Flying with rifles

JonP203

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
SCI
Hi all,
I am trying to book flights for my August 2024 hunt with Limcroma. My wife and I have been in contact with both Gracey and travel express. This will be our first hunting trip to S.A. Ideally we would like a flight with minimal connecting flights and fly a foreign airline if possible. We have heard great things about Quatar, as well as other foreign airlines. Our travel agents are apprehensive with booking flights other than CT(Bradley) due to all the NY(JFK) and MA(Logan) firearm laws. I would like to hear first hand experiences, good or bad, flying out of JFK or Logan? We would be flying into Jo'berg. Thanks!

Last edited:
I booked with @TRAVEL EXPRESS last year. They are great.

Qatar made guns very easy. I flew to Namibia which was part of my choice in using Qatar. I didn’t want to have to over night in South Africa and the transfer guns in SA on my way to Namibia. Overall, Qatar was great option to get to Namibia.

I think if I was hunting SA I would want to do the delta flight.

Hope that makes sense and can help at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would listen and follow religiously whatever advice you are provided by @TRAVEL EXPRESS or Gracy. They do this every day for a living.

My first trip over I flew out of JFK and had a connecting flight from SLC and had zero problems, my luggage and rifle were checked all the way through to Joberg.

My second trip I flew out of Denver to Dallas on American and then on Qatar, here also my luggage and rifle were checked all the way through to Joberg. The only problem with Qatar was the requirement to do a Firearm Surrender Permit to them. We had to leave the secured area and go to the ticketing agent upstairs in Dallas. The biggest problem with Qatar is the length of the two flights, one 16 or so hours and then the 8 hours from Doha to Joberg. Going over wasn't too bad but coming back was a killer. I flew economy/cattle class.

If I go back I'll either fly Delta out of Atlanta or United out of New Jersey, both are direct flights. Don't believe all the stories that you hear about Newark airport and firearms, as long as you don't take possession of them you will be fine. If you are worried about that fly out of Atlanta on Delta.

One big thing if your outfitter isn't picking you up in Joberg contact Henry at Rifle Permits.com and get your permits preapproved along with his meet and greet. It cost a little but it is well worth it.

I’m in Maine April will be second trip to SA. First trip we flew out of Logan on Qatar. No problems at all with rifles coming or going. Return trip was thru Philly so that was Port of Entry. No problems there either. Pretty painless. Next trip we will fly Qatar again departing and returning thru Logan.

I have flown
Delta Houston Atlanta Johberg
Qatar Houston Doha Johberg
United Houston Newark Johberg

United Never again !!
Worst flight ever for me and gun hassle in return.

Qatar. 2 flights. Best ever. Prices have gotten high tho.

Delta. Good service and will do Atlanta over Newark any day. Prices good for 2024 looks like.

But all in all.
Do what @TRAVEL EXPRESS recommends from your departure point. Jennifer know things we don't about issues. She books all my flights.

Delta in 2024 June for me. Tickets bought

Definitely use Jennifer with @TRAVEL EXPRESS. Rifle permit with Henry and meet and greet well worth it. Meet and greet will meet you when you get of the plane and bring you to the front of the customs line then grab your baggage and turn you over to Henry to pick up your rifle. Qatar, Houston, Doha, Joberg twice so far. KLM once there and Emirates back. KLM never again, but emirates wasn't bad. Don't know how they are with rifles.

I booked with @TRAVEL EXPRESS last year. They are great.

Qatar made guns very easy. I flew to Namibia which was part of my choice in using Qatar. I didn’t want to have to over night in South Africa and the transfer guns in SA on my way to Namibia. Overall, Qatar was great option to get to Namibia.

I think if I was hunting SA I would want to do the delta flight.

Hope that makes sense and can help at all.
Great, thanks for the reply. I'll look into that.

My first trip over I flew out of JFK and had a connecting flight from SLC and had zero problems, my luggage and rifle were checked all the way through to Joberg.

My second trip I flew out of Denver to Dallas on American and then on Qatar, here also my luggage and rifle were checked all the way through to Joberg. The only problem with Qatar was the requirement to do a Firearm Surrender Permit to them. We had to leave the secured area and go to the ticketing agent upstairs in Dallas. The biggest problem with Qatar is the length of the two flights, one 16 or so hours and then the 8 hours from Doha to Joberg. Going over wasn't too bad but coming back was a killer. I flew economy/cattle class.

If I go back I'll either fly Delta out of Atlanta or United out of New Jersey, both are direct flights. Don't believe all the stories that you hear about Newark airport and firearms, as long as you don't take possession of them you will be fine. If you are worried about that fly out of Atlanta on Delta.

One big thing if your outfitter isn't picking you up in Joberg contact Henry at Rifle Permits.com and get your permits preapproved along with his meet and greet. It cost a little but it is well worth it.
Thank you for the detailed reply and information. I will look into that and appreciation the reassurance. First time nerves and just want everything to go as smoothly as possible.

I’m in Maine April will be second trip to SA. First trip we flew out of Logan on Qatar. No problems at all with rifles coming or going. Return trip was thru Philly so that was Port of Entry. No problems there either. Pretty painless. Next trip we will fly Qatar again departing and returning thru Logan.
Good to hear, thank you. Enjoy your upcoming hunt!

I have flown
Delta Houston Atlanta Johberg
Qatar Houston Doha Johberg
United Houston Newark Johberg

United Never again !!
Worst flight ever for me and gun hassle in return.

Qatar. 2 flights. Best ever. Prices have gotten high tho.

Delta. Good service and will do Atlanta over Newark any day. Prices good for 2024 looks like.

But all in all.
Do what @TRAVEL EXPRESS recommends from your departure point. Jennifer know things we don't about issues. She books all my flights.

Delta in 2024 June for me. Tickets bought
Thank you for the advice. I'll cross united off the list. I appreciate the feedback and will look into that.

Definitely use Jennifer with @TRAVEL EXPRESS. Rifle permit with Henry and meet and greet well worth it. Meet and greet will meet you when you get of the plane and bring you to the front of the customs line then grab your baggage and turn you over to Henry to pick up your rifle. Qatar, Houston, Doha, Joberg twice so far. KLM once there and Emirates back. KLM never again, but emirates wasn't bad. Don't know how they are with rifles.
Glad to hear, I will look into that as well. Thank you!

How are they recommending you to travel from Connecticut?

How are they recommending you to travel from Connecticut?
Bradley via Delta with 1 stop in Atlanta then to Joberg.

Bradley via Qatar with 2 stops, Philly, Doha, then to Joberg.

Newark via United direct flight to Joberg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elise15I75

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles