Hornady DGX 400 experiences?

I posted this comment recently in another thread about the DGX Bonded. I have used it quite a bit in the field on big game (scrub bulls) in the 300 grain 375 calibre. Great performance and a great bullet IMO. Good expansion and the petals are quite jaggered and sharp so leaves a big wound channel, great penetration, the bullet holds together well. I would not hesitate to use the DGX bonded in any calibre on any game. The only reason I haven't used them more often is because I am in Australia and have had good access to Woodleighs at very reasonable prices. From what I have seen in the field I would say the DGX bonded is a tougher bullet than a Woodleigh.

@Kevin Peacocke
To summarize all above in three steps:
1. You have no choice
2. On second post, you have some good assurance
3. Conclusion: Go for it!

Last edited:
@Kevin Peacocke
To summarize all above in three steps:
1. You have no choice
2. On second post, you some good assurance
3. Conclusion: Go for it!
I also know that @One Day... has successfully hunted buffalo with the DGX bonded, from memory in 470 and was very happy with the performance.

Thank you all responders. I have managed to procure 150 DGX bonded, was wondering whether to keep them for practice or hunting - seems the latter, and the former since they are all you can get.
now the next quest is brass cases, none in SA, apparently some coming into SA in January though.

I hope more hunters use these new DGX and see how they perform. Please let us know how you like them.

All I can get in 0.410 is Hornady DGX 41044. These are the new bonded bullets, has anyone got experience with these in the field?
I took my Buffalo and 4 PG with that exact bullet with perfect expansion and performance this past July

midway has .375 H&H 300 gr DGX bonded in stock, if anyone is looking

kevin roberstson posted a video on vimeo i think where he tested the 375 DGX BONDED, it is an informative video.

@Kevin Peacocke ,
i have used the 300 gr DGX BONDED bullets in my 375 ruger, i like em. if i did not have any north fork .410 softs for my 450-400 then i would be happy to use the bonded hornady's in stead of them. swift A frames are a top choice as well. in todays world of difficult to acquire bullets and powder, sometimes one has to use what you have available.

will attach a photo of a 300gr 375 bullet pulled out of a 9' brown bear on far side under the hide. wt retention was 88/90%

IMG_3986.jpg

I also know that @One Day... has successfully hunted buffalo with the DGX bonded, from memory in 470 and was very happy with the performance.

Yes indeed :)

DSC01289.JPG

.470 NE 500 gr DGX Bonded fresh out of the one-shot Buffalo it killed...

While DGX even Bonded may not be the bullet of choice for hyper-velocity rounds - after all, it IS a classic 1920 Kynoch architecture in order to duplicate vintage bullet behavior in double rifles regulated at the time - it has proven very reliable at classic DG velocities. While I would likely not chose a DGX Bonded for a .416 Weatherby at maximum speed, I think that it would be a very logical choice for a .404 or a .450/400 double, especially if originally regulated with Kynoch ammo.

I used that bullet in my .450-400 3" NE to take a bull Cape buffalo and a Canadian bull Elk. It worked as expected on the buffalo, good penetration and expansion was adequate. Bullet was probably too tough for the elk. It punched through the lungs broadside and left a large hole all the way through, but the good shot still required a fairly long tracking job. Results were posted on this forum for both. It is a very accurate bullet in my Merkel double rifle.

I posted this picture in the bullet performance database today. Perfect performance for me on a moose last week. More than a meter of penetration, broke big bones, made big holes, didn't destroy a lot of meat. I like the 400 gr. DGX bonded loaded in my .450-400 3" Nitro!
IMG_6684.jpeg
IMG_6680.jpeg

All I can get in 0.410 is Hornady DGX 41044. These are the new bonded bullets, has anyone got experience with these in the field?
A close Argentinian friend in 2019 used the new 400Gr Hornady DGX Bonded in a Chapuis Armes .450/400 Nitro Express boxlock ejector to take a Cape buffalo and a leopard. They were Hornady DGX factory loads. He said that the bullet itself was well constructed. But the velocity was a little bit on the lower side for Cape buffalo (but it was fine for the leopard).

Of course, since you'll be hand loading your own ammo, you won't be bothered by the velocity problem.

A close Argentinian friend in 2019 used the new 400Gr Hornady DGX Bonded in a Chapuis Armes .450/400 Nitro Express boxlock ejector to take a Cape buffalo and a leopard. They were Hornady DGX factory loads. He said that the bullet itself was well constructed. But the velocity was a little bit on the lower side for Cape buffalo (but it was fine for the leopard).

Of course, since you'll be hand loading your own ammo, you won't be bothered by the velocity problem.
The thing that gets me about factory ammo for the .450/400 (only Hornady?) and for that matter, the 9.3x62, is that neither are factory loaded to meet the energy requirements for DG in Namibia or Zimbabwe. Maybe elsewhere?

I do grant that the historical success of each cartridge at these lower velocities is inarguable.

I also understand that the argument so often used that no one in Africa is verifying ballistics but only going off of legal caliber is the norm.

I’ll probably get an ear full for this but isn’t part of being an ethical hunter obeying ALL the laws of whatever country you’re hunting in?

The thing that gets me about factory ammo for the .450/400 (only Hornady?) and for that matter, the 9.3x62, is that neither are factory loaded to meet the energy requirements for DG in Namibia or Zimbabwe. Maybe elsewhere?
Yes, it falls short by 178 ft/pounds for Zimbabwe. However, for what length rifle barrel was the factory round tested in? What elevation? That is not known. Normal Heym's have 26" barrels. I think others are around 24" or so.

I don't have a 450/400 so can't put a chrono on it.

Yes, it falls short by 178 ft/pounds for Zimbabwe. However, for what length rifle barrel was the factory round tested in? What elevation? That is not known. Normal Heym's have 26" barrels. I think others are around 24" or so.

I don't have a 450/400 so can't put a chrono on it.
Valid point. Just looked at Hornady load data and it is out of a 24” barrel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverLard

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]