FrankenLandy anyone?

@mdwest Understand that but you think getting a elephant approval from USFW is hard try importing approval on said truck. If you got it here you wouldn't be allowed to license it for the road. Could use only off road etc. had a buddy do all the research when we got back from our first safari and the red tape would tie you up forever.
Their are a number of firms that import complete vehicles and exotic 4WD parts. I bought by 1993 diesel TLC from such a dealer. They usually register them in a 'diesel friencly' state and almost all states will allow a transfer of registratio from another state.

For the cost of doing some of the major mods mentioned (swapping out engines for a diesel, etc)... wouldnt it be cheaper just to import the truck you want?

I have a hard time cost justifying spending a couple of thousand bucks to import, and then a couple of thousand bucks to ship something like a diesel hi-lux or even a well preserved Land Rover or Land Cruiser..

but.. if Im going to pay the same amount to swap out engines, transmissions, etc..etc.. why not just find the truck you want on your next trip over and work out a deal?
Parts would be a big deal me. Anything from oil filters to overhaul kits, would be much quicker to find if you used common American engines/transmissions. I’d hate to be down for months when I could have gone to Napa.

I own four 4WD vehicles... HZJ73 SWB Landcruiser Diesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A, 100 series Landcruiser, Ford F350 7.3L crewcab P/U. I have owned many other 4WD vehicles, but these suit my current needs best.

I have, after owning FJ40s, FJ60s, FZJ80s, HZJ70s, and 100 series, come to the obvious conclusion that the Toyota Landcrusier is the most capable and reliable off-highway vehicle that can also be used for over-the-road travel.

As for modifications of vehicles, it's fun to fool with, but there is a load of complications and gotchas that can come along with performance modifications. And some suspension modifications.

Careful what you wish for.

My Willys helping out in the yard...
View attachment 561653
Love it! What diesel motor in the Landcruiser?

I have driven a 110 station wagon and 130 with an LS engine. Both were exceptionally smooth and done well with upgraded brakes, steering, and drive train. They were built by safarihp out of Orlando, Florida. It is a pretty costly venture when done correctly but seems to hold its value. I have also driven defenders with a chevy 250, Mercedes OM617 diesel, and retrofitted TD5 and 300tdi. If I had all the money in the world I would do an LS engine hands down. Its makes my 300tdi 110 feel pretty sad to drive. Have you seen the new INEOS Grenadier?

Love it! What diesel motor in the Landcruiser?
The engine is a 1HZ - the last non-turbo, mechanically controlled, fuel injected 6 cylinder, in-line diesel engine that Toyota offered.

This engine gets about 24 - 26 MPG on he highway. It has AC, PS, Comms, etc.
Engine Bay.JPG

Last edited:
The engine is a 1HZ - the last non-turbo, mechanically controlled, fuel injected 6 cylinder, in-line diesel engine that Toyota offered.

This engine gets about 24 - 26 MPG on he highway. It has AC, PS, Comms, etc.
View attachment 561753

Yes Sir . . . the legendary 1HZ . . . the most reliable safari vehicle engine in history.
Routine servicing and it'll go two hundred thousand miles without batting an eye, and often double that :oops:

The 1HZ is a wonderful engine, but the 1HDT is just as dependable, but with a factory turbo and still non electronic.

My 2002 cruiser is still like new. At 200,000ks I removed the 1HZ and installed the 1HDT. I put the 1Hz into another cruiser that engine has accumulated 500,000 k s w was added. I believe that engine was easily go to 750,000. What no one mentions is the injector pump and injectors.
Pump rebuild $3,000.00 injectors $1,000.00 up. A 1HZ or 1HDT must have s full seervice every 5000 ks.

I have owned over 10 Landcruisers from 1982 to 2020. Will over a million Ks. In my opinion the 2-F was the best Landcruiser ever. Just add a five speed box and factory power steering. Which was available in Aus.

Lon

I think you will find the 1 HZ
To long
To heavy
To expensive

Besides putting a 1 HZ in a landy is like putting perfume on a pig

A deceased friend put a BMW Turbo diesel
In a completely pro built Landy, he died and his brother was finally able to sell it for about $800.00

In Australia a lot of Hilux vehicles were retrofitted with a 253 cubic inch Holden motor.
Reliable motor with parts available and plenty of power for a Hilux

I own four 4WD vehicles... HZJ73 SWB Landcruiser Diesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A, 100 series Landcruiser, Ford F350 7.3L crewcab P/U. I have owned many other 4WD vehicles, but these suit my current needs best.

I have, after owning FJ40s, FJ60s, FZJ80s, HZJ70s, and 100 series, come to the obvious conclusion that the Toyota Landcrusier is the most capable and reliable off-highway vehicle that can also be used for over-the-road travel.

As for modifications of vehicles, it's fun to fool with, but there is a load of complications and gotchas that can come along with performance modifications. And some suspension modifications.

Careful what you wish for.

