Getting a rifle from Phoenix to Windhoek

rolycat2

New member
Joined
Jul 17, 2010
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi,
I'm a first time "poster"
I'm taking my son to Africa this coming June 22 as part of a family adventure trip.
Trip includes: Climbing Kilimanjaro- followed by safari followed by hunting
My son and I fly Nairobi to Windhoek for 7days of hunting plains game while the rest of the family heads home. He would love to take his 7mm along but with multiple flights and stopovers in London, its seems almost an impossible task or at least cost prohibitive.
Is there anyway to ship a rifle Phoenix- Windhoek- Phoenix thru bonded carrier?
If not, we have already reserved a rifle with the outfitter.
He also plan to take his hunting bow which shouldn't be a problem, I hope

Thanks
Harry
 
i have no experience of this, but as you wouldnt be accompanying the rifle it would have to go as freight, and i think that would open up a serious amount of paper work that wouldnt justify even trying to go this route. i would enjoy the whole trip and rent a rifle for the hunt.
 
Hi Harry,

I know someone here will be able to help you with your query. I'm not experienced with international rifle courier, sorry I can't help.

Is it your first time to Kilimajaro? I climbed in 2001. Main thing is not to underestimate the advice of the guides. We were 5 in our group only 3 made it to summit(Uhuru Peak). Myself, my dad, my uncle. The other 2 who never made it tried to rush up there, smoked cigs while they walked, never rested properly, never drank enough water, tried to be macho and it worked right up until summit day, after an hour on summit trail they were completely drained, one got sick, they turned back. So, when the guide says "relax", just listen, drink your water, take it easy and take in the scenery its beautiful and you hit a different biome every day, really something special. First day is a shock to the system, last few hundred meters is harder than anything you can imagine, no air no energy, you start counting footsteps instead of meters, mental game... Nothing beats the feeling of summiting, at the time it may even seem like an anti-climax. But its the greatest thing I have ever accomplished, standing on top of Africa for 5 minutes...

If u haven't done it before then I assure you this is one of the best holiday investments you will ever make! If u have done it before then you know what I'm talking about.

Enjoy!
 
You won't get any air carrier to take your rifle through London. My friend tried it 2 months ago and couldn't make it work. No carrier is willing to try it with the fines imposed by GB if ALL the correct paper work is not done perfectly.
I've done 5 safaris and have never heard of a courier service. I don't thin guns can be released to anyone but the owner. Use the search function here on Jamy Traut Safaris for my recent hunt report in Namibia.
Sounds like a great trip. Just use the PHs rifles a save yourself a lot of headaches.
BTW, I live in Page/Lk Powell
 
Welcome to AH rolycat2.

The restrictions are onerous to say the least.

In RSA we used a licensed (Firearms Storage and Transport) to store and transport our firearms during the touring portion of the trip.
He provided the cheapest safest alternative.
I can only suggest that you speak with him and he might have suggestions of who could pull it off for you.

Stefano Piller
BLU Logistics
Johannesburg - South Africa
Mobile: +27 82 337 7986
Email: stefano@suloko.co.za
Telefax No : +27 0866168447
Blu Logistics

As you already suspect, I'll bet renting a rifle will be the easiest and certainly the cheapest solution for you.

Good luck on your hunt.

I look forward to your hunting report and pictures.
 
Thanks Spike, Clifty and Stephano for the excellent advice...I think I'll stick with the renting the rifle from the outfitter.
Thanks Rohan for the good climbing advice...I'll leave the ego at home :)
I'll post hunting pics when we get back (if Ben is ok with it, He's the hunter I'm just facilitator of good memories :))
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,299
Messages
1,571,123
Members
169,115
Latest member
perstivjoper1981
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
 
Top