Ever thought about using graphite? Food for thought, read below

What a sobering article. I was always under the impression graphite was a great lubricator. Had no idea it is so corrosive.
 
Amen Brother, That is why lock shops sell it as it takes out locks. Like I tell my friends, if graphite is such a great lube why do they put it in brake shoes?

molybdenum disulphide is the stuff. Research Sandstrom 28A and read about that. I use it on many things.
 
Graphite is often used during the manufacture of smokeless powder to aid flow characteristics and keep it from clumping. Certainly was used in the old IMR powders. I wonder if that graphite coated powder could cause a problem in ammunition stored for a few years? Some newer powders such as the Hodgdon's Extreme line are greenish rather than graphite colour. Perhaps a different formulation? Wonder if that matters?
 
Very common in old powder cans for rust to come out with the powder. Have not seen the green stuff.
 
One of my university professors, an Electrical Engineer tasked to teach me and others Electrical Engineering for non-Electrical Engineers was once a worker in the space program. Though not directly involved he remembered lengthy discussions about what to use as a lubricant in the extreme cold of space, and graphite was chosen. After the components came back and were disassembled the joints looked like they'd been grinding in sand. Without a gas present in the interstitial spaces between the particles graphite acts as an abrasive and it was literally back to the drawing board for that team.
 
That is why graphite is used in brake shoes on your car. In the absence of moisture graphite is a abrasive. This is why your brakes don't work well when your brakes get wet. You will also have a change in the same metal if it is a different number but it might take a number of years for it to show up.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,355
Messages
1,573,909
Members
169,872
Latest member
LanoraKidw
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top