For Sale Dakota Traveler Safari 404 Dakota/7mm Dakota

Goat416

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, New Zealand, Mexico, USA
I have decided to sell my Dakota Traveler, which includes two barrels: one chambered in .404 Dakota and the other in 7mm Dakota. I previously posted this rifle looking for help determining the potential value and I've included a link to that post below. I understand that I’m new to this forum, with only a few posts and an expensive rifle up for sale. I’m well aware of the potential risks and want to ensure both parties feel comfortable and confident throughout the transaction. I chose to list this rifle on Africa Hunting because I want it to go to a hunter who will appreciate and use it, and I believe this forum provides the best exposure to the right audience.

Up for sale is my Dakota Arms Traveler Safari rifle that includes everything it originally came with, plus optics, a travel case, and ammunition. This rifle has never been hunted and has had approximately one box of ammunition run through each barrel when the optics were initially sighted in. It’s in near-new condition, although it does have a few blemishes from years of being in the safe.

I have tried contacting Parkwest Arms multiple times to inquire about the original build sheet and specifications, but I have not received any responses as of this post. The information I’m providing comes directly from the rifle, and I will do my best to answer any questions. I have posted the same pictures that were posted in the previous post and have many additional pictures available or can get on a video call with any perspective buyers if requested. I am certainly not opposed to a face-to-face meeting for anyone in the Salt Lake area.

Basic Specifications of the Rifle and Optics:
  • OAL: 42 ¼ inches
  • LOP: 13 ¼ inches
  • Weight: Approximately 9 pounds without optics and 10 pounds with the larger scope
  • Weight with case, guns, and tools: 32 ½ pounds
  • Barrel 1: 7mm Dakota – 23 inches / Leupold LPS 2.5-10X45mm with Fine Duplex Reticle with Talley quick detachable rings
  • Barrel 2: .404 Dakota – 23 inches / Leupold VX-iii 1.5-5X20mm with Duplex Reticle with Talley quick detachable rings
  • Both barrels have banded hooded front sights with rear island sights
Included Items:
  • Dan Walter Case - including combination and keys
  • Spare bolts and tool for changing the barrel
Included Ammunition - 220 rounds of .404 Dakota and 185 rounds of 7mm Dakota

404 Dakota Superior Loaded Ammunition:
  • 60 rounds Barnes 400 gr flat-nosed solids
  • 60 rounds Barnes 400 gr TSXs
  • 40 rounds Swift 400 gr A-Frames
404 Dakota Dakota Loaded Ammunition:
  • 40 rounds Barnes 400 gr round-nosed solids
  • 20 rounds Barnes 400 gr TSXs
7mm Dakota Superior Loaded Ammunition:
  • 123 rounds Barnes 140 gr TSXs
7mm Dakota Dakota Loaded Ammunition:
  • 62 rounds Barnes 160 gr Tipped TSXs
I’m asking for $10,000 shipped within the lower 48 states from my FFL to yours. I’m open to considering payment options that provide comfort for both the buyer and me, including using an escrow company that specializes in firearms transactions. Depending on the costs, I would also consider splitting a plane ticket for a face-to-face transaction. Shipping for both the firearm and ammunition will not be cheap. At this time I will not separate anything until the rifle has sold, and the buyer decides whether or not they want the other pieces of this package.

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/dakota-traveler-safari-7mm-dakota-404-dakota-value.83287/

Dakota Traveler-2059.jpg

Dakota Traveler-2132.jpg
Dakota Traveler-2071.jpg
Dakota Traveler-2064.jpg
Dakota Traveler-2079.jpg

Nice rifle(s) and a good deal for 2 guns. You should be able to get a build sheet from Parkwest. Would go a long way here to know the vintage and particular specs.

Beautiful gun, what is a .404 Dakota? Similar to a .404 jeffery?
I am sure there others here that are more knowledgeable on the origins of these calibers, but it is my understanding both of these calibers are based on the 404 Jeffery casing.

Nice rifle(s) and a good deal for 2 guns. You should be able to get a build sheet from Parkwest. Would go a long way here to know the vintage and particular specs.
Understandable and if there is someone on the forum that has an inside track to get information from Parkwest about a Dakota build please PM me. The main reason for the delay between the original post and listing the rifle for sale was spent trying to get anyone to reply to my requests. I wasn't even able to get reply stating they no longer had the information.

Wow, that didn't take long!! Great going for both buyer and seller!

Wow. That is a great price for such a beautiful rifle and hard to find ammo.

In the world of proprietary Dakota cartridge rifles, I think this is the nicest one I’ve seen. Exceptionally nice wood with a very nice wrap around checkering including fleur de lis panels. Very nice. You don’t find the Dakota proprietaries with iron sights too often either.

Congrats to buyer and seller.

Congrats to buyer and seller. I will say the seller had a great listing and understanding of what would help sell the rifle to include sharing the cost of a plane ticket. That goes a long ways towards building comfort levels when you aren't known yet. Well done.

Glad that Krish got it. I was formerly looking a long time for a similar package. They are hard to find and as said above, this is the nicest example I have seen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarionKueh

Latest profile posts

thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?
1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe