Earplug training rounds... Anyone tried them?

njc110381

AH enthusiast
Joined
Dec 29, 2018
Messages
383
Reaction score
492
Location
Gloucestershire, UK
Media
1
A really strange question, but I recently watched a video of a chap who was loading and shooting earplug rounds to train for snap shooting at close range. It looked like a great idea. Basically you take a cylinder shaped earplug like a 3m classic, roll it as you would to put it in your ear and shove it into a primed case. They expand to fit pretty much any case size up to about .45.

Now this guy was using them in a handgun for safe quick draw training but they will work the same in a rifle. They'll pop a balloon at close range or penetrate paper but not do any real damage to anything else or fly very far. Drawing a live handgun could pose a risk but if you shot yourself with one of these by accident it would be no big deal. I was wondering if it could be adapted for dry firing practice in a DG rifle? Firing at something that would mark when hit, it would give a good idea of your point of impact and you could learn to be quite accurate whilst shooting in a garden or garage. The plugs apparently will tolerate several shots before wearing out so it's cheap too.

I want to try it with my .416! Has anyone else done it?
 
Never heard of this but I like the idea. Not sure if a primer would have enough power to expel it through a rifle and then any distance at all but I might try it.
 
I tried it in my .357 Winchester and it made it about 3/4 of the way up the barrel with a small pistol primer! Worst case it may need a grain or two of pistol powder to spice it up a bit.
 
Way back in the 60's, I shot a lot of wax bullets from my revolvers. I would melt a bunch of parafin in pie pans. Then lay the sheets of parafin on a board. I would punch primed cases thru the parafin, and shoot. Worked great in my basement. Just had to cleanup before I shot real bullets. Speer used to have plastic bullets for 38 and 44 caliber handguns. Rifle barrels are pretty long and would have a lot of friction for unlubed foam. Might work. Not going to know until you try.
Bfly
 
Way back in the 60's, I shot a lot of wax bullets from my revolvers. I would melt a bunch of parafin in pie pans. Then lay the sheets of parafin on a board. I would punch primed cases thru the parafin, and shoot. Worked great in my basement. Just had to cleanup before I shot real bullets. Speer used to have plastic bullets for 38 and 44 caliber handguns. Rifle barrels are pretty long and would have a lot of friction for unlubed foam. Might work. Not going to know until you try.
Bfly
I hadn't thought to rub a bit of bullet lube on them first. Maybe some lanolin or something? That would probably help quite a lot.
 
I have the Speer 38/357 cases and plastic bullets. They work off of a primer and hit pretty hard!
Never heard of using ear plugs. Interesting!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,274
Messages
1,571,270
Members
169,326
Latest member
DenisBraun
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
 
Top