Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life, Handloaders Anonymous
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Zimbabwe
As I search out all the options for bullets for the 404J, I came across 300, 350 and 400gr bullets by Hawk.

These bullets appear to be made along the same theory as the Barnes original...thick, soft copper jackets and pure lead cores.

Anyone have any personal experience with them, especially on game?

I think I'd like to whack a deer with a 300gr Hawk from the 404J!

Tim

I use them in my German .318's (8mm J). They are indeed a traditional SP. Though, I find them to have much more in common with the old Kynoch SPs than anything else.

I haven't used them but id assume they are fine for small and medium game. they appear to be standard cup and core bullets which work as long as deep penetration isn't needed.

-matt

Reviving an OLD thread.

Anybody else have experience with Hawk bullets, specifically in 404J? I'm in no rush, but heaven only knows when there are going to be A Frames available again. I'd think the 0.065" jackets would be stiff enough for cape buffalo. Field reports seem favorable, but I trust folks in AH more than random field reports.

I have not had any Hawk bullet (404J diameter) stay together in my shooting trap. As someone else recommended, small and medium game, yes. I would NOT ever trust them on a buff. Check North Fork SS with Reloading International. Think of them as a Trophy Bonded Bear Claw with a few enhancements.

Remember, they call Cape Buffalo, "Black Death". Do you really want to TRY to kill one??? Better question is would your PH allow it. Their life is on the line too if you wound one.

My bullet trap is a 1/2" dry magazine, 2×4, 5 water jugs, dry catalog of some kind and more water jugs just in case.

I spoke with Swift bullet company rep today at SCI and he said it may be the first of 2024 before they have A-Frames available in 404 Jeffery.

Fair enough. North Forks it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KandiceGri

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]