First South African Safari Frontier Safari's

jimbo1972

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
As this was my first international big game hunt I am going to go into as much detail as possible to help any new hunters who are on the fence about going to South Africa in general and Frontier Safari's/Burchell Game Reserve in specific.
Summary, just go you won't regret it!
Preparation:
Got permission from the misses to do another big hunt and had planned to go elk hunting. I have been lucky enough to hunt several western states over a decade ago but my hunting partners who knew where to go on public land and had the gear unfortunately have either passed away or gotten too old to climb mountains. Looking for a guided hunt I contacted Worldwide Trophy adventures WTA (Cabela's booking service). I was able to talk with a wonderful gentleman named Dino Bugni and we discussed options and I was surprised how much a quality private land Elk hunt would cost. During our conversation Dino asked if I have ever thought about hunting South Africa. I of course said yes and in fact I have dreamed of hunting Africa since I was a small kid watching Mutual of Omaha Wild Kingdom. I thought it would be crazy expensive but after talked with Dino I realized it was really reasonable. Originally I was going to do a 10 day 6 animal package for $5000, but decided to do the 10 day 12 animal package for $7500. Was a little concerned if I could really kill 12 animals in 10 days of hunting but Dino said I wouldn't have a problem.
So right after Christmas 2024 I booked and started my prep. My trip started July 10th and hunting started July 13.
First thing I did was started working out and losing weight. I am 52 years old, 6'4" and have always been big but with the holidays I had ballooned to over 320 lbs. Managed to loose 62 lbs by the time I left.
Second task was to buy a shooting stick, actually ended up buying 3 different ones over the next few months as I have lots of hunting experience but almost no experience shooting from sticks. First I bought a primos shooting stick and it was ok up to 100 yards but I struggled past that range. Second I bought a beautiful set of shooting sticks from African Sporting Creations. Unfortunately within 5 minutes of dry fire practice one of the legs broke, I believe this is not an issue with the design but just a freak weakness in that piece of wood. I contacted Jim at African Sporting creations and I had a replacement in a few days. Great customer service. With the African Sporting shooting I was good to shoot well past 300 yards. With that said they are really heavy and challenging for me to walk and practice shooting random yardages by myself. Finally I bought 4 Stable Sticks Ultimate Carbon Shooting sticks on Amazon. This was the answer I was looking for, supper steady, lightweight at slightly over 1lb and tough as nails. With these I could shoot any distance without a problem.
Firearms: I own many firearms but since I was going to hunt the mountains of the Eastern Cape I wanted to take my lightest weight rifles that could do the job. I quickly decided to take my Tikka T3 Roughtech in 300 Win Mag. I also planned to take my Ruger number 1 in 338 Win Mag. I took these to the the closest US Customs and Borders Office and got a 4457 Form completed. Pretty interesting process as I had to leave the firearms in the car and they walked out to see them. The border agent did check the serial numbers and I was off in a few minutes.
I have owned the Ruger number 1 for about a decade and it shoots cheap Remington corelocks pretty well. I have taken a few deer but have never really tested it for real accuracy. I was concerned the Corelocks wouldn't be tough enough so I bought several brands of ammo in 338. Barnes, Accubond in two different manufacturers, Hornady CX and a couple of more. I couldn't get the accuracy I wanted so I decided to leave it at home and take a different rifle.
I decided to replace the Ruger with a Savage Ultralight in 300WSM. Once again made the 90 minute drive to Customs and Border Protection to get an update 4457 filled out. This time they didn't even look at the rifles.
Sent this to my travel Agent at PWP travel (highly recommended them) so they could get Africa Sky who was going to to the SAPS paperwork. A day or so later got a call from Kasey to inform me that Africa Sky says SAPS says 300 win mag and 300wsm are too close to the same caliber and I could not bring them in as this violated South Africa rule of only having one firearm of a caliber. She didn't believe them and contacted the other 4 companies they use in South Africa and they confirmed South Africa would not let me bring in a 300 win mag and 300 wsm at the same time.
So I took as my backup rifle my heavy barrel custom rifle in 7mm Rem Mag that weighs 14lbs. Another trip to Customs and Border Protection and I had my final 4457 Form in hand without looking at the rifles.
Now the rifles were selected I chose the ammo. The Tikka loves everything so I decided on 300 win mag 200 grain Federal Terminal Ascent and with the 7mm Rem mag chose 155 grain Federal terminal ascent. I am very fortunate that have 200 acres with a shooting range out to 250 yards. Don't even know how many rounds I shot but I became very good at setting up quickly and shooting in less that a few seconds. In addition I live about 90 minutes from the CMP Talledega Marksmanship park which has an electronic scored range out to 600 yards and more important steel animal range out to 600. To fine tune on a bench to distance then shoot from my sticks on animal size targets gave me lots of confidence. Travel in next posting.

