AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
South Africa, Mozambique, B.C. Canada, Alaska, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Oregon, California, Texas, Oklahoma.
I plan on taking two rifles for our 2026 10 day Cape Buffalo hunt with Derian Koekemoer Safaris. I have my designated buffalo rifle, a CZ 550 416 Rigby sighted in with factory Barnes 400 grain TSX (1 inch groups or a slightly less, excellent accuracy) mounted with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 on Warne QD mounts. I’m really enjoying handling and shooting this 416 Rigby btw! It’s the perfect size and weight (10.6 lbs total) for me.

I really need to handload for the 416 Rigby so I don’t burn up all my factory ammo! I’m limiting myself to 3 rounds a session until I acquire more ammo. I think a good 1.5-6 scope is a better choice but I already had the Zeiss and can use irons in a pinch. Go figure, there is currently a nice used 1 inch Zeiss Diavari 1.5-6 X42mm recently serviced by Zeiss on GB for $499.99 if anyone’s looking! Great deal but I’ve spent enough for now!

In addition to a Cape Buffalo bull, I’m considering a Cape buffalo cow, giraffe, warthog, bush pig, Impala and baboon. Perhaps, crocodile too. Of course my CZ 416 Rigby can do it all and would keep it simple as a one rifle safari but I desire to bring a second rifle.

I’m considering the following as my second rifle and am interested in forum members feedback as to what second rifle to bring between 375 RUM or 9.3x62?

I have a Remington 700 Custom Shop North American 375 RUM with a Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 using 235 Barnes TSX handloaded to 3100 FPS that I get less than 1 inch groups, very accurate. Have used this setup and ammo to kill elk, bison and large wild boar. I also have factory 300 grain Swift A Frame and 270 grain Barnes LRX.

Next up is a CZ 550 American Kevlar 9.3x62 mounted with a Leupold 2.5-8x36. I have factory 250 grain Nosler Accubonds, 286 grain Hornady SP and 285 grain PPU that all average about 1 1/2 inch groups, a little more than I prefer but acceptable. I’ve killed several wild pigs and deer with this setup. Interesting that my 416 Rigby and 375 RUM are more accurate? I think I should try Barnes 250 grain TSX. Barnes seems to be very accurate for me in a variety of calibers.

I would perhaps use the second rifle for giraffe, warthog, bushpig, baboon and crocodile. If crocodile, I may prefer the more accurate 375 RUM. Both the 375 RUM and 9.3x62 would be fine for the cow buffalo, but the entire purpose of acquiring the 416 Rigby was for buffalo! Anyhow, always interested in forum members perspective.

CZ 416 Rigby & Remington 375 RUM?
or
CZ 416 Rigby & CZ 9.3x62?

Thanks,

Brendon J

PS- Tempted to call Derian and book Cape buffalo cow hunt in 4-5 months 2024 but have yet to convince wife! I told her it would just be a preliminary hunt in preparation for the 2026 buffalo hunt with brother and nephew, but haven’t sold her on it yet! She says I’m being selfish and I can’t really disagree! :LOL:

Photo’s of CZ 9.3x62 with CZ 416 Rigby. Remington 375 RUM.

IMG_1458.jpeg
IMG_1284.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I to think a CZ tour would be a good way to go, that 9.3X62 is very nice rifle .

I do wish they didn't bend those bolt handles on the CZ550 !!

I would take the 9.3x62 and 416 Rigby.

I would also build a 404 Jeffery off the 375 rum.
That’s an interesting idea but I think I’d prefer a 404 Jeffery in a CRF action like a CZ 550 instead of a Remington 700 action. If I had a 404 Jeffery then I wouldn’t need a 416 Rigby! But “need” stopped being relevant a long time ago! :LOL:

That’s an interesting idea but I think I’d prefer a 404 Jeffery in a CRF action like a CZ 550 instead of a Remington 700 action. If I had a 404 Jeffery then I wouldn’t need a 416 Rigby! But “need” stopped being relevant a long time ago! :LOL:

You need both a 416 rigby and a 404 jeffery.....dont ask me how I know... but I do.....;):A Thumbs Up:

If you bring the RUM, then leave the .416 at home and save yourself a lot of weight in the gun case and ammo box that doesn't have to be schlepped around the airports. Otherwise, take the 9.3 with the .416 - or perhaps better yet, as @spike.t suggests a .300 of some persuasion.

If you bring the RUM, then leave the .416 at home and save yourself a lot of weight in the gun case and ammo box that doesn't have to be schlepped around the airports. Otherwise, take the 9.3 with the .416 - or perhaps better yet, as @spike.t suggests a .300 of some persuasion.
Oh, no, a Cape Buffalo requires a 40 caliber 400 grain bullet as a minimum! The 375 RUM will be relegated for Impala and baboon! I don’t want to piss off a buffalo with a pea shooter!

I’m kidding, lol. I could have saved some money by just taking my 375 RUM! But, I just had to have a 416 Rigby, read too many books I guess! Actually on our first Safari to Africa in 1997, I did bring 416 Rem Mag and 300 Win Mag, great combo!

Actually what I think would be really cool, shoot 3 buffalo, one each with 416 Rigby, 375 RUM and 9.3x62! Ah, but the practicality, and cost, but that would be fun! If I could make that happen, I would!

Seems the consensus is 416 Rigby and 9.3x62! Two quintessential African calibers! Of course the 375 H&H, but I don’t have one “yet.”

