Hidden Shipping Costs

Dog Large

Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa, Michigan's UP, Southeastern US
Just came of my first plains safari with the Kreik family and the Mattanu Private Game Reserve. Had a wonderful time and bagged four critters. Now I have to get them back to the US.

Splitting Image Taxidermy is their preferred taxidermist and I'm in the middle of obtaining a quote. Here's what I know:

Taxidermy for four critters $4,250
Packing, documenting, creating $ 600
Travel by ship to US $1,000
From US to my house (est.) 750???

The last figure is a guess. I've been told someone needs to be th receiving agent and there's good old freight. I've heard it will come either to New Orleans or New York to my home near Atlanta. Can anyone share their insights as to cost, hidden fees and the like I'd like the mounts, but the world won't end if I don't get them either. I just want to know realistically what I'm in store for.

Get a good importer, we have Trophy Shippers on the form here. I personally use Safari Speciality Importers.

From what I have read dock fees and storage will kill you with your trophies coming by boat.

I've had no hidden fees using my importer from the African taxidermist to my home. But others have had thousands of dollars in storage fees

After reaching US I’d estimate $1500+. $750 for broker alone and $750 for final shipping. However, most of us are unfamiliar with ocean freight so I don’t know what kind of port and clearing fees you’ll actually see with that shipping method compared to airline. Unfortunately since 2020 it seems to be anyone’s guess. For trophy shipment brokers in New York there is coppersmiths, genus, and I think that’s what SSI is based as well. New Orleans I don’t know. If you will be going back possibly consider combining shipments at a later date. The clearing is essentially a fixed cost regardless of the number of trophies you have.

Just curious, do they do clearance in Savannah!
When researching my shipments there always seemed to de some hidden costs associated with sea freight. I’ve used Coppersmiths in Atlanta and drive up there to pick them up. I had one come in on Delta before their big 5 ban and 2 on Turkish airlines.

Just curious, do they do clearance in Savannah!
When researching my shipments there always seemed to de some hidden costs associated with sea freight. I’ve used Coppersmiths in Atlanta and drive up there to pick them up. I had one come in on Delta before their big 5 ban and 2 on Turkish airlines.
Everything I'm hearing is Savannah cannot receive this, it has to go to NYC, Houston, or New Orleans. Coppersmith has an Atlanta office so I'm going to call them (based upon the recommendations I've received) and see what they suggest.

With some of what I'm hearing about storage fees and other horror stories, it might actually be cheaper (and much more cost effective), and a helluva lot faster to go this route.

I’ve dealt with the people in the Atlanta office and they have been great.

Just came of my first plains safari with the Kreik family and the Mattanu Private Game Reserve. Had a wonderful time and bagged four critters. Now I have to get them back to the US.

Splitting Image Taxidermy is their preferred taxidermist and I'm in the middle of obtaining a quote. Here's what I know:

Taxidermy for four critters $4,250
Packing, documenting, creating $ 600
Travel by ship to US $1,000
From US to my house (est.) 750???

The last figure is a guess. I've been told someone needs to be th receiving agent and there's good old freight. I've heard it will come either to New Orleans or New York to my home near Atlanta. Can anyone share their insights as to cost, hidden fees and the like I'd like the mounts, but the world won't end if I don't get them either. I just want to know realistically what I'm in store for.
I’ll share some of what I’ve learned and my perspective, hopefully it’s helpful. The first is the taxidermy, this is a topic of discussion which is hard to gain alignment on for many reasons. Everyone has their opinion and expectations of quality and who to use and why. In my opinion the value to having your mounts done in Africa is a cost savings and faster delivery. Well when we start talking faster and cheaper in the the US red flags go up and we automatically assume the quality is sacrificed. I will say it can be, there are good and not so good taxidermists everywhere, in Africa and the US. Quality is in the eye of the beholder and your expectations. I will say in my experience most outfitters in Africa work with or have preferred taxidermists they use for convenience and generally they are satisfied with the quality of those taxidermists. Most outfitters do not want their clients having issues with their taxidermy, that’s bad for their business. With that said there are several good taxidermists in Africa and you do not have to use the one which is your outfitters go to, that’s your choice. Do your research and make your decision accordingly. FYI Splitting Image from what I’ve heard is a good taxidermist although I have not personally used them.
A question though what are your 4 mounts? If they are shoulder mounts and you’re paying $4250 how does that compare to a local taxidermist in your area in the US, are you gaining value and are they meeting your expectations?
I ask this because as an example my trip 2 years ago I harvested 16 animals, I had 14 shoulder or pedestal mounts, 1 full body diker a zebra rug several buckskins, and a custom gun case made from my Cape buffalo hide and my cost was $7800. Last years hunt and currently shipping to me I had 4 shoulder mounts, a full body Steenbuck a European skull, back skins and loose kudu horns cleaned and polished and I paid $1800 for taxidermy. Yes, before you ask all are very good quality and I was happy with my previous delivery which is all on my walls so I used the same taxidermist again.

