Hunting in fog

MS 9x56

AH legend
Joined
Apr 10, 2020
Messages
3,222
Reaction score
7,648
Location
Central NY
Media
5
Question for safari hunters. Do you hunt in fog or wait until it burns off? I personally love to still hunt in foggy weather. I can't explain why but animals seem to be calmer and stay added longer. I have had great success hunting bedding areas in the fog or a light rain. Many times even if you bump an animal it will stand and look instead of bolting giving time for a shot.
 
Depends on the animal and the environment. If still hunting deer in a woodlot then yes. If spot and stalk hunting in open terrain and particularly the mountains, fog will ruin a hunt.
 
I've noticed the same thing myself, especially eastern Whitetails. If the corn is still standing and you have a calm foggy morning, that's the best time to put the sneak on them. ;)

The only time I can really think of being forced to wait out the fog is if your only option is to locate animals through a spotting scope at some distance before you can begin your stalk.
 
Question for safari hunters. Do you hunt in fog or wait until it burns off? I personally love to still hunt in foggy weather. I can't explain why but animals seem to be calmer and stay added longer. I have had great success hunting bedding areas in the fog or a light rain. Many times even if you bump an animal it will stand and look instead of bolting giving time for a shot.
@MS 9x56
I walked many a mile in the dog to get to animals while the are still relaxed. Love still hunting in the dog but as I have got older you can stick the rain where the sun don't shine.
Admittedly at times I've had to put a sun roof in the floor of my 4x4 as someone reckoned the sun shone out our of my big bum
Bob
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,302
Messages
1,572,126
Members
169,496
Latest member
SimonPoe43
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top