Hello from Rhode Island

Spey

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
Tiverton Rod & Gun Club (RI); Peace Dale Shooting Preserve (RI); NRA; GOA; USPSA; IDPA
Hunted
USA, South Africa
A little late for an intro but as you can see I have been here for a couple of years. I just got back from my first African hunt in Limpopo two months ago. Shot a Cape Buffalo using a .458 Lott and several plains game animals with a .375 H&H. I am in the early stages of planning for a DG hunt in Zimbabwe probably for 2026. I plan to use my Heym 88B in .470 NE that was made in the 1990's for this next hunt.

Earlier in my career I worked in U.S. Army physical security/law enforcement and was a commercial pilot for a decade. I retired in Feb of 2023 from a financial services company after 24 years where I conducted vendor due diligence, country risk assessments/travel security and in the final eight years was a manager in a global security operations center.

Glad to be here and learning so much,
Rich

P.S.- as. you can see from the photo, been into big bore rifles since 1981

Attachments

• 20191107_164242.jpg
    20191107_164242.jpg
    627.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Great intro, welcome aboard! Sounds like a great first safari. Please do a report, with lots of photos!

Welcome to AH.

Is that a photo when you were operating as a back up on an ele hunt? Something with a little recoil control. Just guessing; a 40mm seemed a little too light of a caliber.:E Rofl:

Welcome to AH.

Is that a photo when you were operating as a back up on an ele hunt? Something with a little recoil control. Just guessing; a 40mm seemed a little too light of a caliber.:E Rofl:
I was thinking after posting it that my .375 H&H probably had more recoil than that recoilless rifle in the pic. Never actually shot one but our armory was having an inspection and we were told to load up a deuce and a half (2 1/2 ton truck) with it and other weapons that were "off the books" and to get lost in the German country-side until the inspection was over. Since I had a deuce and a half license I was the driver. Just a photo op.

Greetings Spey,

Khomas Highland Hunting and Fishing Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Thank You for your service.
Also, was your screen name inspired from The River Spey in Scotland or perhaps from the two handed fly rod of the same name ?

Well anyway, cheers for now,
Velo Dog.

Greetings Spey,

Khomas Highland Hunting and Fishing Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Thank You for your service.
Also, was your screen name inspired from The River Spey in Scotland or perhaps from the two handed fly rod of the same name ?

Well anyway, cheers for now,
Velo Dog.
Thank you Velo Dog! Screen name is indeed from the River Spey and/or the very small Loch Spey. Visited the highlands in 2012 and hope to return someday. Love Scotch and there are many distilleries on the River Spey. Although I am poor at nosing Scotch I usually drink the peaty ones from Islay (8 or 9 on Islay) because I can definitely smell the peat smoke.

Cheers!
Rich

I was thinking after posting it that my .375 H&H probably had more recoil than that recoilless rifle in the pic. Never actually shot one but our armory was having an inspection and we were told to load up a deuce and a half (2 1/2 ton truck) with it and other weapons that were "off the books" and to get lost in the German country-side until the inspection was over. Since I had a deuce and a half license I was the driver. Just a photo op.

I never had a chance to handle one of those recoiless rifles. We were showed a 107 or 109 that was jeep mounted in basic training. A few years later in my career I did have the chance to fire a dragon and a tow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LottieTare

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]