AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
USA and RSA
Well less than two weeks out now from our first trip over. I think I have everything packed. Planning for Limpopo in mid June as far as clothing goes. Thanks to everyone on here for item suggestions to take along. Family of 4 flying and we have everything packed on two carryons and each person has a backpack for the plane. No rifles going with. We opted to rent rifles from the outfitter. There was a $4000+ savings flying British Airways vs Delta and with the stories of issues flying guns with BA we opted to go the rental route. Just finished spraying down the clothing with permethrin. Below is my final packing list. Planned on grabbing sunscreen and bug repellent In Johannesburg. What am I missing?

Carry on luggage:
Two pairs Attack pants
Two T shirts
Shorts
2 pairs underwear
2 pairs socks
Salawa hiking boots
Rain jacket
Puffy jacket
Watch cap
Fleece gloves
Mechanics gloves
UV neck gaiter
Leg gaiters
Flashlight
Toiletries
Allergy meds
Antibiotics
Binoculars
Rangefinder
Lens cloth

Backpack:
Fleece sweater
Two battery packs
Charging cords
South Africa outlet converter
Camera
Garmin inreach
Sunglasses case
First aid kit (normal hunting kit)
Journal with pen
Book
Snacks
Headphones
Water bottle
Headlamp
Passports with copies for everyone
Kids birth certificates
Cash
Copy of hunt contract
Letter of invitation to hunt

Wear on the plane:
T shirt
Ball cap
Attack pants
Socks
Underwear
Belt
Salawa approach shoes
Wallet
Sunglasses
Phone

Good call on underwear on the plane. I always seem to forget that on my list. :).

I’m not sure if this is included in toiletries, but make sure to bring some Carmex or Chapstick.

Have a great trip!

Last edited:
Good call on underwear on the plane. I always seem to forget that on my list. :).

I’m not sure if this is included in toiletries, but make sure to bring some Carmex or Chapstick.

Have a great trip!
Gotta make sure I don’t forget that third pair you know.

Great!

Are you hunting in the same boots you are wearing in the plane?

EDIT- NM I just saw your hunting boots!

Chapstick! As odd as it might sound that has become one of the most important items on a hunt for me. I think you got everything else. If you want to travel lighter might check with outfitter and weather forecast if a rain jacket is necessary in June.

Membership to Global Rescue, Redpoint, Allianz Global, etc. Other than that, all looks good for a first trip. On the chapstick, I take the sunscreen type. Reputable outfitters will have first aid needs, plug converters, daily laundry and bottled water/drinks.
For your second trip, like most of us, you'll whittle it down considerably.
e-laugh.gif

Last edited:
Well less than two weeks out now from our first trip over. I think I have everything packed. Planning for Limpopo in mid June as far as clothing goes. Thanks to everyone on here for item suggestions to take along. Family of 4 flying and we have everything packed on two carryons and each person has a backpack for the plane. No rifles going with. We opted to rent rifles from the outfitter. There was a $4000+ savings flying British Airways vs Delta and with the stories of issues flying guns with BA we opted to go the rental route. Just finished spraying down the clothing with permethrin. Below is my final packing list. Planned on grabbing sunscreen and bug repellent In Johannesburg. What am I missing?

Carry on luggage:
Two pairs Attack pants
Two T shirts
Shorts
2 pairs underwear
2 pairs socks
Salawa hiking boots
Rain jacket
Puffy jacket
Watch cap
Fleece gloves
Mechanics gloves
UV neck gaiter
Leg gaiters
Flashlight
Toiletries
Allergy meds
Antibiotics
Binoculars
Rangefinder
Lens cloth

Backpack:
Fleece sweater
Two battery packs
Charging cords
Camera
Garmin inreach
Sunglasses case
Journal with pen
Book
Snacks
Headphones
Water bottle
Headlamp
Kids birth certificates
Cash
Copy of hunt contract

Wear on the plane:
T shirt
Ball cap
Attack pants
Socks
Underwear
Belt
Salawa approach shoes
Wallet
Sunglasses
Phone
The very best packing list I use is from my good friend @Philip Glass He has an excellent video on our site

RSA in August reminded me of low elevation Arizona in early November, so I imagine June will be like a dry December. Terrain reminds me of the SE corner of the state or SW New Mexico. It’s scrubby like chaparral, spines aren’t anything comparable to cholla or prickly pear. May take a leatherman (if not prohibited on flight checked luggage)

RSA in August reminded me of low elevation Arizona in early November, so I imagine June will be like a dry December. Terrain reminds me of the SE corner of the state or SW New Mexico. It’s scrubby like chaparral, spines aren’t anything comparable to cholla or prickly pear. May take a leatherman (if not prohibited on flight checked luggage)
I live in SE Arizona. I’ll be curious to see how the weather and terrain compare to our desert grasslands and chaparral and oak/juniper/pinyon woodlands.

Carry on luggage:
Two pairs Attack pants
Two T shirts
Shorts
2 pairs underwear
2 pairs socks
Salawa hiking boots
Rain jacket
Puffy jacket
Watch cap
Fleece gloves
Mechanics gloves
UV neck gaiter
Leg gaiters
Flashlight
Toiletries
Allergy meds
Antibiotics
Binoculars
Rangefinder
Lens cloth

Backpack:
Fleece sweater
Two battery packs
Charging cords
Camera
Garmin inreach
Sunglasses case
Journal with pen
Book
Snacks
Headphones
Water bottle
Headlamp
Kids birth certificates
Cash
Copy of hunt contract

Wear on the plane:
T shirt
Ball cap
Attack pants
Socks
Underwear
Belt
Salawa approach shoes
Wallet
Sunglasses
Phone
For the plane wear one set of hunting clothes (not necessarily camo) and comfy hiking boots. Second pair of hiking boots in checked baggage. Second pair of hunting pants and shirt in carryon with underwear and socks. Forget about inreach. Something to get lost or stolen. Unnecessary. I would discard puffy jacket for good fleece jacket. Add a fleece vest in carryon. You won't need the headlamp or flashlight. Outfitter will have that covered. They rarely if ever let clients walk around in the dark, mostly because of treacherous ground (when you see a porcupine or aardvark hole suddenly appear underfoot in broad daylight, you'll understand what I mean). Forget the water bottle. Lodge owner will have that covered. Unnecessary baggage. Same with first aid kit. You will not need mechanics gloves because they will not let you do anything (liability concerns). Forget the shorts. It's winter there. Personally, I hate T-shirts and they don't look very cool in trophy photos. I wouldn't bother with rangefinder. Let the PH handle that. Travel light in the bush. Doxycycline is the antibiotic you'll want for potential tick bite fever. Add bug dope to your list. I would prefer buckskin gloves to fleece. Staff will love to have them for tip when you leave.

Last edited:
Yes, for winter hunting you'll be better served wearing a long sleeve shirt rather than t-shirt. It will be cool, especially in the morning. I had to chuckle when I first contacted my PH for my first safari. "You understand it can be cold here with frost some mornings. You okay with that?" I have hunted in -25 C and it not infrequently the temp drops to -50 here in town. Yeah, I can handle frosty mornings. :D

Yes, for winter hunting you'll be better served wearing a long sleeve shirt rather than t-shirt. It will be cool, especially in the morning. I had to chuckle when I first contacted my PH for my first safari. "You understand it can be cold here with frost some mornings. You okay with that?" I have hunted in -25 C and it not infrequently the temp drops to -50 here in town. Yeah, I can handle frosty mornings. :D
South Africa is a big place. I’ve hunted near Kruger in June and it was 90 degrees every day then hunted closer to Johannesburg a few days later where the highs didn’t reach 60 and near freezing in morning. Where you hunted isn’t reflective of everywhere in June. Luckily local weather forecasts are easy to look up.

Flashlight or a headlamp is nice for walking back to your hut after dinner and bsing in the lodge at night along with walking to breakfast in the morning.

II used a headlamp at my first lodge and wished that I had one at my second. The first had very little outside lights near my hut, and while the last one had lights along the path a little more light would of been nice.

South Africa is a big place. I’ve hunted near Kruger in June and it was 90 degrees every day then hunted closer to Johannesburg a few days later where the highs didn’t reach 60 and near freezing in morning. Where you hunted isn’t reflective of everywhere in June. Luckily local weather forecasts are easy to look up.
I generally hunt the mountains of Eastern Cape but have also hunted north of Kimberly and the Kalahari. I have found layered fleece is sufficient for cold mornings (jacket and vest).
20210824_102410.jpg

Vest and jacket
20220821_105644.jpg

Vest only.
20220823_160404.jpg

Shirtsleeves.

And if it gets real nasty I can pull the rain gear over the vest and jacket.
Pat in Alaska 2017.JPG

Puffy duds get too sweaty for stalking. Okay for sitting on the butt all day in a blind.

Flashlight or a headlamp is nice for walking back to your hut after dinner and bsing in the lodge at night along with walking to breakfast in the morning.

II used a headlamp at my first lodge and wished that I had one at my second. The first had very little outside lights near my hut, and while the last one had lights along the path a little more light would of been nice.
The flashlight feature on my phone provides enough Iight to find my way around camp. Phone has also pretty much replaced packing a camera.

I live in SE Arizona. I’ll be curious to see how the weather and terrain compare to our desert grasslands and chaparral and oak/juniper/pinyon woodlands.
As someone who has hunted whitetails, mulies an javelina in SE Arizona over the last 4 winters, but have not yet been to RSA, I often wonder how the 2 terrains will compare. I image the weather in RSA now will be very similar to what I've experienced during Arizona winters. I'd love to hear about this upon your return. Best of luck on your trip!

A comparison between Arizona and parts of South Africa is a fairly good example. I also hunt javelina down north of the Tucson area almost every year during the HAM's hunt in early February.

What I have found in the area north of Port Elizabeth is that a light jacket is nice in the mornings where in Arizona where I hunt a heaver one is better. But the terrain is going to be totally different depending on where you hunt.

On my first safari I told my PH that if I didn't know that I was in South Africa I would say that I was hunting elk in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains.

Comparison to Arizona is spot on. Look at the right edge of this photo and you'll see a large prickly pear plant ... whose ancestor actually came from arid North America!
20220826_110112.jpg

The stuff was brought to South Africa for Boers to use as fencing and emergency fodder for livestock. Prickly pear cactus went nuts in South Africa and nearly took over until a parasitic moth was introduced. It's still everywhere but according to what I've read the reduction since moth introduction in 1950s is about seventy percent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yuvbfsgf365

Latest profile posts

Shaker Crew | Kids Sweatshirt
https://www.braveactiveco.com/products/knit-sweatshirt
Comfortable and premium quality Knit Sweatshirt. Our Knit Sweatshirt is crafted with our exquisite recycled fabric, ensuring a soft and lightweight feel.
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia