rbros

Gold supporter
AH member
Reaction score
Member of
Life Member SCI, MDF, NRA Life
Hunted
USA, Canada, Spain, South Africa
Spent a little time doubling checking the rifles this AM before we head out next week. Tried a technique from back in my 3 Gun competition days with the 375 H&H Improved. I wanted to make things easy to where it was a point and shoot. Zero'd it at 40 yds and it stays within the dot on my NX8 1-8 scope from 25yds out to 180 yds. The only place it isn't in the dot is at 10-20 yds, but I'm not concerned with it being a 3/4" low at that range. For reference, the dot in the reticle is .35 mil, which is roughly 1.3" at 100yds, 2.6" at 200yds. With how I have it setup at a 40 yd zero, my highest point is at .77" at 100yds and 1.24" low at 180yds from center. As you can see that stays within the dot. I also verified with targets at 40, 75, 100, 150, 200 yds. Now there will be a little difference in elevation (sea level) from here to Limpopo, but at these ranges it won't affect it much. Not that I plan on shooting a buffalo at long range (hopefully 50yds or less), but I did want to know where everything lined up just in case I used it for plains game, so I verified data out to 400 yds with it. I will be running 300gr Barnes TSX at 2726, which is a mild load, but the recoil is very tolerable, and it shoots under 1/4 moa. I also loaded up 10 Cutting Edge Safari Solids at the same speed. They hit at the exact same point of impact. The below target is 3 shots at 200 yds off a set of Gun Stix. It is the left group.
image1_1.jpeg

Next up was my 30-06 Ackley. I tweaked the load a little to bring the ES down and am happy where it is running. Prone on the ground it held under 1/4 moa out to 500 yds, which is as far as I have shot it with this load. Off the sticks it was under 1/2 moa to 300yds. I'm running Barnes 180 Barnes TSX at 3053. This was not the rifle I originally planned on bringing for the second rifle and definitely not a "proper" Africa rifle, but I just wasn't liking the other one. It didn't give me the confidence I wanted and I'm extremely familiar with this stock setup. The other rifle will have to wait until next year. This rifle shot 3 groups today while zeroing at 100yds and the largest measured .19" CTC. Below is the chronograph photo and the target (left group) at 200 from the Gun Stix. Notice the top "splash" is actually 2 shots.
image0_1.jpeg
image2.jpeg

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the accuracy. I've been dry fire along with live fire practicing off the shooting sticks for the last 3.5 months. Wish I would have had a set of quad sticks when I was still shooting precision rifle comps. They are like shooting off a bench! I shot my comp rifle off them last week at 950 and put the two shots within 3" of each other. Here are some ammo and rifle pics, because who doesn't like rifle pics! The brown/tan rifle with the suppressor is the 30-06 Ackley in the configuration I will be taking it in, and the green rifle is the 375 H&H Improved. I will say that I have prepared rifles more for this hunt than normal. Typically, I'm hunting mountains in the West and taking long shots which uses a different set of hardware. Counting down the days now!
image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image6.jpeg

Sounds like you’ve put in the work and are comfortable shooting. Happy hunting!

Btw, what action did you build the 375 off of?

Sounds like you’ve put in the work and are comfortable shooting. Happy hunting!

Btw, what action did you build the 375 off of?
Its one of my private labeled Defiance built CRF actions when they were still making them. My 416 is built on one as well.

Reactions: RLL
Its one of my private labeled Defiance built CRF actions when they were still making them. My 416 is built on one as well.
Nice. I wish I’d picked up one of those, had to go win m70 instead once they were discont…no complaints though.

rbros, there is no denying the fact that you really know how to build a rifle and then develop extremely accurate loads for it. Many of my rifles are good for one MOA, but that is a "joke" compared to what you are getting. Good luck on your upcoming hunt.

rbros, there is no denying the fact that you really know how to build a rifle and then develop extremely accurate loads for it. Many of my rifles are good for one MOA, but that is a "joke" compared to what you are getting. Good luck on your upcoming hunt.
Thank you sir!

I didnt know you could squeeze that sort of performance out of the 30-06 AI. \
Thats 300 WM territory. Very consistent loads, nice.

I didnt know you could squeeze that sort of performance out of the 30-06 AI. \
Thats 300 WM territory. Very consistent loads, nice.
It’s actually the same speed the Barnes factory 180 ammo shoots out of my builds. Was a surprise for sure. But my 300wm handloads run 210’s at close to that speed

When reading the title I was expecting a double rifle with problems, lol.

Looks like you have your loads worked out. Nice shooting!

When reading the title I was expecting a double rifle with problems, lol.

Looks like you have your loads worked out. Nice shooting!
LOL, I made the post on my ipad and it "auto corrected" the title. I tried to edit it but it wouldn't let me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReneeC365

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia