Elk at 688 yards with a 243

Hell of a good shot and as stated in the video “a good clean kill”. It is also 1 mosquito fart away from being a wounded animal with no possibility of a follow up shot or recovering the animal.

I’m not a fan of long-distance hunting, but I accept there are some places where the closest shot is fairly far. Personal experience has shown me that a 243 is capable of more than many give it credit for when used properly. Properly means a proper deep-penetrating HUNTING bullet (not a target bullet) and waiting for an opportunity for essentially guaranteed proper shot placement. This shot was none of those. If you’ve got to shoot animals at long range, suck up the recoil and use an appropriate cartridge and bullet.

I can not find any ballistic charts for 243 energy that far out (wonder why that is - sarcasm) but I would guess about 500 ft lbs. not an ethical shot

With a Berger 105 VLD at 690 yards 3150fps gets you 977#s at 3250 you are 1054#s. Have read many people say Berger are not hunting bullets. My results have been the same as the video, it just shuts them down. With my 6XC, 6CM, or 243, hitting 4" plate at 800 yards is more than common.

How many videos (like this one) have been made that don't get shared with the public because they don't go according to plan & 'Best Case Scenario'?

Having seen people in general shoot...I would say just as many as up close. The reality is people need to be better prepared no matter the range.

So many factors...

Even an experienced shooter with range, temp, angle, and altitude, can misjudge the wind by 3mph and miss by 8".

Elk deserve better.

With a Berger 105 VLD at 690 yards 3150fps gets you 977#s at 3250 you are 1054#s. Have read many people say Berger are not hunting bullets. My results have been the same as the video, it just shuts them down. With my 6XC, 6CM, or 243, hitting 4" plate at 800 yards is more than common.
The hit in the video was clearly a CNS shot. Any bullet will do in that circumstance. Mighty small target at 600 yards in mountain wind on a target that has about 1/2 second to move between the time the trigger is pulled and the time the bullet hits.

You're an accomplished long range marksman. I guess the hunter in the video is too or maybe she just got lucky? I would think MOST average distance hunters like me would have blown the shot completely or worse yet, wound the animal slightly and never be able to get another shot. Although some do and have, I wouldn't hunt elk with a .243 when there are MANY more suitable cartridges available.

I think the only reason this video saw the light of day has to do with the fact he killed the elk. I wonder how many shots were fired on other videos that had a different result. As stated above, elk ( and damn near everything else) deserve better. Just my two cents.

Why do you suppose they make .300 magnums?
And even with that, 1/4 mile is plenty.
Or .338 WINCHESTER MAGNUMS! LOL I know sacrilege with this group, but if recoil is an issue, put a brake on it and your .300 WINCHESTER MAGNUM's recoil will FEEL like a .243. Just use earplugs. If not, use a .270 WINCHESTER or a .308 WINCHESTER?

We can’t tell exactly where the bullet hit but most would guess it’s a spine shot. What are the odds that is where she was aiming? At 700 yards from a bench I would shoot 7” on a good day (assuming there was no wind) so spine shot is out of the question. 2” lower and impact is most likely in the void with little damage or worst case just wounded enough to run off and die. Then there’s the minimum energy required for proper expansion and penetration. I’ve never hunted with a VLD so can’t say how they perform at low velocity

I think the only reason this video saw the light of day has to do with the fact he killed the elk. I wonder how many shots were fired on other videos that had a different result. As stated above, elk ( and damn near everything else) deserve better. Just my two cents.
+1.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meiyejiujie262

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?