Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Hunted
South Africa, New Zealand, USA, Canada,
I was wondering how durable a giraffe rug would be on the floor. If giraffe hides stand-up to moderate traffic for 20 years, then I will do a rug.

If they will not hold up then I will make a couple chairs with buffalo cushions and bags/gun cases with the left-over hide. I have a new trophy room and am trying to decide what to do with a giraffe hide. I have read the thread on different ideas for giraffe.

What is your experience with the durability of giraffe hide rugs?

I have no experience but I've heard giraffe bone is great for knife scales.

I got t4 leg bones shipped from this trip and I have 2 leg bones from previous trip. I want to make knife and pistol grips with them. Don't know where to get done.

Giraffe bone is indeed wonderful for knife scales.. I have used giraffe bone on a couple of knives I built in the past.. Ive also used camel bone.. It stinks to high hell when grinding and shaping it.. but it makes for a beautiful end product..

I got t4 leg bones shipped from this trip and I have 2 leg bones from previous trip. I want to make knife and pistol grips with them. Don't know where to get done.

I know a few custom knife makers that would likely make you something very nice using your giraffe bone.. they do custom "commission" type knives.. one guy in particular does what I would consider "art" quality work.. he is a little expensive.. not who I'd use if I wanted a knife that I was going to actually use to do hard work with (although his steel work and designs are absolutely incredible and would certainly do anything you ask of a blade.. I get a little twitch when I think about using a $500-$2000 blade to baton through a log or even whittle on wood with..).

Happy to put you in touch with a few guys if youre interested..

Giraffe rug is incredibly tough. Don’t let that concern you

The hide will be tough, but the hair?....

One of the places I hunted needed to cull some giraffe and I was thinking the hide might make a nice bedspread. My PH said probably not. Skin is too thick. He said at one point giraffe were nearly eliminated in South Africa due to demand for their hides ... for making bullwhips. Hmmm. I always thought the Boers were horsemen, not oxcart teamsters. He said the demand for bullwhips was mostly for ... ah ... completing "labor intensive works projects." :O

Giraffe rugs are great. The fur is coarse. The hide is very thick initially and gets cut down to a pliable thickness. I have a daybed with a giraffe hide on it. It is nice to look at, but not ideal to sit on in with bare skin.
I have a giraffe rug in my gun closet, it gets walked on and is not showing wear.

Giraffe hair is of the most coarse I've ever experienced. I got my arms totally cut up by it when we installed my shoulder mount on the wall and I let the giraffe slide down to the bolt through my arms.
I have an ottoman that is beautiful and it seems to have softened through the years. It is not for bare skin however so no funny business on the ottoman!
A rug will be fine depending on traffic. I look at all skins are eventually disposable. So my advice is to do what makes you happy and don't fret so much about the longevity Of the item.

IMG_1579.JPG
IMG_1577.JPG

Live in Nashville, TN and put my rug on the screened in porch. Sprayed with Scotch Gard to handle any rain or snow mist that blows through the screen, but had no issues with wear or hair loss.

Not to highjack the thread but I took a nice dark giraffe this past August and am doing a rug for my grandson’s room. Question I have is as of now I’m not doing felt backing mainly because of cost, or should I bite the bullet and do the felt backing? I’m also doing a rifle case, polished leg bones and a couple of ash trays from the feet.

Not to highjack the thread but I took a nice dark giraffe this past August and am doing a rug for my grandson’s room. Question I have is as of now I’m not doing felt backing mainly because of cost, or should I bite the bullet and do the felt backing? I’m also doing a rifle case, polished leg bones and a couple of ash trays from the feet.

Not to acknowledge your hijacking, but I was advised, and I believe truthfully, that you should use the felt backing to keep edges from curling over time. This can create trip hazard if not. I also believe it adds a nice contrast regardless of what surface the rug is on.Just my 2 cents.

I was wondering how durable a giraffe rug would be on the floor. If giraffe hides stand-up to moderate traffic for 20 years, then I will do a rug.

If they will not hold up then I will make a couple chairs with buffalo cushions and bags/gun cases with the left-over hide. I have a new trophy room and am trying to decide what to do with a giraffe hide. I have read the thread on different ideas for giraffe.

What is your experience with the durability of giraffe hide rugs?
I'm wondering as well so thanks for the post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DewayneWcz

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

LIMPOPO NORTH SAFARIS wrote on RStien321's profile.
Dear RStien321

I noticed your thread this morning.

We would be thrilled to assit you as mentioned in my comment on your thread.

We as Limpopo North Safaris has numerous areas in limpopo that vary between 10 000 to 24 000 acres that we hunt that has all of the animals on your wish list furthermore we have great deal on cull buffalo cows and bulls.

Please let me know if you might be intrested.

Regards
Sampie
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia