How far in advance to book a flight to South Africa

Letzhunt

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
How far in advance should one book or have an agency book flights before a safari? I'm about 10 months away and I can book now....should I or is better to wait to see if the costs go down or for any other reason?

I'll say it before someone else does.

Get in touch with Travel Express if this is your first trip. They are the experts in the game of booking flights and dealing with traveling with firearms. Not to mention dealing with problems that might come up.

Quite a few book their own flights but they have been over multiple times or are experienced international fliers. But then there are those who have been to Africa a couple dozen times and they still use a agent to take care of their tickets. The agents are well worth their fees for what they do.

I appreciate that advise. I already planned on using an agent.

Prior to the winter shows.

Gracey Travel is another. Shawn (and Bruce in SA) did a great job for me. Including booking a flight change on a Sunday. Sitting in Atlanta right now awaiting my final leg home.

I typically book in the winter.. Jan/Feb time frame.. for a June/July hunt..

I'll say it before someone else does.

Get in touch with Travel Express if this is your first trip. They are the experts in the game of booking flights and dealing with traveling with firearms. Not to mention dealing with problems that might come up.

Quite a few book their own flights but they have been over multiple times or are experienced international fliers. But then there are those who have been to Africa a couple dozen times and they still use a agent to take care of their tickets. The agents are well worth their fees for what they do.
What do they do exactly? Book a flight and understanding stuff goes wrong is normal.

You can book your own flights and I have four times. And screwed it up three times. Got fixed okay without any problems the first two screwups but this time it cost me +$300 to rebook the last leg home from Toronto. I've always been bad with dates and numbers.

If you're taking your guns, definitely use some professional assistance. Otherwise, I see no need to use anyone but a local travel agent. Or try it yourself. But those online airline booking sites can be challenging! Slow, crash, not working, etc. Get ready to put in a long night.

Usually, the earlier you book, the cheaper rates will be. I've never heard of them getting cheaper, especially during North American summer which is generally southern Africa winter hunting season.

I would start doing numerous searches for your dates. Prices vary wildly for reasons unknown. Polaris class flights on United varied from $4500 to $11000 for the same travel dates. When you find a deal you’re comfortable with reserve it or, as I do , call Jennifer and let her take it from there. Slight modifications to your travel dates can save A lot of money. Good luck

I usually book about 6 months ahead. The comment about before DSC and SCI shows is a very good comment. They will be very busy for about 2 months following shows. You’ll get a lot better service before or a few months after from the travel agents depending on your hunt dates.

What do they do exactly? Book a flight and understanding stuff goes wrong is normal.

They will be on top of any flight changes that you might not find out about unless you have access to your emails and the time to deal with the airline if you do get notified of a problem.

My first trip over and back there was such a problem. On my return flight the airline changed the departure time of my connecting flight here in the US. Jennifer spotted it and took care of it for me, if I would of been doing it myself I would of sat in Dulles Airport for at least another day waiting to get a flight out. The flight that I was suppose to be on was taking off just as I got out of customs.

As for what the cost was, Travel Express did their job booking my flights and it cost less than what I could of done it myself plus they steered me away from a unfriendly firearm airline for my flight to JFK and home.

My second trip over towards the end of the pandemic, my flights were being rebooked constantly. Half a dozen times at least. At one point Air Canada had me leaving for Joberg out of Zurich the day BEFORE my flight from Toronto arrived in Zurich. Huh? Keep an eye on those emails from airlines!

My second trip over towards the end of the pandemic, my flights were being rebooked constantly. Half a dozen times at least. At one point Air Canada had me leaving for Joberg out of Zurich the day BEFORE my flight from Toronto arrived in Zurich. Huh? Keep an eye on those emails from airlines!
Toronto Airport is a mess. Enough said there.

I would book now, prices are going up. Until competition comes back airfares are going to be high.

I'd book as soon as a reputable travel agent will let you, someone like Gracy or Travel Express. I used Gracy once and they were good. Their fee is 300 bucks and I think it's cheap piece of mind.

I would highly recommend Trip Insurance!!!

How far in advance should one book or have an agency book flights before a safari? I'm about 10 months away and I can book now....should I or is better to wait to see if the costs go down or for any other reason?
Here is an example. My son and I have a 2024 July hunt. Delta will only let someone book through May 2024 at this time…I just checked. I have found 6-10 months works well.

October is statistically the cheapest time to book flights for the following summer. Call Jenn at Travel Express.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anuskaxett

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]