loud....
Bruce

The best way to get to Ohio is through Texas. Stop spend a day or two. Visit the Alamo and do some hunting in Texas.

You are coming a long way to visit some very special people. However, give yourself some more time to visit more of North America than just Ohio. Planning is one of the greatest joys of traveling.(y)

Following up on what Buckdog said, if you hunt during the deer gun season, you can use a shotgun with a slug, a rifle or handgun using a straight walled or straight tapered cartridge or a muzzle loader.
There is a good deer population with some real trophies to be had. Archery is the way to go in the Buckeye state... Long season and hunt the rut.
There is also good turkey hunting. There is a month long spring season that just ended Sunday. There is also a fall season in October.
As Buckdog said check out the Ohio DNR website: ohiodnr.gov

turkey might be the go... ive heard a lot about turkey on steve rinellas pod casts

there is so much available to hunt in the US and Canada, i just dont know where to start. I really like whitetail and mule deer, Elk is priced out of my budget, would love black bear and wolf

in the end, i think it is probably wise for me to line up an outfitter, and plan the trip around that, rather than try to tack a DIY hunt onto a family trip, for the first hunt in the US.

Maybe if we all fly over together, visit the family, do the tourist thing, and maybe hunt squirrels and coyotes, then they fly back, and i go for a few days hunting with an outfitter, before flying back myself

No hogs or wingshooting in Ohio. BUT! Groundhog hunting is good if you like long distance shooting? And there is a groundhog guide in Ohio, but book him now if your interested.

Northwest- I've lived and hunted in OH most my life. There is some great hunting and fishing here. Most anytime of the year. Maybe it's because I grew up here but I don't think the regulations are that complex. There is some great public hunting for big game but wing shooting is best done on someones lease or a hunt club. PM me and I'll help you out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OJZMarquis

Latest profile posts

TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]
Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa