First Double Rifle, a project

Aussie Mal

AH member
Reaction score
Media
I'm happy to have found and purchased my first double rifle even though it's missing something vitally important! It's a well made Belgium, Anson & Deeley boxlock ejector in .375 Flanged NE, built in 1930, the bores are immaculate but the sad fact is it's missing a forend. Please wish me luck in getting one made to a good standard without exceeding my budget too much. I'll keep you all informed.
SSA43167.JPG
SSA43169.JPG
SSA43170.JPG
SSA43165.JPG
SSA43162.JPG
SSA43163.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Australia....
I'm sure there's people there who know how to make gunstocks.

Might the buttstock need refinishing to make it match a new fore-end?

Australia....
I'm sure there's people there who know how to make gunstocks.

Might the buttstock need refinishing to make it match a new fore-end?
Yes I'll have the chequering re-cut and the stock refinished. The problem is there's no fore-end at all which includes the ejector mechanisms

It's not just a piece of wood,.... there are the metal locking parts missing too, I guess....

What I think is, the foreend is necessary to cocks the locks & ejectors, isn't it?

Does the gun has ejectors? (two part extractor!)

Picture of the bottom of the barrels would be nice.

HWL

You need to find a very experienced (with doubles) gunmaker or gunsmith down there to do that forend iron. No two were interchangeable even between the same model by the same builder. If it was an ejector gun, it will be more complicated.

I wish you the very best of luck, I attempted the same feat with a double twelve shotgun. I was unable to find anyone who could do the work in eastern Canada. That said I wasn't willing to spend all that much as the shotgun was only destined for the wall anyways.

@Red Leg seems to be a very knowledgable gentleman when it comes to doubles. Perhaps he will chime in.

Someone like Bob DeVries or Rolf Bachnic should be able to sort the problem. World class craftsmen...

Aussie Mal, sorry if I missed your introductory post. You will soon find that the collective knowledge on AH is without parallel. Hopefully the suggestions you receive here will get your problem resolved. As you already know, anything to do with Double Rifles is expensive and that competent craftsmen are hard to find as well as few and far between.

Aussie Mal, sorry if I missed your introductory post. You will soon find that the collective knowledge on AH is without parallel. Hopefully the suggestions you receive here will get your problem resolved. As you already know, anything to do with Double Rifles is expensive and that competent craftsmen are hard to find as well as few and far between.
Thank you. I know what has to be done and who is capable of doing it, I just have to wait until they're back to work from a break and see if they want the job and can give me a ballpark figure on cost. I'm hoping the worst scenario would be a very nice forend that makes it a non-ejector. Would definitely prefer its original form as an ejector though.

Best of luck! The gun is certainly interesting

One other comment about your rifle. The .375 flanged NE earned a so so reputation as a cat gun in the pre-WWII era. It was considered an adequate choice for lion or tiger and the wonderful engraving on your rifle is appropriate for the caliber. However, assuming it is the flanged NE and not the .375 flanged magnum (essentially a .375 H&H with a rim), it would not be considered a modern dangerous game rifle. Most were regulated for 270 gr bullet at around 2000 fps and muzzle energy around 2300 foot pounds. I definitely wouldn't poke a buffalo with it. It would make a magnificent wild boar rifle.

One finds quite a few Lee Speeds in this caliber. Recoil was mild enough for the little enfield and the rifle created the perception at least of being more powerful than a standard .303.

I agree, trying to build an ejector system for this rifle from scratch would be a challenging and expensive endeavor. Glad you have a man there who can build the forend iron.

Can anyone post a pic of the forend ejector setting mechanism. I am intrigued !

One other comment about your rifle. The .375 flanged NE earned a so so reputation as a cat gun in the pre-WWII era. It was considered an adequate choice for lion or tiger and the wonderful engraving on your rifle is appropriate for the caliber. However, assuming it is the flanged NE and not the .375 flanged magnum (essentially a .375 H&H with a rim), it would not be considered a modern dangerous game rifle. Most were regulated for 270 gr bullet at around 2000 fps and muzzle energy around 2300 foot pounds. I definitely wouldn't poke a buffalo with it. It would make a magnificent wild boar rifle.

One finds quite a few Lee Speeds in this caliber. Recoil was mild enough for the little enfield and the rifle created the perception at least of being more powerful than a standard .303.

I agree, trying to build an ejector system for this rifle from scratch would be a challenging and expensive endeavor. Glad you have a man there who can build the forend iron.

Hi Red Leg, Yes it is the Flanged NE 2 1/2". And I think the engraving shows what it was originally intended for.
I intend using it on wild camel, red and sambar deer and feral pigs. Would no doubt shoot dingo etc with it too if opportunities arise.

Last edited by a moderator:
To get a good diagram or pic probably best to google Southgate Ejectors, and Deeley Ejectors. Originally my rifle would have had either one or the other of those designs. Going by the end of the ejector shafts in relation to the muzzle end of the barrel flats, I guess it had Deeley ejectors. ?

Foreend of a double with ejectors, .405 Winchester, Made in Belgium, Liege, 1931 by Raik Freres.
DSC04120.JPG
DSC04121.JPG
DSC04122.JPG
DSC04123.JPG
DSC04124.JPG

HWL

HWL, Thank you so much for posting these photos. I'm sure they will be of great help to me as my rifle with the missing foreend also happens to be made in by Raick Freres. Mine was built in 1930, serial number 2378. If ever you happen separate the foreend-iron from the wood please send me more photos.

Mine has Serial number 2566.... also, it has pretty much the same iron sights.

I can ask my gunsmith, what's the price for a complete new forend.

But for this, you had to send your gun around the world....

HWL

Interesting scope mount. I would guess it was added later and dates from the age of the scope (1960's?) when rail mounts became more common.

You are right,.... the first pivot mounts appeared in the late 60's, as well as the Zeiss 1,5-6x36 Diavari.

HWL

Looking at the cocking leavers on the second photo I would guess it had Deeley ejectors. It would be one hell of a project to build them from scratch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CherieBatt

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia