Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Australia/NZ
Hey guys
I finally booked a hunt with Peter Chamberlain of Kiwi Wilderness Safaris. I will be hunting Tahr, Chamois, and Arapawa ram. I am planning European mounts for these if lucky enough to harvest. Peter indicated he can boil, bleach, and get the paperwork so that I can take home as luggage. This would save a lot of money and hassle. Question is, has anyone from Canada brought trophies home with them and what was the procedure at customs? Will be flying into Vancouver. Any info would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Peter took care of me a few yrs ago. You will have a great trip. No clue on Canadian customs, but I had no troubles bringing mine back into the USA. Best of luck. Bruce

I have flown back with a finished trophy. Hyena Rug.
I declared it as a rug. (Fully tanned and finished)
There was no further inspection required.

For your purposes this is likely what is required.

3. Entry Without Certification or Disinfection (All Countries Except the U.S., CFIA Inspection Required)
The following items may be released subsequent to visual inspection. They must be free from all feces, blood, dirt, and ectoparasites to qualify for exemption from further restrictions. Items that are found to be soiled, as above, are to be refused entry and either destroyed or returned to the country of origin. Alternatively, they may be directed to an approved premises for disinfection (refer to Item 7):

• fully tanned hides and skins, including wet blue hides (or in the blue hides);
  • professionally prepared taxidermy mounted animals, birds, trophies, and museum specimens in display form;Footnote 1
  • professionally prepared horns and hooves in display form;
  • bongo drums with skins included, and processed hard-dried skins ready for use as drums, and similar uses; and
  • wool, feathers, and down that have been washed and are scrupulously clean on inspection.
Local Office:
Vancouver/Richmond
4831 Miller road, Floor 2, Room 201
Richmond, British Columbia
V7B 1K7
Telephone: 604-666-7042
Facsimile: 604-666-6027

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals...ducts/2001-01/eng/1359039786504/1359039919425

Thanks for the quick replies. From what I gather CFIA will have to inspect on arrival? Any idea if there is an agent in Vancouver 24 hrs or do I need to plan flights for office hours?

New Zealand is not on the list of countries where trophies require secondary treatment. CFIA should never have to look at it. Ensure you have all your paperwork including Vet Certificate and you should be able to clear through regular CBSA agent. I've done it several times but I would print all the pages from the CFIA website that indicate you are permitted to do this because the CBSA agent likely won't have a clue about it. They don't deal with it on a regular basis.

Thanks Sheephunter
The vet certificate comes from NZ before I leave there? I agree I will be printing off as much info as I can find stating they should not need to be inspected.

Yes the vet certificate comes from New Zealand before you depart. Don't forget the temporary export permit for your firearms too. They will likely be more concerned with those upon your return.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timot6429

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!