I plan on taking two rifles for our 2026 10 day Cape Buffalo hunt with Derian Koekemoer Safaris. I have my designated buffalo rifle, a CZ 550 416 Rigby sighted in with factory Barnes 400 grain TSX (1 inch groups or a slightly less, excellent accuracy) mounted with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 on Warne QD mounts. I’m really enjoying handling and shooting this 416 Rigby btw! It’s the perfect size and weight (10.6 lbs total) for me.

I really need to handload for the 416 Rigby so I don’t burn up all my factory ammo! I’m limiting myself to 3 rounds a session until I acquire more ammo. I think a good 1.5-6 scope is a better choice but I already had the Zeiss and can use irons in a pinch. Go figure, there is currently a nice used 1 inch Zeiss Diavari 1.5-6 X42mm recently serviced by Zeiss on GB for $499.99 if anyone’s looking! Great deal but I’ve spent enough for now!

In addition to a Cape Buffalo bull, I’m considering a Cape buffalo cow, giraffe, warthog, bush pig, Impala and baboon. Perhaps, crocodile too. Of course my CZ 416 Rigby can do it all and would keep it simple as a one rifle safari but I desire to bring a second rifle.

I’m considering the following as my second rifle and am interested in forum members feedback as to what second rifle to bring between 375 RUM or 9.3x62?

I have a Remington 700 Custom Shop North American 375 RUM with a Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 using 235 Barnes TSX handloaded to 3100 FPS that I get less than 1 inch groups, very accurate. Have used this setup and ammo to kill elk, bison and large wild boar. I also have factory 300 grain Swift A Frame and 270 grain Barnes LRX.

Next up is a CZ 550 American Kevlar 9.3x62 mounted with a Leupold 2.5-8x36. I have factory 250 grain Nosler Accubonds, 286 grain Hornady SP and 285 grain PPU that all average about 1 1/2 inch groups, a little more than I prefer but acceptable. I’ve killed several wild pigs and deer with this setup. Interesting that my 416 Rigby and 375 RUM are more accurate? I think I should try Barnes 250 grain TSX. Barnes seems to be very accurate for me in a variety of calibers.

I would perhaps use the second rifle for giraffe, warthog, bushpig, baboon and crocodile. If crocodile, I may prefer the more accurate 375 RUM. Both the 375 RUM and 9.3x62 would be fine for the cow buffalo, but the entire purpose of acquiring the 416 Rigby was for buffalo! Anyhow, always interested in forum members perspective.

CZ 416 Rigby & Remington 375 RUM?
or
CZ 416 Rigby & CZ 9.3x62?

Thanks,

Brendon J

PS- Tempted to call Derian and book Cape buffalo cow hunt in 4-5 months 2024 but have yet to convince wife! I told her it would just be a preliminary hunt in preparation for the 2026 buffalo hunt with brother and nephew, but haven’t sold her on it yet! She says I’m being selfish and I can’t really disagree! :LOL:

Photo’s of CZ 9.3x62 with CZ 416 Rigby. Remington 375 RUM.

View attachment 593185View attachment 593186
Guys you must learn if you want peace in your hunting life you must spoil your women. Jewelery, outfits, bags, etc etc. Too easy.

I would think hunting giraffe might require something special with considerable long range potential yet hard hitting. It is not easy getting close to those walking watchtowers and, as I understand it, hunting them almost exclusively involves head shots. 300 Win mag might be the ticket?

Last edited:
Your choices did not include a double rifle, and if it is an authentic African Buffalo hunt you want, then a double there must be. A 450/400 is just right for that.
And the second?
A scoped 375 H&H, especially since you want a croc too.

Your choices did not include a double rifle, and if it is an authentic African Buffalo hunt you want, then a double there must be. A 450/400 is just right for that.
And the second?
A scoped 375 H&H, especially since you want a croc too.
Ah, but a fine double, for me “fine” would be a Chapuis, Merkel or Krieghoff no Holland & Holland, I simply couldn’t will myself to pay the tariff for an H&H and subsequent divorce!! Yes, a Chapuis is within my grasp, but do I want to sit in my den, fondling my precious double instead of putting a stalk on a buffalo or other such beast? Alas, it is one or the other for me! I must choose the hunt!

But should my status change, I assure you I would re read “Hunter” and traipse across the African continent with my trustee Westley Richards .465 NE double and best quality scoped Rigby 375 H&H bolt action!

I would think hunting giraffe might require something special with considerable long range potential yet hard hitting. It is not easy getting close to those walking watchtowers and, as I understand it, hunting them almost exclusively involves head shots. 300 Win mag might be the ticket?
Oh no, I dislike head shots! A head shot animal is a grotesque sight, not to mention a slight miscalculation and it’s missing its jaw. A charging animal, different story, which I don’t envision a giraffe doing! If I cannot stalk to within a reasonable distance and place a precise shot into its vitals, then it deserves to live!

As I’ve said many times a 300 Win Mag and 458 Lott will cover everything and allow for redundancy. Perfect R8 configuration.

HH

Oh no, I dislike head shots! A head shot animal is a grotesque sight, not to mention a slight miscalculation and it’s missing its jaw. A charging animal, different story, which I don’t envision a giraffe doing! If I cannot stalk to within a reasonable distance and place a precise shot into its vitals, then it deserves to live!
You're talking about a very big head! And boiler room vitals the size of a boxcar ... literally. There's a reason elephants are preferably shot in the head. Heart and lungs are too big. You won't be saving the skull for a euro mount and lots of hide on the head for taxidermist to patch up. With that long neck it is unlikely a head shot would have an exit anyway as all the impact energy is absorbed in whiplash.

It's my understanding most outfitters prefer giraffe be dropped near a road so heavy equipment can be used to remove the quarters. They will want it dropped on the spot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SharonCook

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?