Holster Suggestions

JesseGDeluca

Reaction score
I need some recommendations on brand/style of holsters.

I have a Glock 19 Gen5 9mm and a Kimber R7 Mako. I plan to carry the Kimber R7 Mako in the woods for sure and keep the 9mm for conceal/ease.

What do you recommend? Thanks for the ideas.

My preferred holster brand is Bianchi- I really liked the shoulder holster that had the loop for each shoulder and the two elastic bands across the back- I forget what the model number is. I sold it when I no longer carried as part of the job.

As far as a concealable OWB holster I really like my Tenicor holster for my Glock 19. Expensive, yes but high quality and comfortable. Not sure what style of holster you are looking for though.

Holsters are personal. They have to fit the handgun, provide concealment in most cases today, and fit your body for an all day carry. Most of us have more than a few holsters that just don't or did not work for us. Different situations may also necessitate use of different holsters.

I like leather for comfort. Kydex holsters are less expensive and are functional but cold against the skin and most have uncomfortable sharp or pointy edges. They are however very handy to slip on and off. I use them for small frame automatics.

For everyday carry (EDC) I now use Palmetto Leather holsters. They are very comfortable even with a 1911 Commander.
Andrews Leather, of which I have a few, makes fine holsters. Sam Andrews made all the leather for the movie The Magnificent Seven staring Denzel Washington.
I also have an old Bianchi 110 that just plane works good.
I have a Galco OWB that carrys great for a "walk in the woods".
Milt Sparks' Summer Service Special, or something like that, also carrys good.

Everyone is different in their build, walk, draw, lifestyle, and so on.
Best of luck finding what works best for you!

For high quality leather, a Kramer Horsehide is among the most durable and most practical and comfortable holsters I’ve ever used…

I carried a pistol concealed every day, all day, for as many as 18 hours a day, for several years for a living at one point in my life… Kramer was my solution… (recommended to me by a couple of secret service guys on the potus detail back then)…

For woods carry I prefer a chest rig in kydex.. easy to access, stays out of the way of other gear, super comfortable, and can be adjusted easily to fit over anything from just a t/shirt to several layers of clothes… I wore mine on a Kodak hunt in freezing rain.. wear mine on south texas hog hunts, etc… and it’s never failed me.. for chest carry kydex I prefer 2a Holsters… Tom (owner) is a great guy and makes a great product…

Ted Blocker Holsters in Oregon has provided all my leather holsters and belts for several years. Their materials and workmanship are top tier and their designs are safe, effective, and comfortable to wear.

For my own Glock 19 I have on hand both IWB and OWB concealment rigs to wear for different conditions of weather and clothing style.

My preferred holster brand is Bianchi- I really liked the shoulder holster that had the loop for each shoulder and the two elastic bands across the back- I forget what the model number is. I sold it when I no longer carried as part of the job.

^^^^^^ (y)

I very much agree with @Mark A Ouellette and @mdwest and will spare you repeating what they said.

My wife and I carry full size pistols daily (not on the job) and have found the Galco Avenger (OWB) comfortable for both of us. Service life is around 5-7 years depending on how much you wear it. A good piece of kit for not too much money. For outdoor use, we have custom made kydex holsters for weather resistance that can be worn in several configurations. I believe we paid about $100 for the kydex about 10-15 years ago. Not nearly as comfortable as the leather, but can be worn on the chest or strapped to a backpack if needed.

Chances are you will go through 2-3 different holsters before you find what works for you. Don't be discouraged. Take each lesson and apply it to the next one you buy. It's a process and you will get there.

Lastly, I would add that the belt you use is just as important as the holster. They work as a system and need to fit together properly. We each have Galco SB5 leather belts that are 1 3/4" thick, matching the openings on the Avenger holster. This is important so that the holster doesn't ride up the belt as you try to pull the pistol out. For the kydex we have Wilderness Tactical 1 3/4" belts with the stiffener. No one likes a limp belt. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anton12345