For Sale Custom Dakota 416 Rigby

QuailyBirds

AH member
Reaction score
For sale is my Custom Dakota 416 Rigby. It was made for the 1995 Houston Safari Club to celebrate Harry Selby's 50th year of Professional Hunting.

The gun is based on a Dakota 76 action, and was made by Wayne Baker (engraved as such on the barrel). The gun contains quite a bit of engraving and gold accents on the barrel, sight base, action, pistol grip cap, and most notably, the bottom metal. The bottom metal states "Celebrating 50 Years of Professional Hunting, Harry Selby Edition" and includes the seal/logo of the East African Professional Hunters Association in a silvery metal. The rifle includes 50 yard open sights, with a flip up 100 yard sight. The 30mm quick detach rings have been engraved to match the rifle.

The rifles specs are as follows:

Weight: 10.4 lbs scoped
Barrel Length: 22.5" inches
LOP: 13 1/8" to end of a 3/4" rubber pad

I have shot this rifle at 35 yards and it groups well (most 2-shot groups touching). I am not the original owner of the rifle, and it seems the rifle has been used in the field as there is some scarring on the stock throughout. There are no deep scratches but definitely indentations/marks on multiple parts of the stock. There is also some slight rust pitting on the barrel swivel band, and some bluing discolorations around the rear sight base. I have attempted to take pictures of these imperfections, and can provide more if needed.

The largest of big game has been moved off my list so time to pass this along. I am listing this rifle without the scope for $7,500 + shipping, and am including the matched rings and the following loaded ammo (~75 Swift 400 gr A-Frame, ~18 Hendershots Barnes 400gr TSX, ~50 Barnes 400gr RN Solid, and 40 Hornady 400gr DGX Bonded) along with 150 Barnes 350gr TSX bullets, and 250 400gr TSX bullets. The ammo/bullets have a market value of ~$2,000. Will also consider selling the scope with the rifle.

IMG_9947.jpg
IMG_9950.jpg
IMG_9934.jpg
IMG_9935.jpg
IMG_9936.jpg
IMG_9937.jpg
IMG_9928.jpg
IMG_9929.jpg
IMG_9930.jpg
IMG_9931.jpg
IMG_9932.jpg
IMG_9933.jpg
IMG_9938.jpg
IMG_9940.jpg
IMG_9941.jpg
IMG_9942.jpg
IMG_9951.jpg
IMG_9952.jpg
IMG_9943.jpg
IMG_9945.jpg
IMG_9946.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
For sale is my Custom Dakota 416 Rigby. It was made for the 1995 Houston Safari Club to celebrate Harry Selby's 50th year of Professional Hunting.

The gun is based on a Dakota 76 action, and was made by Wayne Baker (engraved as such on the barrel). The gun contains quite a bit of engraving and gold accents on the barrel, sight base, action, pistol grip cap, and most notably, the bottom metal. The bottom metal states "Celebrating 50 Years of Professional Hunting, Harry Selby Edition" and includes the seal/logo of the East African Professional Hunters Association in a silvery metal. The rifle includes 50 yard open sights, with a flip up 100 yard sight. The 30mm quick detach rings have been engraved to match the rifle.

The rifles specs are as follows:

Weight: 10.4 lbs scoped
Barrel Length: 22.5" inches
LOP: 13 1/8" to end of a 3/4" rubber pad

I have shot this rifle at 35 yards and it groups well (most 2-shot groups touching). I am not the original owner of the rifle, and it seems the rifle has been used in the field as there is some scarring on the stock throughout. There are no deep scratches but definitely indentations/marks on multiple parts of the stock. There is also some slight rust pitting on the barrel swivel band, and some bluing discolorations around the rear sight base. I have attempted to take pictures of these imperfections, and can provide more if needed.

The largest of big game has been moved off my list so time to pass this along. I am listing this rifle without the scope for $7,500 + shipping, and am including the matched rings and the following loaded ammo (~75 Swift 400 gr A-Frame, ~18 Hendershots Barnes 400gr TSX, ~50 Barnes 400gr RN Solid, and 40 Hornady 400gr DGX Bonded) along with 150 Barnes 350gr TSX bullets, and 250 400gr TSX bullets. The ammo/bullets have a market value of ~$2,000. Will also consider selling the scope with the rifle.

View attachment 574656
View attachment 574666
Very nice Dakota, what wood was used for the forend tip?

Very nice Dakota, what wood was used for the forend tip?
I sometimes ask myself that, esp. with regard to Sako fore end woods--and as far as I know they don't advertise what they use! Ebony for me, at the end of the day.

I don't know what type of wood the tip is made of. It seems to have a slightly different grain than the stock and is definitely darker.
They normally use Ebony, that looks like maybe Rosewood?

if i needed a 416 this would be it. with my 375 and 470 just cannot justify the caliber. beautiful gun!!!!!

if i needed a 416 this would be it. with my 375 and 470 just cannot justify the caliber. beautiful gun!!!!!
Need?!? Justify?!? The correct terms would be, "I wanted it" and therefore "rationalized" it, lol

Beautiful rifle! Pretty sure the forend is rosewood, color and grain are right for that.

lol!!! forgive me you are so very correct. Just bought my new 470 and have to sell my Rigby 275 so unfortunately this is out of the question but great rifle!!!

Beautiful rifle. My 76 is one smooth shooter. Whoever buys this will be very happy. GLWS

Who was the rifle made for, was it an auction piece to raise funds?

So is it 12.375” (close) from trigger to end of wood?

So is it 12.375” (close) from trigger to end of wood?
It is 12 3/16" exactly to the end of the wood. There is a 1/4" spacer and a ~3/4" (somewhere between 5/8 and 6/8) pad. The LOP is somewhere between 13 2/16" and 13 3/16" depending on where you measure it to, as the butt pad has a curve to it on the ends so is different in the center than the edge. It could be lengthened slightly with a 1" pad.

Last edited:
It is 12 3/16" exactly to the end of the wood. There is a 1/4" spacer and a ~3/4" (somewhere between 5/8 and 6/8) pad. It could be lengthened slightly with a 1" pad.
Ok. Thank you. Just wanted to make sure if the spacer was included/not included in the 3/4”.

The previous owner stated it was for an auction to raise funds. I do not know if it was used prior to the auction by Harry or not.
Seems like an odd LOP, unless it was shortened after the fact.

Seems like an odd LOP, unless it was shortened after the fact.
I agree, that's an odd LOP. And it really doesn't appear to be short from looking at the photos.

I'm no fan of 416 Rigby but understandably a Harry Selby special edition couldn't be any other caliber. This seems to be a fair price. I have over $2K into my 404 build on a 98 Mauser and it's not NEARLY as nice a rifle.

Is this one built on a standard action like Harry's was? I'm not familiar with Dakota actions. Well, if memory serves me correctly his rifle was a standard 98 Mauser. Maybe I'm wrong?

My Dakota 76 Safari .416 Rigby is one of my favorite rifles...beautiful and very accurate. The components included with this are valuable and it takes time to gather .416 items.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaulEqm871

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!