Driving In Namibia

Bearbait1

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Would it be feasible or smart for a first time Africa hunter to rent a car to travel in Namibia? I’ve driven in lots of developed and undeveloped areas around the world. What do you think?

Undeveloped, with crazy people driving and animals on all the roads including critters that will flatten your vehicle undeveloped? (or Wyoming gravel.)

I've been there twice and the drive to and from the place I hunted was 4 hours from Windhoek, near Outjo. While my hosts drove I would say I could do it myself no problem. Most was paved, traffic was light for the most part. The dirt roads from Outjo to the farm were in pretty good shape for dirt. They had a campsite tourists rented on the farm that was used by a South African couple once while I was there. They seemed only slightly shaken, not stirred too much by the dirt roads. No worse than some of the two lane paved and dirt roads I grew up driving around southern Arizona. Or for that matter what I drove in the Cape of South Africa with a little VW Polo in 2018.
I wouldn't suggest driving at night. My hosts never did, too many near misses with kudu and warthogs crossing the roads. Don't rent the smallest car you can, mid size car or light truck is far more advisable for better clearance and suspension on some roads.

Last edited:
Watch out for duiker! First time I went there we got a late start for Eden camp and got there after dark. Several times we ran over critters, Jamy would just say "duiker!"

I did a self drive after my first hunt on my first trip to Namibia. The roads are quiet and clear, the gravel roads are better than some tarmac roads in the UK.
I would definitely recommend a truck, do not get a regular car.
I enjoyed every moment driving, had absolutely no issues, not even a puncture in 2500km.
Do it, enjoy it. Try not to drive at night or dawn or dusk as there are many animals on the road or waiting to jump out.

Do not drive Friday night on Africa Day weekend. I have driven there several times with no probs, but the number of plastered drivers about holidays can be impressive.......FWB

I’ve been to Namibia a few times. Although I personally haven’t driven there I would have no hesitation in doing so.
As has previously been noted the main roads are tarred and in good condition. The gravel roads are in varying condition. Adjusting your speed to current road conditions is a no brainer anywhere in the world.
Do NOT travel at night ! Too many animals both large and small graze the sides of the road. You really wouldn’t want to share the passenger compartment with a Kudu.
Do not travel on pay day ! Or if you have to early in the day before the lunatics get on the road. Some car hire firms will get pretty testy if you ford a stream or river. The vehicles are all fitted with trackers so they can either follow or download your progress.
In Namibia as in South Africa they drive on the (to me) correct side of the road, the left hand side. It takes a little getting used to but after a few miles it’s second nature.

Be extremely careful when driving on Namibia's gravel roads. Never exceed 40/h, don't travel at night, definitely don't go over 30 km/h during darkness. I have lost a couple of acquaintances, one hit at night a kudu bull, another one rolled when taking a bend too fast. If you are driving fast or stand on the break or take a bend too fast - a gravel road feels like being on ice, you have no control over your vehicle anymore.

I have been to Namibia a couple of times, but never driven myself. I wouldn't hesitate though to do so. I've know some Americans that rented a 4x4 SUV and drove from Windhoek to Etosha and back. Be sure to stock up on water, food,etc. Many of the roads are very wide, well maintained, gravel roads. Very dusty!

A couple years ago I found a well done video on Youtube about a group 4x4 driving tour of Namibia, Botswana and Zambia:
https://www.africahunting.com/threads/4x4-photo-safari-youtube-video-namibia-botswana-zambia.28351/

We drove as follows last year, September :
Cape Town to Etosha via the coastal route, through Etosha and back to CT down the center of zNsmibis.. Just short of 8000kms..driving Ford Ranger Wild track 4x4 and had NO hassles at all.
DO NOT DRIVE IN THE DARK... EVER!!!
PLAN the daily route for distance and fuel... I was driving the gravel roads at 80km/h and no problems.
Black top roads are very good.
Enjoy the trip...

My wife and I did a self drive of Namibia and Botswana in May of 2018, after I hunted in Namibia. We loved it! We had a company map out a route for us, and had planned accommodation every night - ranging from tents to lodges and a couple nicer hotels thrown into the mix too. We only drove during the day, and I brought a GPS along (used coordinates instead of address), and kept a cooler stocked in the back seat. Took a Toyota RAV-4, and had no problems, although if I were to do it again, would probably beef up the vehicle to a smaller truck or 4x4 of some kind. All in all, we did over 5000kms (3000 miles) and saw Namibia on our own terms, in our own time. Road conditions ranged from gravel with pot holes to smooth as silk tarmac, and everything in between. Just drive according to road conditions, and you will be fine. The lady who plotted the route for us made notes on the map telling us what conditions to expect, and how long it would take between destinations. All fuel stops and places to buy cold beer and ice were marked as well.
Now, Botswana on the other hand, pot hole city. We had to really take it easy once we left the Caprivi strip and headed down south to the Okavango delta. We got scammed by the Botswana Police as well, lots of "Radar Zones" (looked like a hairdryer to me), but we rolled with the punches, and took it as part of the adventure. T.I.A. - This Is Africa.
If you possess any sort of adventurous spirit, I highly recommend it!

If you are comfortable with their driving rules then by all means go for it! Namibia with it’s wide open spaces is the best place to drive if you had to. I’ve done it and with so little traffic its a breeze. You just need to be aware of being safe in the towns from petty theft.
Philip

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I dont know when my first trip will be but would enjoy doing some driving and just seeing the country.

Well I hope to experience Namibia this June but I will not be driving myself. I prefer to have the expertise of the locals behind the wheel.
A couple of years ago I had a visitor from South Africa in town and I offered to let him use my truck to get around town but he declined. Said her would prefer to have the locals do the driving. Not bad advice actually especially on a first visit.

If you do drive, never pass a fuel stop without topping up the tank, even if you don't think you need to.
Tyre repair places are very common because punctures are.
Keep a few Rand or Namibian dollars handy for the car guards. They will look after your vehicle if you park up in a town or go out for a meal at night. A bottle of drink and some food is also gratefully recieved.
When you see a bend approaching slow down. Obvious but many tourists wreck their cars and holidays on gravel road bends.
Don't stop near the baboons on the side of the road near towns and cities, they are bold and agressive.

Two things to take into consideration:

- Remember that Namibia drives on the left-hand side of the road and so does South Africa, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe and Mozambique. This may be an issue for some and if you have any concern I would recommend hiring an automatic car to make things easier.

- If you do not need a 4x4 truck, I would not recommend getting one unless you are familiar with driving them as I have seen many inexperience tourists rolling their trucks.

Last visit got lucky and tagged out with leopard, kudu, eland and waterbuck on day 6 of 14 day hunt. Returned to Windhoek and got a rental car for a 1 week road trip. Make sure you have a good GPS.i rejected 2 gps that malfunctioned, 3rd one would not hold a charge and barely found my wqy out of windhoek before it died. Got luck and found my destination. Never leave car unattended, never go below half tank, carry cash to buy fuel. Oh yea road rrip turned out awesome.

Sorry to resurrect and old thread but I am planning to drive from Windhoek to a camp near Otavi, about 40km off the B1.

The PH has suggested that I hire a polo of similar and that it isn’t worth the extra cost of a Hilux. My concern is that I remember golfs having notoriously low sumps about 20 years ago and I wondered what more experienced people thought? I have never visited Namibia before, although I understand the roads are fairly good.

Also, does anyone have a recommendation for Namibian road atlases?

I probably should add that I drive a Hilux at home and on stone tracks or off road most days so am fairly relaxed about the vehicle, although I realise how bad gravel can be. I would prefer to avoid the cost if the polo will do though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
js7880084

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?