Hibiscus Sabdariffa, Locally Known In Namibia As "Mutete"

JoosR

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Articles
We all know Namibia has wonderful plant species like Aloe Vera, Moringa, and Hoodia, but as you drive through Namibia you will find many wonderful treasures.

As you progress to the north of Namibia you can have a look in the local markets of Rundu and other towns in the Kavango region for this very cute and small but flavourful flower called Mutete (Roselle).

Locally they use this flower to make a wonderful refreshing tea. Local people are currently cooking this into a popular jam and juice. But this little flower is way more than just a flavour, it has medicinal powers too.

They use this flower for:
  • High blood pressure. Drinking Hibiscus sabdariffa tea or taking Hibiscus sabdariffa extract by mouth seems to lower blood pressure by a small amount in people with normal or high blood pressure
  • The fruit acids in Hibiscus sabdariffa work like a laxative
  • Local people use Hibiscus sabdariffa for high cholesterol too
  • reduce swelling (diuretic), and work like antibiotics (demulcent)
  • Ethnobotany sources show that the leaves are used for their antimicrobial, emollient, antipyretic, antihelminthic, and sedative properties
Fun Fact: Most importantly this flower and its leaves are boiled to prevent severe symptoms of malaria!

Roselle.jpg

I haven't even completed my first "once in a lifetime" trip to Africa yet, but am already plotting my next. Very likely a family trip to Namibia. If you know of any good field guides to plants / insects, please let me know. I love to study this kind of thing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MariEisenh

Latest profile posts

Ready for the next hunt
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg