Drillbit's Trophy Room Build

Drillbit

AH member
Joined
Jul 19, 2015
Messages
35
Reaction score
217
Media
35
Hello all. I've been a long time reader of Africahunting and learned so much. Thank you for the amazing stories and pictures. I went on my first safari in July of this year at Limcroma. Had a great time and took 8 animals between my son and myself. We've run out of room in our house and are building a stand alone addition that will be part trophy room and part man cave with pool table, shuffle board, and TV. The plans call for a 30x40' room. 14' Cathedral ceilings that peak out at about 21'. And the addition will have a closet and bathroom.

Prep for pouring the foundation:
G7z2Zmj.jpg
 

Attachments

  • G7z2Zmj.jpg
    G7z2Zmj.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 578
Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck with your new cave.
 
Look forward to seeing the finished product!
 
@Drillbit Looks like you are off to a great start. I just got done and moved into a house we built and I did a nice size man cave. Your 30x40 dimension will be great and good choice in ceiling height too. My room is 20x30 and of course I wish it was a bit bigger. One thing you might strongly consider is putting 3/4" plywood on all the walls, before sheet rocking. That way you can hang anything anywhere you want and not have to find a stud. BTW, it looks like you are framing with 2x6 and that's a good choice for a taller, free standing structure. Going with the plywood will also help contribute to making a very strong structure.
 
What are the provisions for heating and or air conditioning? Any thoughts about putting in facilities for a kitchenette? Being a retired engineer myself, I really liked 375 Ruger Fan's suggestion of lining the walls with 3/4" plywood. Laid horizontally with staggered joints would stiffen that structure immensely.
 
Yes 2x6 for framing. I'm putting on a tile roof so it needed extra support. And yes, adding 3/4" plywood on interior (idea I got off of this board). I'll have an HVAC unit above the closet with returns above the entry, so the interior space isn't compromised. Kitchenette - debated it but decided to pass and save money. Might put in some kind of liquor cabinet/butler's pantry type thing once completed.
 
Cool, looking forward to the finished product!
 
Man this will be fun to watch as you go along. Please keep pictures coming!
 
I really am looking forward to the remainder. I got as far as the slab poured for my mancave/trophy room before my divorce!
 
Definitely grunt worthy:

 
This is exciting! I have an acre, but at my age, I’m spending my funds on hunts. If I had the foresight to do this 20 years ago, it would have been a grand idea! Watching this closely!
Best
 
Making excellent progress! Notice you have a post tension foundation too, you and your contractor are doing it right.
 
very nice looking! I am envious!!
 
Looking forward to the rest of the build!!
 
That's pretty awesome!!! Cant wait till it is finished.
 
Electrical and HVAC in. Spray foam insulation followed the very next day with 3/4" plywood. They are moving fast! In the corners I added 45 degree angles to allow for additional mounts and minimizing wasted space.

MYb4Dxs.jpg
 

Attachments

  • MYb4Dxs.jpg
    MYb4Dxs.jpg
    877.4 KB · Views: 499

Forum statistics

Threads
70,439
Messages
1,576,343
Members
170,551
Latest member
RichBaird
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top