Hippo rifle case

Hombre

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Botswana, SA, Canada, NZ, Mexico
I bought a hippo rifle case last September in South Africa. I planned on shipping it back with trophies later in 2021 or early 2022. My son and I are going back next month for another hunt and I wanted to bring the case back with me in my luggage. I have been told by the taxidermy shop it is now illegal to bring back hippo products to the U.S. Does anyone know when the change happened as they had no problem taking my money in full last September?

There is no change I know of. You can still bring back hippo hunting trophies. It likely means they have no paperwork to go along with it to bring it into the United States. There is a display in Atlanta airport full of wildlife products people thought they could bring into USA without issue/paperwork that were legally purchased in Africa.

Hombre, welcome to the AH forum! Sorry, but I cannot answer your question, but I wouldn’t think you would need a permit for a store bought product unless it was a CITES regulated animal.
Best of luck and I’ll be tracking this to see if something has changed for hippo.

Hombre, welcome to the AH forum! Sorry, but I cannot answer your question, but I wouldn’t think you would need a permit for a store bought product unless it was a CITES regulated animal.
Best of luck and I’ll be tracking this to see if something has changed for hippo.
Hippo is cites II

Giday Hombre. Welcome to the A H forums. I know the problem of getting cites certificates can be time consuming but if needed thay can be obtained. I have some cites (11) giraffe bones on the way after quite a delay to get the certificate, so hope your store bought Hippo case is able to get a cites certifiacte as well if necessary.

Hombre, was this a hippo that you hunted and then had made into a rifle case? Or just an item that was purchased from the taxidermist?

BR,

Tom

Declaring it first on your customs form 4457 should prevent any hassles (documented that you owned it, took it out of the US and now can bring it back, same as your camera, guns, phone, laptop, etc.)

As a follow up to my past post. I originally bought the hippo case at the tannery. I left it to be packed with trophies coming later. We decided to go back in May so I was going to bring the hippo case back in my luggage. That's when the company informed me it was a Cities animal and they didn't have a permit for exporting. Ended up trading for a full quill ostrich rifle case. Alls well that ends well but that was one sweet hippo hide case!!

if it was a purchased finished product I doubt there are any issues. Put your rifle in it and everyone will assume you took it with you.

A side question.
What happens if a such product is brought to the country, due to not knowing it is banned?
What are the consequences to the traveler?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jolandon24

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]