Badboymelvin

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hey guys,

I've read enough horror stories on the Hornady DGX un-bonded projectiles to know that they weren't the best choice for DG... but how do they perform on big deer/ elk?

The rifle l'm referring to is a 425 Express shooting a .423" 400gn @2300fps

When I was working up loads for my 425 and I was looking for projectiles (there was no Woodleigh's at this time), l came across a packet of Hornady DGX on a dusty shelf so l snapped them up!
But in my eagerness buying them l thought they were the bonded ones...

So l loaded up 50 rounds, fired a few through the chronograph and a few more sighting it in before l discovered the Australian made 360gn Atomic 29 all-copper projectiles.
Funnily enough, these 2 totally different projectiles fired to the same POI - so the Atomic's are what l'll be using for hunting now.

BUT! I still have 35 loaded DGX rounds that are sighted in and l need to use up...
It would be a pity to waste them and I'm thinking surely they would work on Sambar deer....?
But I don't know as I've had no experience with them...

So for people who DO know, how would my 425 Express go loaded up with the non-bonded DGX on a 200-300kg deer?

Cheers,

Russ

500 grain non-bonded DGX into wet clay weighed 385-410 grains after recovery. I'd say use them on deer.

It will work well. Just make sure to avoid hitting the scapula/shoulder bone of those heavy Australian Sambar stags.

I would guess they will blow most of the way through a sambar from just about any angle. If American elk are any metric to go by (they weigh between 500-700lbs on the hoof. And we hunt those with cup 'n core 180 grain 30-06s. You'll be good! What happened to your .458 by the way?

My .416 Rigby with the old non-bonded DGX work great from any angle on whitetail. The largest deer I shot with them was a complete passthrough from rear to front with a very little expansion but a dramatically dropped deer. The Bonded DGX act like a solid on a deer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
francisgriffin2

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia