Got through another book

Firebird

AH legend
Joined
May 16, 2017
Messages
3,856
Reaction score
11,488
Location
Utah
Media
412
Articles
1
Hunting reports
Africa
3
USA/Canada
6
Hunted
South Africa
I really struggled with this book for whatever reasons. The thing that was most interesting to me was the authors perspective on the building of Kariba dam and his experiences involved. Mostly because we are currently seeing a similar project in the selous. The authors realization that human civilization and expansion is ultimately what displaces and eliminates wildlife is profound. His understanding that wildlife would be largely moved to parks and reserves and even those only until humans want those spaces was decades ahead of itself. I didn’t love the book but it is an interesting read with lots of interesting adventures.
C18D51C9-9017-475D-9FB1-A249727A1620.jpeg
 
I struggled with it also, not sure if i ever finished, am currently reading Uhuru by Ruark
 
Months of the Sun was a difficult read by anyones standards, just finished it a while ago myself. There are lots of good reads out there, one of the best I've read lately was Kambaku by Harry Manners. Also, Fred Everetts books are really good.
 
I read it some time ago...makes you think
 
Kambaku was great book
 
@Firebird I hear what you say. For me it was one of the slowest reads I've had in a long time, but I absolutely loved the book. Might be my all time favorite Africa book. It seemed to me like he was talking from deep inside his soul, not just story telling.
 
I thought it was a tough read also. It is one of the few African books I sold and didn’t keep in my personal collection.
 
I bought his other two books. Which are actually both titled Footsteps of an Ivory Hunter. Difference is date of publication and that the early publication is by Ian, and the second publication (which was the first of the two I received in the mail) is edited and autographed by his daughter after his death and she doesn’t like hunting. She did a good job with the edit, didn’t add any woke or anti nonsense, but it reads more like a story. I’m in the middle of the Ian self published book now and so far it’s an easier read than Months of the Sun, but I can tell it’s Ian.
 
Another great read:

Wild Beasts & Their ways-Sir Samuel White Baker

He was a larger than life character.
 
I really struggled with this book for whatever reasons. The thing that was most interesting to me was the authors perspective on the building of Kariba dam and his experiences involved. Mostly because we are currently seeing a similar project in the selous. The authors realization that human civilization and expansion is ultimately what displaces and eliminates wildlife is profound. His understanding that wildlife would be largely moved to parks and reserves and even those only until humans want those spaces was decades ahead of itself. I didn’t love the book but it is an interesting read with lots of interesting adventures. View attachment 503722
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this book. Even though it may be a little slow reading, it sounds like one I'd probably enjoy, especially since I want to know and understand Africa as much as possible.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,363
Messages
1,574,232
Members
169,975
Latest member
DFFSFSF2026
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top