Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
In the fantasy world I like to escape to I see myself getting one...imagine the opportunity to get one of these in a quality rifle...which one is it? I know they are ballistically very close but which one grabs you and why?

450/400 in a nice double rifle just because I've always wanted a double rifle.

the 404 Jeffery and 450/400 NE 3" are completely different cartridges.

- 404 Jeffery: .423" 400gr bullet at around 2250fps from a rimless case.
- 450/400 NE 3": .410" 400gr bullet at around 2050fps from a rimmed case.

the 404 Jeffery is a more powerful bolt action rifle cartridge that operates at a higher pressure while the 450/400 NE 3" is a very low pressure slow moving cartridge meant to be fired from a double rifle. both cartridges work fine on large game but the 404 Jeffery is going to pack more of a punch. the 450/400 NE 3" is ideal for recoil sensitive shooters who want a double rifle suitable for large and dangerous game.

if i had to pick between the two, id pick the 404 Jeffery. ive owned a 450/400 NE 3" in the past and found it to be a little under powered for my liking.

-matt

Same dream,I'm on the hunt for a suitable action or a donor rifle for a 404

In the fantasy world I like to escape to I see myself getting one...imagine the opportunity to get one of these in a quality rifle...which one is it? I know they are ballistically very close but which one grabs you and why?
From what i have seen on this site so far , seems a lot of people have got the hots for the 404. In australia i havn't seen too many of them but they seem too be making a comeback elsewhere. As another option , what about a 425 WR , don't hear much about that one.

From what i have seen on this site so far , seems a lot of people have got the hots for the 404. In australia i havn't seen too many of them but they seem too be making a comeback elsewhere. As another option , what about a 425 WR , don't hear much about that one.

Redleg might be your go to for WR info. I did a quick search on the factory ammo and only found Kynock currently producing it. About $72.00 for five rounds. So you definitely would have to reload! Guns International has a fairly long list of WR rifles for sale. About half are more than 50K. This may be why you don't hear much about this caliber.

I have to vote for the .404 Jeffery. Just got back from putting a few rounds through mine. Shot at 50yds off sticks. 2 350gr cast bullets at low velocity, then a 350gr cast at 2300fps then the last two 400gr Woodleigh RN at 2300. 4 shots within 2". Very happy!!

Redleg might be your go to for WR info. I did a quick search on the factory ammo and only found Kynock currently producing it. About $72.00 for five rounds. So you definitely would have to reload! Guns International has a fairly long list of WR rifles for sale. About half are more than 50K. This may be why you don't hear much about this caliber.
Can anyone tell me how to make a reply without reproducing the original thread as well , i'm not over computer savy:Meh:

don't click quote
just scroll down to the box ,left click , and go for it .......
then left click on post reply ....

Yeah , not many can afford the real deal , so what my mates and i do is find a cartridge you like , gather a donor action , reamer,cases,dies etc, cart it all down the gunsmith get it back and have fun:D

450/400 in a nice double rifle just because I've always wanted a double rifle.

That was my thinking too! But the 404 gets more praise, cheaper and, as Matt85 says, has better balistics.

But then I saw a VC in 450/400 and, well, indecision ensued.

Do any of you think a Weatherby MKV in 338RUM would make a good donor, I have a Line on one that somebody skanked up?

Well now that dreams are free get both:cool: I just finished a 404 jeff project and horse traded a couple rifles for a Ruger #1 in 450/400. and would happily trade several more to get a nice VC double in 450/400. If you have no problem with REM actions, a shop here in town has a REM 700 in 8MM remington mag that you could rebarrel or have the barrel bored and rerifled. They are asking $695. Pm me if you are interested and I can give you their phone number. You can get a 404 into a standard length mauser action but as mentioned several times on AH it takes a good gunsmith and lots of work.

There are Commercial Magnum length Mauser actions available, I'm wondering if I'm better off just buying one of those,,I have no problem with Remington, but somewhere down the road, when age has taken it's toll I'll have to sell it and I think a CRF will be more attractive than a Push feed so a large game hunter, I'm still having fits for missing a FN magnum action that came up on GB

That was my thinking too! But the 404 gets more praise, cheaper and, as Matt85 says, has better balistics.

But then I saw a VC in 450/400 and, well, indecision ensued.

Pheroze,

Just get the VC in .450/.400 because, you know you won't be happy until you do.

The Devil on your shoulder,
Velo Dog.

Pheroze,

Just get the VC in .450/.400 because, you know you won't be happy until you do.

The Devil on your shoulder,
Velo Dog.

I agree and I am just horrible with temptation...but it is the same price as a safari, so it just hovers there out of reach even for someone as impulsive as me!

As has been mentioned. Ammo is more readily available for the 404. Probably due to the number of 404's available vs. 425's.

If memory serves me correct, Uganda was the only colony of the empire where the game department used the 425wr as its primary caliber. A large percentage of the rest used the 404j.

Again, if memory serves me there was an issue/fear of the clip falling out of the 425.

It is probably a great round. Just not near as popular as other middle calibers like the 404/416. You also probably need to be a reloader.

There are Commercial Magnum length Mauser actions available, I'm wondering if I'm better off just buying one of those,,I have no problem with Remington, but somewhere down the road, when age has taken it's toll I'll have to sell it and I think a CRF will be more attractive than a Push feed so a large game hunter, I'm still having fits for missing a FN magnum action that came up on GB

Agreed. When buying a large bore rifle for the purpose of converting it to a larger bore, I would only go with a CRF action. And with a Mauser magnum action, you can never go wrong, IMO!

Agreed. When buying a large bore rifle for the purpose of converting it to a larger bore, I would only go with a CRF action. And with a Mauser magnum action, you can never go wrong, IMO!
Your on the money,I'm thinking a Commercial action would be the way to go there about the same money as a complete gun and you don't have to pull the barrel just take it to a good GS, I have Ahlmans in Minnesota or one of the Smiths who contribute to this forum or send it to PacNor,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juan Arroyo

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on bobdahunter84's profile.