Shipping, your taxidermist no matter who you use should get you a couple quotes and options with sea and air freight options. In the past I’ve used EMIAC and Zingela, I’m using Zingela again who recently quoted me $1580 to create and air freight to Dallas the above mentioned items from last years hunt. You can kind of use this as a reference.

Import agents in my opinion are a must. Get one that has its own bonded storage facility. Coppersmith and Genus logistics are both good. I’ve used both with a hassle free experience. Costs will vary depending on animals, permits etc but the import agent should be able to provide you a ballpark estimate. You can also coordinate the shipping once released from the import agent to your residence or you can pick up from them. I would estimate you would be $750-$1000 on import but they can get you an estimate. Shipping to you will vary as an example my large crate of 16 animals plus extras flew into NY and shipped from Coppersmith to my residence in Arkansas for $500, that was July of 2023.

Generally their are no hidden costs or fees as long as you stay in communication with everyone through the process and use reputable service providers.

Sorry this response and post was so long, trying to help out, we were all first timers at one point and had the same questions and concerns.

I had around $1000 in extra port fees that I wasn’t expecting the one time I did ocean freight. It would have been cheaper to do air freight. That was during Covid backups (2021?) n couldn’t get flights.

I’ll share some of what I’ve learned and my perspective, hopefully it’s helpful. The first is the taxidermy, this is a topic of discussion which is hard to gain alignment on for many reasons. Everyone has their opinion and expectations of quality and who to use and why. In my opinion the value to having your mounts done in Africa is a cost savings and faster delivery. Well when we start talking faster and cheaper in the the US red flags go up and we automatically assume the quality is sacrificed. I will say it can be, there are good and not so good taxidermists everywhere, in Africa and the US. Quality is in the eye of the beholder and your expectations. I will say in my experience most outfitters in Africa work with or have preferred taxidermists they use for convenience and generally they are satisfied with the quality of those taxidermists. Most outfitters do not want their clients having issues with their taxidermy, that’s bad for their business. With that said there are several good taxidermists in Africa and you do not have to use the one which is your outfitters go to, that’s your choice. Do your research and make your decision accordingly. FYI Splitting Image from what I’ve heard is a good taxidermist although I have not personally used them.
A question though what are your 4 mounts? If they are shoulder mounts and you’re paying $4250 how does that compare to a local taxidermist in your area in the US, are you gaining value and are they meeting your expectations?
I ask this because as an example my trip 2 years ago I harvested 16 animals, I had 14 shoulder or pedestal mounts, 1 full body diker a zebra rug several buckskins, and a custom gun case made from my Cape buffalo hide and my cost was $7800. Last years hunt and currently shipping to me I had 4 shoulder mounts, a full body Steenbuck a European skull, back skins and loose kudu horns cleaned and polished and I paid $1800 for taxidermy. Yes, before you ask all are very good quality and I was happy with my previous delivery which is all on my walls so I used the same taxidermist again.

Shipping, your taxidermist no matter who you use should get you a couple quotes and options with sea and air freight options. In the past I’ve used EMIAC and Zingela, I’m using Zingela again who recently quoted me $1580 to create and air freight to Dallas the above mentioned items from last years hunt. You can kind of use this as a reference.

Import agents in my opinion are a must. Get one that has its own bonded storage facility. Coppersmith and Genus logistics are both good. I’ve used both with a hassle free experience. Costs will vary depending on animals, permits etc but the import agent should be able to provide you a ballpark estimate. You can also coordinate the shipping once released from the import agent to your residence or you can pick up from them. I would estimate you would be $750-$1000 on import but they can get you an estimate. Shipping to you will vary as an example my large crate of 16 animals plus extras flew into NY and shipped from Coppersmith to my residence in Arkansas for $500, that was July of 2023.

Generally their are no hidden costs or fees as long as you stay in communication with everyone through the process and use reputable service providers.

Sorry this response and post was so long, trying to help out, we were all first timers at one point and had the same questions and concerns.
Thanks for the reply. I got a Tsessebe, Kudu, Gemsbok and Blue Wildebeest. Was thinking shoulder mounts but now, I'm leaning towards a wall pedestal mount on the Kudu and the Gemsbok. That has been factored into the price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CherieBatt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia