AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
KZN Hunting Shooting & Conservation
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Sweden
As a UK-based hunter, I have become increasingly frustrated by the lack of ranges that will let me shoot my 375. My regular ranges top out at 338 (or 30 at one) and most places only allow you to shoot off of a table.

A month or two ago I met a gent who has access to a lovely little valley and woodland in the Midlands that has been cleared for all calibers and has the necessary insurance. I broached the idea of hosting a simulated dangerous game day where people like me could practice with our rifles in as realistic conditions and scenarios as possible. The idea was well-received and now I am turning to the AH collective to get ideas for a multi-stage shooting day.

My aim is to provide a safe and secure day out where people can practice and stress-test every aspect of their dangerous game equipment e.g. clothing, footwear, optics, rifle, ammo, etc) as well as work on technique and get comfortable shooting from a variety of positions.

My plan is to set up several stations 'situations' requiring the fully kitted-out hunter to be guided from one to the next not quite knowing what to expect.

It could be set out as follows:

Zero checks at a preferred distance (50, 100, etc) as a group followed by the individually guided walk.

1. Impala - 120m off sticks. Nice and easy to get started. African-style cane tripod sticks tied with rubber - not the fancy four-legged UK ones.
  2. Buffalo - Walk into the thicker cover or woodland and then spot a buffalo at 60m. One shot from kneeling with fast follow-up shot standing and reload two rounds.
  3. Elephant - 40m. Two quick shots offhand followed by one reload and one more shot.
  4. Lion - 15m. One shot from standing, the target is released on a wire towards the shooter, chamber a second round, and fire one more shot.
I thought that if agreed the guide could film the shooter at each station on a phone and send them the footage afterward as a way to analyse any flaws in technique etc.

After the first go around the group can then go back around together and each person can have as many shots as they like at each target.

I would limit the numbers to no more than 4 or 5 people so that everyone could have as much time as possible behind their rifles. While the first round is in progress the rest can be swapping hunting stories over some tea and sandwiches etc.

I would appreciate any input or ideas on the stations or any other aspect that would make for an enjoyable trip out. A more thorough recon of the area is in the works so that I can get a better idea of layout and distances etc. If anyone has any resources for life-size targets that I can have printed out I would be most grateful.
I should also mention that this is a not-for-profit activity - I will ask for a fee just to cover the host's costs and targets etc.

Thanks in advance.

I'm in the UK and very interested to see how this progresses. What part of the UK?

FN

Count me in as well if possible and possibly @Lancaster. I think @bowjijohn has some experience of this and would be well worth consulting with. Safari Press do targets for at least most of the species you describe.

Hi
I am Uk base, in Hertfordshire. The BSRC based at Bisley is cleared to shot Dangerous Game calibers.
I would be interested in your Idears

Thanks for the interest so far. The general area is around the West Midlands / Cotswolds border. Any UK members wanting to find out more please PM me and I can get your details for a mailing list.

Sounds fun!
Just a couple thoughts off the top of my head. Maybe the guide/PH should act as somewhat of a range safety officer and someone else should do the video recording. Some people, under even the slightest stress can and do things wrong. Best to have someone paying attention.
How to add stress? A shot timer maybe. Once the decision has been made to shoot or once the animal/target has been spotted. Require a reload.
I hope this shoot comes to pass and we all get to hear about it, good luck.

Add a few compulsory reloads from the belt as well. Very important to learn

Sounds like my DG course

I’ve run such COF in the past

I developed mine from the FGASA SKS DG course which is very similar to the test PHs are obliged to demonstrate competence in

There is also a group of heavy calibre folk that shoot off hand. At running deer and turning targets at Bisley

They meet 3 times a year

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dfhrfjrtyergdf

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles