Hi there, new member in US

harleycaptain

Reaction score
Hello all,

I found the forum via an internet search for hunting opportunities for combat wounded Soldiers. I have always wanted to hunt but did not start until after being wounded. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for first time Africa hunt. Should I go with one of those 4 or 5 animal packages? Is there a country or region that is better now? Hunting with a bow is what I would like, but is a gun more practical? Is there a better time of the year to hunt Africa?

I have watched several hunts with Africa's Big 5 and am pretty sure that I am not ready for that, yet.

The hunt would be for myself and 1 or 2 other servicemen, I do not know what would qualify as a group rate.

Thank you for time and advise,

Thank You for your Service harleycaptain and Welcome to AH! as far as for a first time hunt I lean towards South Africa a Bow or a Rifle is up to you if using a bow though I would plan a few extra days on the trip just in case. There are many fine outfits here on AH that cater to rifle or bow and most will cut you a better rate for small groups. Good Luck in your planning and if you have any questions feel free to ask the members here will do there best to answer them for you. and as for me April thru July is the best time it's their winter, temps in the 50's to 80' I also lean towards packages because I know what I'm going for and what its going to cost if you have a little deeper pockets leaving yourself open can get you some really fine shots on game but your not going to know the total cost until the end of the Safari.

Bobpuckett,

Thank you for the reply and your information was awesome. I didn't even think of the summer but that sounds like the best time. The packages do look the best due not so deep pockets. In your opinion, how many days extra are needed for a bow hunt?

Thanks,

Welcome to AH

Many on here will help you out.

Hi harleycaptain there are two things you can do with that when setting up your contract with the outfitter let him know that you will be hunting with a bow and depending on how many days you can spare you can borrow a rifle from the the outfitter at little or no cost without have to go through the BS of carrying one with you as for how many days to add is up to you as there is never too many once you get there you never want to leave, and the amount of days will depend on what animals you choose for your package the gemsbok for one does not have to come in for water as often as some of the other animals. other things you need to keep in mind when planning this is other cost i.e. dip and pac or taxidermy cost of shipping back home and tips, you may want to gather some old but good BDU's for the trackers as gifts they love that stuff but don't give the gifts as tips two different things. some of the outfitters that I recomend that you check out are Huntershill Safaris, Spiral Horn Safaris and Koedoeberg Safaris and there are many many others and all will be willing to help you out. Bob

Welcome Harley.
There are a lot of good Bow Hunting Outfits.
They love Bow Hunting and will do a great job for you.
Another one to add to Bobs list is Leeukop Safaris in KZN ( A hunt sponsor of AH)

Welcome to AH! Boy, the guys have given you excellent advice already!

I would like to add, spend as much time as you can in Africa, negotiate it in somehow, because the rest of your life you will be reflecting on the sites and sounds of Africa. I would spend no less than 10 days in Africa. And if you go as a small group you should get great rates.

Ask any questions, you might need help with.

Welcome to AH Harley. The guys above have given some excellent advice. I would like to throw in some advice too and a couple links to some previous post that I made as well.

First, whoever you pick for your outfitter, I personally think it is best to go with someone who "specializes" in archery hunts, not just a outfitter who normally does rifle hunts but has a few blinds set up for archery hunters. I am not intimately familiar with some of the outfitters mentioned above, but several are sponsors of AH and I would at least research them at a minimum before you make a decision. In July of 2010 I went on a archery safari with Dries Visser Safaris who specializes in archery hunts. I don't think they are a sponsor here, but I would highly recommend them.

Here are some links to some previous posts I made that may be helpful. As always, feel free to ask questions, everyone on here is very helpful.

Link to ndbwhnter's July 2010 Safari report
Link to dip/pack/ship costing
nd

Welcome to the forum, harleycaptain !

I see you have been given some excellent information by the old timers here, and you will certainly receive good offers from the outfitters on the forum.

Welcome to AH harleycaptain!

Thank you, there is a great deal of wonderful information. I now just need to plan and prepare a budget. Also, I waiting for some quotes from shipping and taxidermy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lula005117

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well