Help with antique rifle, possibly a Mauser?

EZRider

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hi everyone,

I have inherited an old rifle and it is almost time for me to renew the firearm license. It is a rifle I don't use at all and so was considering selling it. But as it has been in my family for a very long time, it was brought to South Africa from Germany before the Second World War, I do have a nostalgic attachment to it and have been thinking of a restoration project instead.

The only markings on the gun are the letters Y3J stamped on the side, presumably for licensing purposes when the gun was brought into SA, and the logo KRUPP STEEL on the bottom of the barrel. There is no caliber marking, make or anything else, although it does have a lot of engraving on the action and barrel. The rifle is a 7X57 and shoots 7X57 ammunition relatively accurately, less than 2MOA with PMP factory loads.

The stock has been split and repaired, a recoil pad added and an aftermarket Timney trigger has replaced the original 2 trigger set. The action has also been drilled (badly) to accept a scope mount.

I have been thinking of restocking, filling the drilled holes in the action and rebluing the gun all of which will cost more than buying a new CZ 550
gun1.jpg

Any thoughts on the gun? What is it? Is it worth restoring?

gun2.jpg
gun3.jpg
gun4.jpg
gun5.jpg

i would scope it and use it as is for light to medium plains game, loaded right the 7x57 is a fine rifle and the 98 action will take it. the rifle is a rebuilt 98 mauser.

i would scope it and use it as is for light to medium plains game, loaded right the 7x57 is a fine rifle and the 98 action will take it. the rifle is a rebuilt 98 mauser.
Thanks. I will probably just put a Boyds stock on then. The current stock is optimised for irons shooting and doesn’t fit me well with a scope.

It is very nice! The magazine release is similar to that used on the Enfield style Mausers.

I am personally not sure what is meant by an Enfield style Mauser.

In any case, that style magazine release is production standard for the ‘98 Mauser military action from introduction in the late 19th century through WWII. This rifle is what is referred to as a “Guild” gun. It was quite common for individual German gunmakers to build rifles patterned on the commercial Oberndorf models. These rifles (or combination guns and shotguns) are rarely signed, and can be of extraordinary quality. Many others, like this one, were built as basic sporting rifles.

I would gently restore this wonderful rifle rather than try to rebuild it. A good stock man can redo that repair, make it stronger than it was, and invisible. At the same time, I would have him put a traditional solid red pad on it. It would have had a steel or horn butt plate, but the stock has been cut for the current pad.

Depending upon any engraving on the front of the action, a good metal smith can fill those holes and you could use it with open sights. However, a more practical solution would be to replace those bases with a more elegant solution like Talley.

The rifle should have a traditional rust blue finish. I am sure you have a number of South African gunsmiths who could do that.

When it left Suhl, this was a better quality basic rifle as you can tell by the ribbed barrel And highlight engraving. It deserves, if at all possible, to be restored to something close to its original condition - all of which will be cheaper than a rebuild.

However, to be fair, either option will leave you a rifle in which you have more of a monetary investment, than the rifle is “worth.” The real question is how much is taking such a restored part of your heritage afield worth to you.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I have inherited an old rifle and it is almost time for me to renew the firearm license. It is a rifle I don't use at all and so was considering selling it. But as it has been in my family for a very long time, it was brought to South Africa from Germany before the Second World War, I do have a nostalgic attachment to it and have been thinking of a restoration project instead.

The only markings on the gun are the letters Y3J stamped on the side, presumably for licensing purposes when the gun was brought into SA, and the logo KRUPP STEEL on the bottom of the barrel. There is no caliber marking, make or anything else, although it does have a lot of engraving on the action and barrel. The rifle is a 7X57 and shoots 7X57 ammunition relatively accurately, less than 2MOA with PMP factory loads.

The stock has been split and repaired, a recoil pad added and an aftermarket Timney trigger has replaced the original 2 trigger set. The action has also been drilled (badly) to accept a scope mount.

I have been thinking of restocking, filling the drilled holes in the action and rebluing the gun all of which will cost more than buying a new CZ 550View attachment 398970.

Any thoughts on the gun? What is it? Is it worth restoring?