Attachments

• IMG_5657.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5658.jpeg
    7.1 MB · Views: 12
Travel.
I am lucky I had a ton of frequent flyer points and only live 90 minutes outside of Atlanta so I opted to fly Business class on Delta. Great experience and really great service going.
Used Africa Sky for VIP service which I strongly recommend. The rep was waiting at the end of the ramp and walked me to the head of the line for customs ahead of thousands of others. The line I got in had 2 other people. He then waited behind the security line. When it was my turn the customs lady asked how I got in her line and I pointed to the guy who waved (I think his name was Tolbert but don't hold me to that) she laughed stamped my passport and I was off to get my suitcase. He walked me to baggage claim and I got my suitcase, then to the SAPS office. Besides having to wait about 5 minutes for my rifle case to get to the SAPS office I was off. I met Gilbert outside the SAPS office and he took me and several other hunters to Africa Sky Guest House. From the time I walked off the plane till I was in Africa Sky guest house was less than 30 minutes. At the front desk I was given a menu and I selected my meat and went to my room. About 15 minutes later I was in the dinning room and was eating. It was extermely good and and the room and the whole experience was outstanding. Next morning Gilbert took us to the airport and walked us ahead of everyone to get the front of the Airlink line to Port Elizabeth. Then walked us to the firearm room where I turned over my rifle to be put on the plan. Super easy. Well worth the money.
One issue in South Africa is with apple AirTags. Almost no one who works at the airport has a iPhone so the AirTag doesn't help much. Also had a problem with the signal getting out of my aluminum suitcase. Minor issue as I saw my gun case getting loaded on the plane.
Flight to Port Elizabeth wasn't great and took a little over a hour and half. They offer a sandwich and drink and including beer or wine if you are interested at no extra cost.
Next segment meeting PH's

Attachments

• IMG_5829.jpeg
    IMG_5829.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5843.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5830.jpeg
    IMG_5830.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5828.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5827.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5820.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5819.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5815.jpeg
    IMG_5815.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5796.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5793.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5788.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 13
Did you notice the spray can of DOOM insect spray in your bathroom at the African Sky? I used mine a bit later in my hunt and the name DOOM became a running joke the rest of the trip

Landed in Port Elizabeth and collected my suitcase and Ivan and Dion from Frontier was waiting right outside the door from baggage claim.
Did you notice the spray can of DOOM insect spray in your bathroom at the African Sky? I used mine a bit later in my hunt and the name DOOM became a running joke the rest of the trip
I miss that

Landed in Port Elizabeth and collected my suitcase and Ivan from Frontier was waiting right outside the door from baggage claim. They showed me the firearms office and we were on our way. Kian Burchell was to be my PH but he was getting his Land Cruiser serviced I would meet him that night at dinner. After the 90 minute drive from PE to Frontier we stopped by Bushman River Taxidermy which the Burchell family owns and is run by Fred and Helena Burchell. Got a tour and was very impressed. Once we got Frontier had a great lunch, signed my hunting permit and went to the range. Both rifles were on and I was ready to hunt. That night had my first of many great dinners and met Kian my PH, his older brother Fred and his father Barry and his mother Lizell. The room was a rustic 4 star of stone. They do something pretty neat and put a heavy duty heating blanket under the bottom sheet. turn that baby on high when you go to bed after walking up and down those Eastern Cape mountains and wake up loose as a goose the next morning.
Next is hunting day one.

Hunting Day 1
After breakfast met my PH Kian and I had arranged for a professional camera guy from Nyala Republic films to film my hunt. My camera guy is Elgar Botha. This due beside being one hell of a camera guy was a joy to be around. I had always wanted to film a hunt but could not afford it in the states. For $200 a day we got a camera guy who was perfect. I was a little concerned how having a camera would affect the flow of the hunt and it didn't affect it at all. He would ask us what the plan was and then after we harvested an animal he would ask us what happen and we would recap. Every once in a while he would say can I get a shot as the truck drove by and that was it. Really made the process relaxed plus it's not hard to like a guy who works as hard as the PH but is never in the way.
The night before Kian asked what animal I wanted to take the most. I know most people would say Kudu and don't get me wrong I wanted a nice Kudu but the number one was Gemsbok. I have been applying for the White sands missile range Oryx hunt for years with no luck. So we headed out after picking up Nadie the tracker and Lilly the Jack Russell tracking dog.
We drove up to a mountain meadow glassing for Gemsbok. We saw dozens of other animals but no Gemsbok, as we come on another meadow we saw some nice Blesbuck and decided to see if we can get closer. After a several hundred yard stalk we got through some bush and had 3 Red Hartebeest between us and the group of blesbuck with the closest one being a really nice one. Since Red Hartebeest I chose to take what the bush gave us. We stalked another few hundred yards and got to 148 yards of the Hartebeest. I got on the sticks and was pretty calm but I could hear Kian's breathing beside me nervously. I thought should I be more nervous and at that time the Hartebeest cleared the bush he was behind. Bang! A 200 grain 300 win mag round through both shoulders and out of habit I automatically reloaded and as soon as Kian said shoot again put a follow up shot in the Hartebeest and it was down. Perfect first African animal. Pictures took and Hartebeest in the buckee and we were off looking for my Gemsbok.
No luck the rest of the morning although we saw a lot of animals.
Hartebeest dropped off at skinning shed and at lunch and a short nap and headed back out at 2:30.
Ended up chasing a nice Blesbuck for over a hour and across two mountains. Off the buckee stalk and the three group of three blesbuck would slip over the next hill. Get on the buckee to try to get ahead of it. After about 3 miles we finally got ahead of it at got set up. It was the last of the 3 and got to 230 yards and I put another 300 win mag Terminal ascent bullet right behind the shoulder. It ran about 50 yards and piled up. Kian and Nadie took pole and carried it at least half mile straight up hill. Great end to a first day hunting, followed by a great dinner.
Next post day 2 of hunting

Attachments

• IMG_5872.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5889.jpeg
    IMG_5889.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_3060.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5894.jpeg
    9.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5895.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5900.jpeg
    7.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5902.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5903.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deo

Latest profile posts

gunslinger1971 wrote on Gray Fox's profile.
Do you still have the Browning 1895 and do you want to sell it? I'm might be interested. If so please let me know and do you have any pictures?

Steve in Missouri
[redacted]
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.