For sale Prewar (1913) Westley Richards Best Quality Droplock Double Rifle 7x65r – Maharaja of Alwar

vette447

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI, DSC
Hunted
USA (AK,CO,NM,WY,TX,KS,OK), Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Argentina, France
Up for sale is a very rare and fine cased Westley Richards Droplock (hand detachable lock) ejector, small bore double rifle. This rifle was made for the Maharaja of Alwar which was one of the main patrons of Westley Richards during the prewar Maharaja big game hunting “hey day”. This rifle was originally chambered for the .256 caliber but has since been rechambered for the very useful and plentiful 7x65r caliber (similar to .280 Rem). This conversion was likely done by Westley Richards after Simon Clode rescued this rifle from a vault or depot in India and brought it back to England to be fixed up and re-sold. It has also had scope mounts and a Swarovski 1.5-4.5x Nova scope fitted by Westley Richards in England as per the included paperwork. It has blued chopperlump Krupp steel 24” barrels lightly engraved “WESTLEY RICHARDS 178 NEW BOND St LONDON”, “GUNMAKERS BY APPOINTMENT TO HIS MAJESTY KING EDWARD VII”. The barrels feature select ejectors and matted and engraved quarter rib with ramped bead front sight and rear express sights features one standing leaf marked 100 yards and two folding leaves marked 200 and 300 yards respectively. The petite receiver has patina’d to be mostly silver finish. It features 90% English scroll coverage on the receiver and bottom lockplate cover as well as trigger guard. This rifle features dual select triggers. The bolted safety featured gold inlaid SAFE as well as BOLTED under the lockout lever. The forearm features a fully engraved lever release and buffalo horn tip inlaid to a widows peak. The buttstock is a strong best grade English walnut featuring checkered side panels, attractive figure and great dark streaking throughout. It has a beaded cheekpiece as well as gold escutcheon with rear sling swivel (front sling attachment in on the barrels) and checkered steel buttplate with trapdoor storage. The engraved trapdoor steel grip cap is also nicely silvered and patina’d. The rifle comes cased in a canvas case with accessories as shown. LOP is 14-1/2" and weight is 10 lbs with scope.

Overall rifle is in G/VG original condition with some faded barrel blacking and softened engraving. The stocks have been used and reoiled at some point (likely when Westley Richards got it from India) and has some nicks and dings in the metal and wood that are evidence of its likely use during royal hunting campaigns in India possibly from a howdah on the back of an Elephant. Overall, this is a great rifle that has obviously been used but cared for in its ~111 year history. Mechanics and bores are excellent.

Please note that I used pictures from the original sale listing as they are professional quality. However, if you wish to see anything specific, I am happy to provide additional pics.

There is also ample information in regard to the Maharaja of Alwar that can be found online or in the Westley Richards book, “In Pursuit of the Best Gun” and there is a bit of information and provenance included with the rifle. You can also see a nice video made by TGS Outdoors about this exact rifle here:

My ask price is $24,500 plus the cost of actual shipping to your FFL (please make sure your FFL will accept shipments from an individual). I can accept cashier’s checks for payment.

Please email me with any questions or if you wish to see additional pictures. Thanks!

Westley_Droplock_7x65r_Pic_1.jpg
Westley_Droplock_7x65r_Pic_2.jpg
Westley_Droplock_7x65r_Pic_3.jpg
Westley_Droplock_7x65r_Pic_4.jpg
Westley_Droplock_7x65r_Pic_5.jpg
Westley_Droplock_7x65r_Pic_6.jpg
Westley_Droplock_7x65r_Pic_7.jpg
Westley_Droplock_7x65r_Pic_8.jpg
Westley_Droplock_7x65r_Pic_9.jpg
Westley_Droplock_7x65r_Pic_10.jpg
Westley_Droplock_7x65r_Pic_11.jpg
Westley_Droplock_7x65r_Pic_12.jpg
Westley_Droplock_7x65r_Pic_13.jpg
Westley_Droplock_7x65r_Pic_14.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Now cross-posted. Thank you for the interest so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoracioSpi

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?