View attachment 398972View attachment 398973View attachment 398975View attachment 398977
Hi @EZRider.
Beautiful Rifle. If you are in the Western Cape region, contact John Brussel (Brussel gunstocks) I am sure he can help you with all the repairs. He is well known for his work.
You can contact him on 083 749 3566

I am personally not sure what is meant by an Enfield style Mauser.

In any case, that style magazine release is production standard for the ‘98 Mauser military action from introduction in the late 19th century through WWII. This rifle is what is referred to as a “Guild” gun. It was quite common for individual German gunmakers to build rifles patterned on the commercial Oberndorf models. These rifles (or combination guns and shotguns) are rarely signed, and can be of extraordinary quality. Many others, like this one, were built as basic sporting rifles.

I would gently restore this wonderful rifle rather than try to rebuild it. A good stock man can redo that repair, make it stronger than it was, and invisible. At the same time, I would have him put a traditional solid red pad on it. It would have had a steel or horn butt plate, but the stock has been cut for the current pad.

Depending upon any engraving on the front of the action, a good metal smith can fill those holes and you could use it with open sights. However, a more practical solution would be to replace those bases with a more elegant solution like Talley.

The rifle should have a traditional rust blue finish. I am sure you have a number of South African gunsmiths who could do that.

When it left Suhl, this was a better quality basic rifle as you can tell by the ribbed barrel And highlight engraving. It deserves, if at all possible, to be restored to something close to its original condition - all of which will be cheaper than a rebuild.

However, to be fair, either option will leave you a rifle in which you have more of a monetary investment, than the rifle is “worth.” The real question is how much is taking such a restored part of your heritage afield worth to you.

Thanks Red Leg.
This is what I was looking for and has inspired me to do the restoration. I will have the rifle rust blued and a more elegant scope mount fitted.
I am not too worried about spending more than the rifle is worth as this would be an exercise in passion.
I would very much like to hunt with the rifle and so will probably fit a straighter comb stock and store the original for posterity.
I will revisit this with pictures when it is done although that might take quite some time!

which will cost more than buying a new CZ 550
CZ 550 is phased out of production.
What they offer now is CZ 557, in 308 or 30-06. Push feed. thats it.

Hi @EZRider.
Beautiful Rifle. If you are in the Western Cape region, contact John Brussel (Brussel gunstocks) I am sure he can help you with all the repairs. He is well known for his work.
You can contact him on 083 749 3566

Thanks Jorg, I am from Limpopo but I will phone John Brussel and speak to him. We have couriers that will transport the rifle for me.

CZ 550 is phased out of production.
What they offer now is CZ 557, in 308 or 30-06. Push feed. thats it.
Unfortunately!
But in South Africa Formalito (the local importer) and quite a few gunshops still have stock. Hence my desire to purchase another one or two before they dry up for good.
I own CZ 550 rifles in .308 and .375 H&H and plan on one day leaving them to my son.

Unfortunately!
But in South Africa Formalito (the local importer) and quite a few gunshops still have stock. Hence my desire to purchase another one or two before they dry up for good.
I own CZ 550 rifles in .308 and .375 H&H and plan on one day leaving them to my son.

Beat me to it :E Big Grin:

@Red Leg Covered your rifle very well.

You can always buy a cz but can't replace a family rifle that you have been entrusted with. Restore the fine old mauser and take it to the bush.

Thanks. I will probably just put a Boyds stock on then. The current stock is optimised for irons shooting and doesn’t fit me well with a scope.
If you decide to add a scope, make sure the safety clears the eyepiece. Personally, I'd take off the bases, fill the screw holes with flush fitting screws and use it with irons only. Nice clean lines on that rifle. Good luck with the rebuild.

If you decide to add a scope, make sure the safety clears the eyepiece. Personally, I'd take off the bases, fill the screw holes with flush fitting screws and use it with irons only. Nice clean lines on that rifle. Good luck with the rebuild.
I like that idea. The stock was created for those open sights. And with something like a 175 gr heavy for caliber bullet, for which that rifle was certainly designed, it would be a lovely light thing for the brush country of the Limpopo.

I wish I could but my old eyes prefer glass!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blaubeerchen44

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg