Double vs Bolt .. Speed/Accuracy

I’m sorry but the dude running the bolt rifle moved like a three toed sloth.
Yeah .. idk if this is the best demonstration. Just remember coming across this long ago ...
I do know I'm nowhere near that with a given double ..

I think the guy with the CZ put more effort into getting on his target. Two different guys who shoot differently is not a valid comparison. I think a better illustration would be for the star of the show to film HIMSELF shooting both styles of rifle as fast as possible, then split the screen and run both videos at the same time.

Like to see a redo with a Blaser R8 and double rifle. I’m sure it would at least be closer.

Fun to watch. But not a good video to defend doubles being faster.

The magazine rifle shooter is less than skilled. Stance being the worst of several more.

For myself, shooting four from a magazine rifle versus loading a double and shooting two more.
it wouldn’t even be close. I practice it often at home.

I am not saying that someone else may not be faster and as accurate. But for me.

I would most likely just be getting my sight picture for the 3rd shot with a double. Next to me finishing the forth shot from my bolt gun.

I have far less experience with a double rifle. But the fundamentals are the same as what I learned from early years with my break action 20 gauge hammer gun.

Full disclosure. The 20 was loose and fell open :>))))

The top is standing using sticks bottom is running the bolt as fast possible. 3 loaded then loaded 3 more and shot again. CZ 416 Rigby
IMG_1251.jpeg

Last edited:
Joe Biden on the bolt, he was lost.

None-the-less, it's fair enough, practical accuracy is the goal with these guns, as far as I can tell that guy with the double did great.

So whether that was a master titled guy running the bolt and a master titled guy running the double, to some degree, tends to be a bit moot.

There may have been a bit of a skill difference, but it wasn't like they put Jerry Miculek up against Rosie O'Donnel in a handgun battle.

Fair enough, both can be done well, and if you practice enough, both can be done better.

I think it was I who asked long ago.

@Frederik and @saswart maybe we must do something like this at BASA sometime :LOL:
@DWB we have - before your time :) and it was before good quality cellphone footage. Frederik may have been at the shoot - I think it was Johan P with his Blaser 375 and a 470 NE double, but I might be wrong.

We had a few shooters shooting a charging lion target and this question came up. We ran 2 scenarios with a double and bolt. Scenario 1 (same shooter), both double and bolt with 2 rounds both loaded, then both guns reload 2 and shoot 4 shots. In this scenario, the double was quicker on shots 2/3/4.

However, in scenario 2, when the bolt action had 3/4 rounds in magazine, the result was - double quicker on shots 1&2, but on shots 3 and rest the bolt action won on time. Shot placement on the lions I wish I could remember.

We can definitely do it again - maybe have more compared calibers, such as a 458 in bolt and 450 NE/470NE with static targets maybe

Life or death pinch my pick would be a double.

The bolt gun keeps jamming? He is shooting a rifle that is not his own with iron sights he may or may not be familiar with.

The lesson learned is use a rifle that works with sights of whatever variety are easily seen and practice to the point of being thoroughly familiar with it.

Amateurs practice until they can do it right, pros practice until they cannot do it wrong.

Last edited:
Like to see a redo with a Blaser R8 and double rifle. I’m sure it would at least be closer.

Ive done this
Me on the blaser 416rm and a friend on the krieghoff 375 double
And on the blaser i was done with 4 before he shot his 3rd shot

I am with @BeeMaa, and I suspect @saswart has it correct. Two rounds in a bolt rifle against a double with a reload is a manufactured situation to test. With four rounds against two, I would anticipate two equally skilled shooters would find the double would be quicker on the first two rounds and slower to get off four.

A ringer would a R8. I am pretty confident that I could at least tie a double with it for the first two rounds and easily beat 4.

There’s nothing to debate about here, as long as you don’t try to forcibly push one platform outside it’s designated parameters.

The double rifle gives you the faster second shot, while the bolt action gives you a faster third shot than what could be accomplished with a double rifle.

The bolt action is more accurate out to longer ranges.

I debated the use of both in this article.
Post in thread 'Baagh Shikar: The Art Of Hunting The Royal Bengal Tiger'
https://www.africahunting.com/threa...ing-the-royal-bengal-tiger.77655/post-1121316

"Eric is a terrible big bore shooter and I'm going to whoop up on him in this here video y'all."
He couldn't run the gun off his shoulder? This is not difficult and is the best way to shoot a bolt gun fast. All this dismount business does is increase the motion and time between shots. The bolt shooter didn't lean into the rifle at all and had a a time reacquiring his sights.

The double shooting is smooth. He only broke his cheek weld once to reload saving a lot of time. The reload went well and was very clean.

I'd like to see a well loaded R8 .458 Lott against the double. Old boy would be sweating a little bit more, but he's not as slow as he looks.

Franz Albrecht uses a bolt gun--not a straight pull--and is fast as lightening! But even he would probably lose the speed of his first two shots to a double, or for that matter an auto. I have an uncle who is rabid about squirrel hunting--killed 50 one day just to show off. His son chose (as his make a wish foundation gift) to give him a super accurate Anschutz .22--but uncle Tim has parked it in the safe and gone on to accurized 10/22 because it is so much faster AND less hand movement to give away his position. After the first shot on DG, they might just be more clued in to YOUR location by the action and noise of a bolt action?...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViolaBorth

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]