Fired up the casting furnace today

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
I realized I was down to just balls for my 8-bore, so I fired up the casting furnace. In the past I've used Lyman #2 lead alloy for my bullets, but I decided to give my cheap/free scrap lead a try this time. Strangely the bullets came out slightly smaller than the other alloy but slightly heavier. The difference isn't much and shouldn't make a big difference in performance.

Here is a fresh batch of twenty 85 caliber 1200gr bullets ready to load up:

IMG_20240729_003816163.jpg

IMG_20240729_003846226.jpg

Look nice. Bet they pack a whallop.
Bruce

Matt, are you pan-lubing those?
I melt a can of two parts bees wax and one part tallow in the oven. Then I dip the bullets base first a couple times until the grooves are filled. Lastly I run them through a sizing die while the lube is still soft.

Slow motion footage of the terminal impact would be something to behold.
Probably not as exciting as you would think. The muzzle velocity of these critters is low! I clocked an average of 1300fps with my regulating load. Granted that's still 4500 ft/lb of energy so it will certainly get the job done.

I do have a slow motion video of one of these being fired with a heavy charge of black powder.

For me, it’s exciting! There’s something about very large chunks of lead that stir up vicarious living through dusty old pages. Thank you.

Black powder really is underestimated in today’s age. It’s still alive and well, but sometimes underestimated.

For me, it’s exciting! There’s something about very large chunks of lead that stir up vicarious living through dusty old pages. Thank you.

Black powder really is underestimated in today’s age. It’s still alive and well, but sometimes underestimated.
I meant a slow-motion video of one of these hitting a gel block would be boring, shooting the gun is definitely NOT boring! On gel and in animals, these simply blow clean through, making a hole the diameter of the bullet. In terms of terminal performance, the old 8-bore simply does not compare to modern guns using modern ammunition.

If you ever find yourself in my neck of the woods, you are welcome to shoot this rifle. I can easily load up some black powder cartridges to give you the original experience as it was when the gun was made 128 years ago. I use either 270gr of Schuetzen FFg black powder or 67gr of Alliant Blue Dot.

I understood what you meant and appreciate the offer as well.

This season will “settle” for a .58 percussion cap (acquired for a song) as I keep an eye out for a suitably larger piece. Your meteor shower there is to be admired in the meantime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdfngm

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]