Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
Well today was my third trip out with the Searcy, but first time with loads I built. Along with the rifle came a nice big box of goodies. This included a bunch of 500gr Woodleigh RN softs and primed Jamison brass. It was a good thing that I had some primed brass as I discovered this week I will need a new priming tool to work with these big cases.

Over on another site as luck would have it, there was a thread on using IMR 7977 for this caliber. One advantage of this very slow burning powder is you fill the case and avoid having to use any filler. So I loaded up two rounds each at 119, 120, 121, 122 and 123gr last night.

I found with the Woodleighs and their short shallow ogive that they had to be seated deeper than the 3.98" SAAMI spec. How far exactly I don't know. In the box of goodies was a number of rounds loaded with the same bullet and so I just used that as my starting point for these loads. That turned out to 3.875" +/- which is seating to the cannelure on the bullet.

This in turn without question resulted in compressed loads at no more than 121gr of powder and probably to a lesser degree in the lighter loads. It's just that by 121gr, I could definitely feel the resistance of the powder being compressed.

Shooting conditions were near perfect today. Sunny in mid 60's with just enough of a breeze to help cool warm barrels. The results below are from 25 yards versus the normal 50. In addition to being a load development exercise, I'm also getting used to shooting open sights on a rifle which I have little experience with.

I have some more work to do, but all in all I think this looks pretty promising. My rifle has extractors. The extractors seemed to have no problem easily sliding the spent cases out. So there seems to be no pressure issues. The 123gr load is listed as max on the Hodgdon/IMR website.

This is at 119gr of powder
IMG_1513.JPG

120gr load
IMG_1514.JPG

I know I jerked the second shot just a bit at this 121gr load
IMG_1515.JPG

I adjusted my sight picture with the front bead just a bit with these shots.
122gr load
IMG_1516.JPG

Without question I yanked the second shot on this one. Recoil while building through these heavier loads seemed to take a bigger jump with these 123 gr loads.
IMG_1517.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Why didn’t you show the photos where you flinched and missed paper?

Seriously, it looks great!

How does the kick compare to the B&M?

It’s got to be neat buying a rifle that comes with a big box of goodies!

Now Phil tha5 looks like elephant cutting shots

@BRICKBURN, can you work your magic and rotate those pics?

Now Phil tha5 looks like elephant cutting shots

At least buffalo I hope. Long term plan is to put the RMR red dot sight sitting beside me on it.

Why didn’t you show the photos where you flinched and missed paper?

Seriously, it looks great!

How does the kick compare to the B&M?

It’s got to be neat buying a rifle that comes with a big box of goodies!

The kick is similar to the B&M, maybe a little stronger. Problem is I don't have a sling for it and therefore I can't do what I do with the .458 to reduce muzzle jump.

Those results look very good. It will take care of buff or elephant all day long.

Looks good Phil. Keep up the good work, I need to start on my load development for the 470 also. Hadn’t looked at 7977!

Looks good Phil. Keep up the good work, I need to start on my load development for the 470 also. Hadn’t looked at 7977!

Don't know what you have for equipment, but things change with these big boys. Neither of my RCBS primer tools work, need the Lyman (thanks @AZDAVE for that info).

My RCBS press, either the Rockchucker or Rockchucker Supreme not sure which I have anymore works, but bullet seating is tight. You have to manipulate the bullet slightly into die opening and then bring it down to the brass. If the clearance from the brass to the die were much smaller, not sure I could use my press.

Beyond that, keep a cup of coffee or glass of iced tea nearby. Takes awhile to drop 120gr of powder! Got time for a drink.

Don't know what you have for equipment, but things change with these big boys. Neither of my RCBS primer tools work, need the Lyman (thanks @AZDAVE for that info).

My RCBS press, either the Rockchucker or Rockchucker Supreme not sure which I have anymore works, but bullet seating is tight. You have to manipulate the bullet slightly into die opening and then bring it down to the brass. If the clearance from the brass to the die were much smaller, not sure I could use my press.

Beyond that, keep a cup of coffee or glass of iced tea nearby. Takes awhile to drop 120gr of powder! Got time for a drink.
I ended up buying a 50 BMG press just for the purpose of loading the 505 Gibbs and the NE so I didn’t have to play that game. Good to know on the Lyman priming tool. Mike Dillon needs to make a Safari Press! Lol

I use a Lee 50 BMG press, need is for several of the long rounds that just won't work in a normal sized press. Have fun working on your loads. It is very rewarding when everything comes together and You have "THE LOAD" for that bullet and rifle combination.

Thanks @BRICKBURN!

@Philip Glass, the guy I got this info from shoots a .470 Krieghoff. I don't know if you build your own or not. If you don't, this info could be used to have custom loads built for you.

That’s good shooting Phil I would go with the most comfortable as they all look rather acceptable to me. Oh and I have found the more I use my double the better I’m getting. It’s like nothing I’ve ever used I. My life. But god it’s fun!

So I went to Cabelas yesterday and bought a Lyman priming tool. Why didnt I buy one sooner? This is the easiest one to use on the market! Thanks guys

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChauChambe

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?