My Willys helping out in the yard...
View attachment 561653
I was a Jeeper myself. Always fancied the high hood 3B. Owned a 1981 CJ7 that was fully rebuilt with AMC 360 and T18 tranny hooked to full-floating Dana 60’s with 4.56’s rolling 35” rubber. Daily driver was a stock ‘93 YJ with the I-6.

Apologies for the Jeep detour. Back to Rover vs Cruiser.

Parts would be a big deal me. Anything from oil filters to overhaul kits, would be much quicker to find if you used common American engines/transmissions. I’d hate to be down for months when I could have gone to Napa.
From the Land Rover side of the house I can get parts quicker for my 1985 Land Rover than I can for my wife's Grand Cherokee.

@mdwest Understand that but you think getting a elephant approval from USFW is hard try importing approval on said truck. If you got it here you wouldn't be allowed to license it for the road. Could use only off road etc. had a buddy do all the research when we got back from our first safari and the red tape would tie you up forever.

@steve white I looked at those also, but as an old gear head and krazy off roader in my younger years I was looking at something a bit more radical. Custom frame 4x4 maunal transmission, extended cab 85-early 2000's period cab and front clip, flat bed that was setup with gooseneck adapter or 5th wheel hitch mounts, that would have option for stake bed. BT4 with compound turbo's (350-500 HP with 750-800 ftlbs of torque) geared to rock crawl in low range and cruise at 80MPH all day in high range.
Generally speaking it just has to be 25 years old. I have imported, titled, and licensed three Land Rovers from outside the US (1971, 1985, 1990).

The most important thing to look at in a landrover is inside the galvanized frame most will be rusted out. There are many left hand drive for sale in the states. Look in Hemmings, Landrover clubs.

I had a BJ42 with an aftermarket turbo. Imagine a 40 series LC with power steering, 5 speed manual, able to go 90+ MPH and get 20 MPG. The turbo made it into an amazing vehicle.
Downside, it was near impossible to get parts in the US for diesel specific parts and they had to be shipped to me from Canada. It had to go.

Last edited:
My wifes FJ47- factory equip:

2-H diesel
Power disc brakes
Power steering
Factory air
5 speed
Rear diff lock

Never had to repair or replace a part 5k maintenance schedule.

From the Land Rover side of the house I can get parts quicker for my 1985 Land Rover than I can for my wife's Grand Cherokee.
While I don’t know what Land Rover you have, I meant the models not sold and serviced in the USA. I’m sure some of the models sold only overseas have parts that US dealers won’t stock.

While I don’t know what Land Rover you have, I meant the models not sold and serviced in the USA. I’m sure some of the models sold only overseas have parts that US dealers won’t stock.
All of my Rovers are Rest of the World (ROW), I honestly have never ordered a part through a dealership in 30 years of driving them. There are loads of parts dealers in the US who carry most parts from 1950s on. Rovers North is an example. Most often its the same price with shipping to order from the UK and only takes a few days. I just waited 18 months on a trim piece for my wife's 2022 Grand Cherokee.

This was going to be my toy when wingshooting with my dog, going to the game reserves with my wife etc. 4,5 EFI short wheelbase.

IMG_2693.JPG

A week after buying it I got an offer I couldn’t refuse, so I flogged it and shot a 39&1/2” buffalo with 16” bosses with the change after investing the original amount.

Image1696620225.611002.jpg

My most reliable 4x4 is the good old Land Cruiser 79.

IMG_1245.JPG

Image1696620059.824327.jpg

I was a Jeeper myself. Always fancied the high hood 3B. Owned a 1981 CJ7 that was fully rebuilt with AMC 360 and T18 tranny hooked to full-floating Dana 60’s with 4.56’s rolling 35” rubber. Daily driver was a stock ‘93 YJ with the I-6.

Apologies for the Jeep detour. Back to Rover vs Cruiser.
ANY retromod is welcome to this discussion!

We're looking at the possibility of buying a small "ranch" in E TX in the near future.. nothing huge.. 100-150 acres (the place Im currently considering is about 130 acres).. but definitely big enough that a dedicated ranch vehicle will be in order..

I've got a decent UTV/Side by Side (Polaris Ranger 570 EV) that can do most of the work.. but I've thought an old Willys would be fun to have around as well.. I saw a 1958 Willys truck that was running and looked like it was in really good shape overall go for $9K at an auction recently.. and saw a 1963 USMC "radio" jeep (basically a left hand drive postal jeep with the enclosed top, etc) go for just under $8K that was running and in good condition..
I have built/added on many vehicles as ranch rides. These are two of my favorite. Custom replacement body on M151 components. I added new Escalade seats for comfort.

Other one is garden variety Wrangler. I sold the hard top and welded a roof on as well as a cooler rack in back.

E4BFCD3A-02FF-424D-BFD9-415F4B932477.jpeg
0986DBE4-1C8F-4F72-B710-45E26718E5F5.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sara29R474

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]