Corey Mason moves on to Wild Sheep Foundation

dogcat1

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
DSC, NRA, WSF, B&C
Hunted
Ethiopia, South Africa, Namibia, Cameroon, CAR, Tanzania, Zambia, Uganda, Zimbabwe,
Good afternoon DSC Members, Volunteers, Exhibitor Partners and Sponsors,

I’m writing to share an important update about the evolution of our leadership team. Our CEO, Corey Mason, will be transitioning to a new professional opportunity. Corey has been a pivotal force in driving numerous successful national and international initiatives and strengthening our organization. While we will certainly miss his leadership, we fully support his decision and recognize that this move is a testament to the high regard in which he is held within the world of wildlife conservation. We wish him nothing but the best and are deeply grateful for all he has done for DSC.

In light of this transition, our Board of Directors will immediately engage in the search for a new CEO who will continue to build on the strong foundation Corey has laid. During this time, our dedicated executive team will maintain focused and steady leadership, while continuing to advance the DSC mission. Brian Fienhold, DSC’s Director of Operations and Development, will serve as Acting CEO during the search process.

We are eagerly anticipating our upcoming annual convention in Atlanta, which promises to be another incredible hunting and conservation gathering for all. We look forward to seeing you there and thank you for your continued support and dedication to DSC.

Ray Mulholland
DSC President

Do you write headlines for BBC?

What a title choice

Or will you be adding more details you have about him being “fired” ?
lol!!! As a senior business executive it is rare for a CEO to be fired…they have “chosen” to move to a new opportunity

lol!!! As a senior business executive it is rare for a CEO to be fired…they have “chosen” to move to a new opportunity
Haha very true - I get that and I know it’s PR written all over - thanks for your insight. Not only senior but executive (ohhhh) insight! :Yawn:

Poster had nothing to add and my comment still stands

- let’s see where he ends up. As it sounds like he already has something lined up.

I’ve privately heard a different version of events that reflects considerably better on Corey Mason. I think you might have your story backwards.

Good to hear!

And this is why I made my first comment.

Assumption make a you know what out of everyone

As the world turns..... what you see is "PR speak" for his services were no longer needed. Odd time to release someone, just before the new venue in Atlanta and a board that has lost a president and others earlier in the year....

Dchum - if you know more , please share it.....

Or to spend more time with the family

here does seem to be considerable turmoil within DSC of late. I hate to see it. It was a great organization and I am a life member of both DSC and SCI but it looks like with the move to Atlanta, the loss of the Weatherby Award affiliation to SCI and now their CEO leaving of his own volition or otherwise they seem to be in a bit of a tailspin. Never understood the move to Atlanta, I get the convention center issues but with SCI in Nashville I think they have the southeast covered, not to mention logistics problems for their volunteers. Oh well... now with SCI's move to San Antonio and the TTHA grabbing DSC's spot in Dallas it will be interesting to see how this plays out...
My comments from another post...

So he was fired or "will be transitioning to a new professional opportunity" of his own decision?

Guessing he had an ultimatum, either resign or be fired. Happened to my former boss.

Guessing he had an ultimatum, either resign or be fired. Happened to my former boss.
;););)How are you liking your new position as boss:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:@DillonG

Sorry couldn’t help it :X3:

Very strange thread. Trying to tell us something without telling us anything. Corporate mumbo jumbo.

Okey, so can any body explain any background story to these changes in DSC, apart from moving to Atlanta, only?

;););)How are you liking your new position as boss:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:@DillonG

Sorry couldn’t help it :X3:
That, my friend, is a long story that I won’t get into discussing. I can assure you that I did not take his place. I actually changed employers about 3 months after that incident. The wife was thrilled because she is now retired at the ripe old age of 30. I think I still have about 33 years to go for my own retirement.

Corey Mason Joins WSF as Executive Vice President of Conservation & COO

BOZEMAN, MT. July 12, 2024, The Wild Sheep Foundation (WSF) is pleased to announce that Corey Mason of Texas will join WSF as Executive Vice President of Conservation, effective August 12, 2024. In this capacity, Mason will lead WSF conservation efforts to conserve and enhance wild sheep and their habitat worldwide. He will also serve as Chief Operating Officer, supporting the foundation’s current and future programs and strategic initiatives.

“Corey has served the conservation and hunting community with distinction as CEO of Dallas Safari Club (DSC) for the past seven years and as a Regional Director, Program Leader, and biologist roles for the Texas Parks & Wildlife Department for sixteen years before leading DSC,” stated WSF President and CEO, Gray N. Thornton. “He is a Certified Wildlife Biologist®, and a recognized industry leader in promoting sustainable use, not only in North America but around the globe. Corey has worked extensively with state, federal, and international agencies and conservation industry NGOs. He brings talent, capacity, relationships, and additional leadership to the WSF staff – he is a blue chip hire, a franchise player, and a force multiplier to our team. I am thrilled, and we are honored to have him join WSF.”

Mason has a BS and MS in Wildlife Management and has served as an organizational lead for the International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN) and CITES Conference of Parties and Animals Committee meetings. He also serves on the Congressional Sportsmen’s Foundation Board and state advisory committees for bighorn sheep, mule deer, and whitetail deer and was a member of the National Hunting and Shooting Sports Conservation Council.

Corey will work closely with WSF Vice President of Conservation Kevin Hurley, a 50+ year wild sheep conservation leader and veteran who on July 1 transitioned to part-time with WSF as he nears retirement. As COO, Corey will work alongside WSF President & CEO Gray N. Thornton to expand current programs as well as help launch innovative WSF initiatives.

“I could not be more excited to join WSF’s incredible team. I have admired the organization’s focus on strategic initiatives and programs, and having worked in the conservation space for decades, I have seen that WSF’s leadership is widely recognized and respected and that the professionalism and efficiency of the staff are appreciated by members and partners worldwide,” Corey Mason stated. “I am eager to support the important mission of WSF and look forward to serving its members,” Mason added.

“As the world’s leading wild sheep conservation, advocacy, and hunting organization, WSF directed $9.2 Million to Grant in Aid, education and outreach programs, and our state, provincial, and tribal agency partners during our 2023-2024 fiscal year ending June 30. This is $1.7 Million more than the $7.5 Million we directed in fiscal year 2022-23 for an incredible $16.7 Million to mission programs in just two years. Adding Corey Mason to our team will help ensure that those dollars make an impact on the resource, and with our agency and chapter and affiliate partners, Put and Keep more Wild Sheep on the Mountain,” Thornton concluded.

Corey Mason Joins WSF as Executive Vice President of Conservation & COO

BOZEMAN, MT. July 12, 2024, The Wild Sheep Foundation (WSF) is pleased to announce that Corey Mason of Texas will join WSF as Executive Vice President of Conservation, effective August 12, 2024. In this capacity, Mason will lead WSF conservation efforts to conserve and enhance wild sheep and their habitat worldwide. He will also serve as Chief Operating Officer, supporting the foundation’s current and future programs and strategic initiatives.

“Corey has served the conservation and hunting community with distinction as CEO of Dallas Safari Club (DSC) for the past seven years and as a Regional Director, Program Leader, and biologist roles for the Texas Parks & Wildlife Department for sixteen years before leading DSC,” stated WSF President and CEO, Gray N. Thornton. “He is a Certified Wildlife Biologist®, and a recognized industry leader in promoting sustainable use, not only in North America but around the globe. Corey has worked extensively with state, federal, and international agencies and conservation industry NGOs. He brings talent, capacity, relationships, and additional leadership to the WSF staff – he is a blue chip hire, a franchise player, and a force multiplier to our team. I am thrilled, and we are honored to have him join WSF.”

Mason has a BS and MS in Wildlife Management and has served as an organizational lead for the International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN) and CITES Conference of Parties and Animals Committee meetings. He also serves on the Congressional Sportsmen’s Foundation Board and state advisory committees for bighorn sheep, mule deer, and whitetail deer and was a member of the National Hunting and Shooting Sports Conservation Council.

Corey will work closely with WSF Vice President of Conservation Kevin Hurley, a 50+ year wild sheep conservation leader and veteran who on July 1 transitioned to part-time with WSF as he nears retirement. As COO, Corey will work alongside WSF President & CEO Gray N. Thornton to expand current programs as well as help launch innovative WSF initiatives.

“I could not be more excited to join WSF’s incredible team. I have admired the organization’s focus on strategic initiatives and programs, and having worked in the conservation space for decades, I have seen that WSF’s leadership is widely recognized and respected and that the professionalism and efficiency of the staff are appreciated by members and partners worldwide,” Corey Mason stated. “I am eager to support the important mission of WSF and look forward to serving its members,” Mason added.

“As the world’s leading wild sheep conservation, advocacy, and hunting organization, WSF directed $9.2 Million to Grant in Aid, education and outreach programs, and our state, provincial, and tribal agency partners during our 2023-2024 fiscal year ending June 30. This is $1.7 Million more than the $7.5 Million we directed in fiscal year 2022-23 for an incredible $16.7 Million to mission programs in just two years. Adding Corey Mason to our team will help ensure that those dollars make an impact on the resource, and with our agency and chapter and affiliate partners, Put and Keep more Wild Sheep on the Mountain,” Thornton concluded.
Hey kudos to him. I’m curious to see the efforts of WSF and the impact on sheep populations in NA within the next 5ish years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeresaArgu

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Christensen MPP 308 w/o brace
CZ 1012 12 ga
Tokarev TBP 12ga Bull Pup
Stoeger M3000 12ga
Springfield Prodogy 9mm
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Hello Wesley, on your M70 .416 do you only want cash or are you interested in trades?